Possibly a stupid question....

Posted by: Steeve on 07 October 2008

....but was wondering if it would be possible to run a lead from the optical digital output of my V-Box Cable TV box to the optical digital input on my Pioneer CD-Recorder. Anyone know before I buy a (rather long) cable?

Thanks

Steeve
Posted on: 07 October 2008 by james n
If its happy with 48khz audio then yes.

James
Posted on: 07 October 2008 by garyi
Probably just a SPDIF which can be had on ebay for around 15 quid for 10 metres.

Make sure the recorder is an input and not an output though.
Posted on: 08 October 2008 by Steeve
Thanks......a browse in the manual doesn't mention sampling rates supported but it does say you can connect CD, MiniDisc or DAT players to it. (It's quite an old model!) I seem to have a vague recollection that DAT was 48Khz but I could be wrong. Anyone out there with a better memory for seemingly useless information than me?!

Oddly, it also says in the manual not to use an optical lead more than 3m in length though it does not give any reason why.

Steeve
Posted on: 08 October 2008 by james n
Yep - DAT was 48khz.
Posted on: 08 October 2008 by Steeve
Thanks! Not sure which cobwebbed corner of my mind I dug that recollection from though. Think I'll chance it then and try it out.

Cheers

Steeve
Posted on: 08 October 2008 by tonytronic
quote:
Oddly, it also says in the manual not to use an optical lead more than 3m in length though it does not give any reason why

They specify this limit for a reason...! Cool
Optical cable is quite 'lossy' when compared with copper cable for this type of application, hence manufacturers often specify a limitation on optical cable length.
The signal 'loss' is proportional to cable length, so if you use a cable that is too long, the light signal coming out at the far end of the cable may be too small to be received properly. It may also be adversely affected by tight bends in the optical cable which increase internal light reflection...

Tonytronic