Ryan Adams

Posted by: woodface on 30 January 2001

The new album by the above artist, 'Heatbreaker', is an absolute cracker. I suggest you all go and buy it.
Posted on: 05 February 2001 by samo7
Whiskytown are one of my favourite bands..Ryan Adams is very talented...right up there with Uncle tupelo...Sam
Posted on: 06 February 2001 by woodface
Were Ryan's previous band in a similar vein? I really do like his current album and would be grateful of any recommendations as to his previous work. The track with Emma Lou Harris is absolutely stunning ('Sweet Carolina', I think)and he is definately a very special songwriter!
Posted on: 06 February 2001 by Mike Hanson
I just picked it up yesterday. At times it seems similar to Lyle Lovett, Bob Dyllon, Willie Nelson, and such. It seems very honest (i.e. natural versus forced), which is something that I really appreciate. I've only given it a couple of listens, though, so it will be getting a few more spins over the next couple of days.

-=> Mike Hanson <=-

Posted on: 06 February 2001 by samo7
Whiskeytown is an excellent band (try "Strangers Almanac") as well as Uncle Tupelo offshoots "Wilco and Son Volt". Bands like "Old 97's" and "Waco brothers" are also great...I suggest you try a label like "Bloodshot Records" out of Chicago with bands like "Nico Case, The Meat Purveyors, Rico Bell etc." This is a new breed of singer, songwriters in a kind of alt-cowpunk indy type...definitely a must try...sam
Posted on: 07 February 2001 by woodface
Thank you for the information regarding 'Whiskeytown', I already have a couple of Wilco albums although they have not really gripped me.
Posted on: 07 February 2001 by Steve Catterall
I had the same reaction to Wilco and Whiskeytown - they're OK but don't really grab me.

The Ryan Adams disk, on the other hand, I think is wonderful.

He seems to be turning away from the alt.country sound of his old band and going towards the rebel-nashville gang.

You might like to check out the other artists in the gang - Gillian Welsh, David Rawlins, Kim Richey, Lucinda Williams and of course Emmylou Harris amd Steve Earle. They may be more up your street.

Posted on: 08 February 2001 by woodface
Thanks for these, I have a Steve Earl album somwhere (Copperhead Road). It's good to see a few people on the forum with good taste!
Posted on: 08 February 2001 by Steve Catterall
If you like Steve Earle and haven't got the most recent one (Transedental Blues) - it is an absolute must. Even better than the Ryan Adams !