HDX vs NS01

Posted by: JonathanP on 01 September 2008

Any ideas as to whether there are any technical differences between the standalone HDX and the system-based NS01? I ask as we are having a full Naimnet installation done and the HDX would appear to offer more functionality for much the same money. I do wonder whetehr using it as a CD player, though, may cause more wear and tear if the kids get at it.
Posted on: 01 September 2008 by Frank Abela
Jonathan,

My understanding is that the HDX enjoys quite a bit of development time on lessons learned in the design of the NS-01. Also, the NS-01 is quite a bit cheaper than the HDX isn't it? I thought they were £3200 and £4500 for NS-01 and HDX respectively.
Posted on: 01 September 2008 by Rodborough
Hi JonathanP

I am often criticised for my lack of speed in producing opinions but then I do try and conduct research in a more ordered manner, rather than taking a more journalistic approach where being first to publish is often seen as more important.

The NS-01 has now been here for some time and the HDX (production version) since July if it helps you at all my preliminary findings are that the NS-01 is about on power with Naim’s own CD5x, possible even having a slight edge. The HDX is superior to both and about on power with Naim’s CDX2 or perhaps slightly below but in a close but different scenario and this is likely to cause differences of opinion.

I do stress though these are very much my preliminary findings and for me the project includes also the Sneaky, Majik, Akurate & Klimax DS offerings from Linn and of course the Lavry DAC, the latter being distributed by one of my existing suppliers (ADAM).

I hope you find this helpful though

Warmest regards

Norman
Partner - UHES
Posted on: 01 September 2008 by glevethan
Norman

Care to pass any judgements on the Lavry and where it sits relative to Naim CDP's (of which I have owned all (sans 555)) and relative to Linns streamers (of which I have extensively demoed Akurate/Klimax)? Just curious as the first part of the equation (cables for the DA10) are already in house Winker

Thanks
Gregg
Posted on: 03 September 2008 by JonathanP
Thank you for your observations Norman. The comparison is for both being used as a music server through a distributed system? If so, the NS-01 seems somewhat redundant. I had expected them to be the same device under the skin, so far as the server bits are concerned...