cd5i upgrade to sb2 + beresford dac?

Posted by: gilesw on 03 September 2008

Hi Naimers,

I've had my cd5i for a few years now but I've also got a squeezebox kicking about that I should make more use of. I've been reading all the forums about the sb + dac combos sounding really good.

I initially tried my sb2 with the DAC in my Denon amp using flac files and it didn't sound anywhere near as good as the cd5i. Has anyone else had a similar dilema. I am a techy so I think it might be a good time to rid myself of all my cd's. I could probably stump up the cash for a Lavry DA-10 if you guys think it's worth it.

cheers,

g.
Posted on: 03 September 2008 by gilesw
yea I will probably bury them somewhere and definitely keep a second hard disk backup in a remote location.
Has anyone here tried the Stello DA100 with a sb2?

I think all the balanced outputs of the lavry might be overkill for my basic amp.

g.
Does anyone know how I can get a Lavry DA10 in the UK? I'm struggling to find anywhere that sells one.
Posted on: 03 September 2008 by u5227470736789439
Dear Giles,

Before you order anything, change anything, or get too carried away with what other people have written about this or that thing, please, you must set a simple plan - a shortlist of potential items to test with auditioning.

It hardly matters what anyone else thinks about the quality of this or that arangement, and I do see your problem getting hold of certain componenents in the UK, though I think you will find with patience that demonstrations of these options will soon become possible at the more entrepreneurial retalers, very shortly.

Please don't rush, audition and let your ears and wallet fight it out as to what you decide to buy!

ATB from George

PS: Yes I do have a firm opinion on this, but that is only applicable with certainty in my case, and I would only mention it to encourage someone to audition the option. In your case I recommend the audition without any possible colouration of the outcome with my own view! Good luck, and take the time to make a long-term and happy decision! Do not scrap your CDs, even if you go HD, as they are your ultimate back-up source. ATB!
Posted on: 03 September 2008 by CharlieP
gilesw.

As George suggests, you may soon find local dealer in UK. Lavry is in Washington, USA in Pacific Daylight Time zone, GMT - 9 hrs. If no local dealer, they have an on-line store (use Google). An audition would be best, as these things tend to be quite subjective...

I bought mine on a 30-day return, but I kept it. Still, if you can support a local dealer - all the better.

Charlie
Posted on: 18 September 2008 by EmCee
I would seriously give the Beresford a whirl, I currently have it connected to a Philips DVD, tv and comp....sounds very good

My CDX2 and XPS2 are in boxes in the attic...

I beleive the Lavry is even better, however not sure if I can now justify the extra spend !

Cheers

EmCee