Skybox digital to Supernait

Posted by: Hardy on 01 September 2008

Hello,

I am just thinking about a SNait and was wondering if it is possible to connect my skybox (satelite-reciever) digital to the SN.

Problem: The SN only accepts PCM-signals. In the manuel of my skybox is written that it gives the signal out as a bitstrem (32, 44 or 48 kHz, and dolby digital/AC3 chooseable). No chance to set it to PCM output.

The future HDTV-Standard in HDTV-developing country Germany will be dolby-digital 2.0.
No chance for the SN if not converted into PCM I think.

So has anyone experiences with SN and skyboxes?

Kindest regards
Hardy
Posted on: 05 September 2008 by Hardy
Well, seems to be a trivial question or of no interest.
despite of that I made my decision and ordered a SNait.

Moderator, if you ever read these lines, please delete the hole topic.

Thanks
Hardy
Posted on: 05 September 2008 by Duncan Fullerton
If you mean Skybox as in "Sky Television" then it does output PCM 2.0 for most programming, other stuff is DD 5.1. I run mine through a digital input on my n-Vi.
Posted on: 05 September 2008 by thesherrif
I have a sky box ( HD ) connected to the SN DAC..... works well.
Posted on: 05 September 2008 by Hardy
Thanks for your answers.
Gives me hope.
I´ll report as soon as my SNait arives.
Hope it works with my Technisat-reciever. The manuel wasn´t very clear to this point and the answer from the call to Technisat was `only bitstream´. Well, lets try it.
Posted on: 09 September 2008 by Bluetorric
I don't know whether this helps, but I run an optical cable out of my Humax freeview box into optical in on my Supernait, works brilliantly............
Posted on: 10 September 2008 by Hardy
Hello Bluetorric,

it gives hope Smile.
Wether or not, tomorrow my Supernait arrives Cool , so I finally can test it myself.
Posted on: 17 September 2008 by Hardy
It ´s the sixth day my SN is here, now.
It is a very round flat earth thing I have to say Smile.

To my topic: No problem with my Technisat sat-reciever. On normal stereo(mono) output it gives PCM out via digital (optical).
Had a program last night that was chooseable between Dolby-stereo, mono and DD5.1. Surprise: it worked with dolbystereo setting. Of course DD5.1/AC-3 is only a nasty tetetete... .

So propably every stereo (mono) signal is given out as PCM. For DD5.1/AC-3 even the analog output shuts down.

Remark: Should be made more clear described in the manual; even calling to Technisat gave me the wrong information: only bitstream. But that seems only to be correct for the DD formats.
On the other hand the SNait is a rare machine: A stereo amp that accepts digital-signals, but only PCM.

regards
Hardy