Terje Rypdal

Posted by: Bob Edwards on 18 February 2001

Hey all--

Anyone else like Terje Rypdal ? He records on the ECM label and does what I would try to describe as sparse soundscapes puntuated by some great guitar playing. I have "Blue", "The Singles Collection" and "Skywards."

Any other fans who can suggest what to get next ?

Cheers,

Bob

Ride the Light !

Posted on: 18 February 2001 by fred simon
Fox, perhaps you didn't intend to suggest that Bill Frisell is Norwegian with your heading "Norwegian Guitarists," but in case you did it should be noted that Bill is decidedly "Amurican."

I love Rypdal (and Frisell maybe even more), and one of my favorites by Terje is Waves (ECM 1110).

Posted on: 18 February 2001 by Keith Mattox
Another recommendation for those that enjoy some slow spacy music is the ECM album "Eos", recorded with the cellist David Darling. "Mirage" is a particularly pretty piece.

Cheers

Keith.

Posted on: 22 February 2001 by John C
At a tangent, I went to see Arild Andersen live last night in London. Rypdal used to play with him. His new band is Andersen (bass), the extraordinary John Marshall on drums and Vassilis Tsabropoulos on piano.They played some tunes from their new CD Achirana on ECM. Tsabropoulos is a Greek classical pianist of great talent. His playing was really unique to my ears with some very beautiful compositions. Normally with paino trios I make rather superficial comparisons with say Bill Evans or Jarrett but this trio has a sound all of its own. Andersen has a string of hit ECM albums with some of his compositions reworking of Norwegian folk forms. Marshall is simply a great great drummer who has worked in a wide variety of contexts over the years ( Soft Machine bizarrely!). While not quite my cup of tea I would strongly recommend this band to those of you with love of piano trio/classical influenced jazz and a standard musicianship that even I can see is of a very high order.

John