A Few HDX questions which seem to have been lost in the other threads

Posted by: alexdobbie on 02 May 2008

So we have this fantastic sounding (we hope) ripping, storage and playback device.

Can we access content stored on the HDX through a network ?
You have said that you have licensed Apple files but what exactly are the formats that you have licensed ? Is it Apple lossless compatible or are you confusing the MPEG consortiums AAC with Apple ?
Do you know when a manual will appear ?
When are the units going to be available to listen to ? There is talk about it being much earlier than the release date.
Posted on: 02 May 2008 by packerman
Sorry I do not have any answers but I feel this is a thread where it worth asking
1 Can I load my DAT tape onto HDX DIGITALLY?
2 How do I load my revox deteriorating reel to reel onto HDX
BIGGEEST QUESTION
WILL THE BE AN HDS OR HOPEFULLY HD 555?

kind regards Ian
Posted on: 02 May 2008 by pylod
of course there will be an HDS and a HD555...when you can find a NS ref what do you expect ?but maybe it is enough with a hdx first ?. we wll see how it sounds...

maybe it will be an NS REF looking 2 box unit with an aditional 555 PS host Big Grin
Posted on: 02 May 2008 by pcstockton
And even more importantly, for me at least, and the above with analog tapes...

Is there any ADC in the unit for doing vinyl transfers?

Also, does the HDX support 24 bit/99k files? Either in ripping or playing?

If not it is a HUGE miscoming.
Posted on: 02 May 2008 by Manu
No AD converter.
Yes it supports 24/96.

You will have to use your computer and preferably an outboard ADC to convert your analog material to .wav and then copy them to the HDX.
Netstreams have and future NaimNet preamp will have this ADC capability.
Posted on: 02 May 2008 by alexdobbie
As far as I am aware there is no possibility to copy things to the HDX. The HDX discs are a "clean" environment only holding rips from the HDX. I think that it was a mistake to release some details for the product without releasing them all, it's just asking for people to get the wrong ideas over the next few months. ( Me included)
Posted on: 02 May 2008 by Cjones
At the very least, you can access data from the HFX, if your using a Netstreams Naimnet network.

There are user manuals for the NS02, which has much of the functionality, just no touch screen.

And I'm not even a trade member..... Razz
Posted on: 02 May 2008 by Exiled Highlander
Munch

The reality is that if you have a CD player you have been listening to and living with this "digital stuff" since the moment you bought one...

Jim
Posted on: 02 May 2008 by prowla
quote:
Originally posted by alexdobbie:
As far as I am aware there is no possibility to copy things to the HDX. The HDX discs are a "clean" environment only holding rips from the HDX. I think that it was a mistake to release some details for the product without releasing them all, it's just asking for people to get the wrong ideas over the next few months. ( Me included)
It's a taster, and as such it has worked, because people are talking about it.
Posted on: 02 May 2008 by pylod
from what i read , there will be a vinyl to digital converter among the naimnet products...but i donīt know, when it will be released or if it is part of an NS player...

www.naimnet.com

in principal the hdx is an NS3 player but with the possibility to add an xps..or do i misunderstand ?

hey munch...we also discussing loading threads for the superstage here...just ignore all naimnet and hdx threads...i think for such big news they are to little discussions for now. most of them are more skeptical anyway...i think this will change once the hdx will be possible to listen to....

regards p
Posted on: 03 May 2008 by pcstockton
These reasons are exactly why I prefer a PC to DAC set-up.

There are no limitations or exceptions in any fashion.

The things I am actually hearing about the HDX as well as NaimNet, sound discouraging. For $9000 there should be NO limitations.

Ill stick with a top-notch PC/MAC and the best DAC on the market, with plenty of cash to spare. And I assume most people who know what they are doing, concerning digital music, will do the same.

The HDX does not address the fundamental need for an Naim external DAC.

In the meantime I am gogin to start auditioning the wavelength units.

Perhaps the best option is to add a Digital Input to one of the CD players, to use their DAC.

I would REALLY welcome that, if the Naim external DAC is unlikely for some time.

Is there any likelihood of that?

I assume there are many of us out there who BOTH, cannot afford an HDX, and already have everything needed except the external DAC.
Posted on: 04 May 2008 by rupert bear
Does it do internet radio?
Posted on: 04 May 2008 by Adam Meredith
quote:
Originally posted by pcstockton:
Perhaps the best option is to add a Digital Input to one of the CD players, to use their DAC.
I would REALLY welcome that, if the Naim external DAC is unlikely for some time.
Is there any likelihood of that?

Subject to me not knowing what I am talking about - would this not be remarkably pointless?

Surely the DAC in the CD player and its implementation limit its use to DACing data from a CD transport. The BIG advantage here would be - the ability to run an external CD transport through the DAC in your (previously) perfectly well-designed and integrated CD player.

I would (subject to ...) see that as extremely unlikely.
Posted on: 04 May 2008 by Guido Fawkes
quote:
Ill stick with a top-notch PC/MAC and the best DAC on the market, with plenty of cash to spare. And I assume most people who know what they are doing, concerning digital music, will do the same.

Some points to consider for me.

1. I've yet to hear a PC/MAC and a DAC sound anything near as involving as a CDX2/555PS or a humble TT. Moreover, both these formats accept removable media that gives me the ability to store a potentially unlimited amount of music. There are thousand of CDs in my local library I can just borrow and play for example.

2. PCs are usually really ugly and noisy things that come with a lot of junk that I don't need for playing music. Moreover, the OS on a PC is fully of redundant code that runs with zero purpose when driving a music server. I suggest that a purpose written code - i.e. machine code programs - would do the job better.

3. Directly I connect anything to a network then it becomes vulnerable to attack. If I connect it to the Internet then the attack can come from anywhere. If it is wireless then even more vulnerable. Yes I can install firewalls, intrusion prevention systems, network access control mechanisms and ..... but I just want to play my favourite record. Is this really progress?

4. I'm a luddite.

I can see the point of a Naim DAC - if you have a source that is compromised such as DAB or Internet radio or a PC/Mac chucking out music then it certainly sounds better with a good external DAC than without one.

ATB Rotf

PS My one question on the HDX is does it have any code developed by Microsoft in the box (i.e. does it use some form of embedded Windoze)?
Posted on: 04 May 2008 by Chris Kelly
quote:
The reality is that if you have a CD player you have been listening to and living with this "digital stuff" since the moment you bought one...

True enough. But does driving a modern car mean that you have to know how to write engine management system software?
Posted on: 04 May 2008 by Chris West
I think those of you who are in the "just want to play music" camp would be pleasantly surprised. Since my wife is able to use a Naim server to play music without complaining (she usually gets one of my daughters to even operate the TV!) then there is some real progress here. I wouldn't even dream of asking her to try and use a computer for such purpose! She can even rip a disc Eek since that's as easy as playing one. I needn't worry if it's been done right, because the machine simply takes care of it without any fuss.

So what I'm saying is, don't forget the majority of the world that is not necessarily an audiophile, or computer oriented, who DO just want to play their favorite music. If anyones house is like mine, forget about finding the disc you want to play in the right jewel box, let alone replaced anywhere at all! So, with all due respect to the afficionados and enthusiasts that come to this forum, that is more like living in the the real world ... and the real world deserves the option of great replay quality. Let me just say I have witnessed the desire amongst music appreciating individuals who don't even know what a DAC is Winker

Is it possible to have a product that is both high performance and easy to use (that is not just some kind of lifestyle statement)?. I do believe that Naim have hit the Nail firmly on the head with the HDX ...
Posted on: 04 May 2008 by Roy Donaldson
I really like the solutions Naim has come up with.
The 3 NS boxes fit well and then there is the HDX sitting at the mid/top of the normal Naim range.

What would be nice would be a Naim box the same as the NS01, but with no HDD's and the ability to do Internet Radio. Kinda something like the Netstreams SMM box.

I think if that was an option, a lot of people would just go out and buy one of those. I know it's what I am looking for.

Roy.
Posted on: 04 May 2008 by abbydog
quote:
I think those of you who are in the "just want to play music" camp would be pleasantly surprised.

Chris, no disrespect, but it doesn't really compete with grabbing a CD off a shelf and sticking it on, does it?

Music servers have been around for a good five years or so now and I still haven't seen one with a decent user interface, for starters. I haven't spent much time with the latest Naim and Linn offerings but there doesn't appear to have been a revolution to me.
Abbydog,

I suppose to an extent it depends how much you like the physical process of putting something on to play (which is absolutely fine! ... each to their own desire and preference). Fact is, people can choose spontaneously to feed a disc to an HDX and play it just like a CD player. One thing I like, is that you can keep your discs nicely sorted and ready to play ... the rest of the family (if applicable) will more likely reach for the remote, and then you're smiling because you know that your discs will remain clean and scuff free. Also, I know I would rather my girls play their pop songs off the Naim server, especially if we all are going to be hearing it, than listening to iTunes off the iMac speakers.

The above may not be relevant to you, but I think you'll understand what I'm saying. I know that nobody at Naim is stating that people should necessarily replace their CD player, if that is their source of musical joy ... just because Naim are now going to be offering a (rather unique) Hard Disk player. I am sure that the Naim CD players will continue to do very well for the foreseeable future in fact!
Many thanks for the reply, Chris. Appreciate your efforts, even if I'll take a little more convincing!
Posted on: 04 May 2008 by Cjones
quote:
Originally posted by abbydog:
quote:
I think those of you who are in the "just want to play music" camp would be pleasantly surprised.

Chris, no disrespect, but it doesn't really compete with grabbing a CD off a shelf and sticking it on, does it?

I would argue that a media servers with a GOOD user interface will actually promote the listening of music and a greater variety of music. For me, searching for "that" CD has often ended in no listening to anything, or just the same CD, over and over.
While at a NYC based Naim dealer, who is also a Sooloos dealer, I really experienced how amazing it can be. While I cannot speaker for the Naim interface, the ability to instantly flip through 100's of CD's with cover art or sort by all sorts of detailed parameters was awesome. Fortunately for Naim the Sooloos is just a pretty box and a great interface. But the point remains that music servers can increase the users listening time, the variety as well as the number of people that listen. I fall into the example Chris uses, with my wife on my case all the time about this...
Yes (Cjones), I would agree that it's a different kind of listening experience. Once you have a quantity of your own music stored, it can be a very enjoyable musical journey, that one can do as easily as when you're so tired you would otherwise just veg in front of the TV Big Grin . If you are already used to and expect the Naim sound, in order to be musically satisfied, it can be especially intoxicating to have that sound and the above easy access. For me, the Naim HDX player will certainly beat listening to the second rate jukebox kit that used to fulfill that kick ... DAC or no DAC with iTunes!

There are times when I'm perfectly happy to rifle through my CD collection, and find stuff randomly or on purpose. Though like I mentioned before, in my case (for example), it can be darned disappointing to open the intended Radiohead CD jewel case, and find a Spice Girls or Andrea Bocelli CD in it or somesuch!... or just plain empty Frown

But maybe most dads rule the roost like Christopher Plumber in The Sound of Music ... and my disc management is lacking Winker
Posted on: 04 May 2008 by daddycool
quote:
Originally posted by Roy Donaldson:
I really like the solutions Naim has come up with.
The 3 NS boxes fit well and then there is the HDX sitting at the mid/top of the normal Naim range.

What would be nice would be a Naim box the same as the NS01, but with no HDD's and the ability to do Internet Radio. Kinda something like the Netstreams SMM box.

I think if that was an option, a lot of people would just go out and buy one of those. I know it's what I am looking for.

Roy.

In all this (interesting discussion) I have this rather basic question I'm afraid...

What exactly is the difference between the NS boxes and the HDX?

I now gather the NS has to operated with a computer over a network and the HDX is stand-alone, is that it?
Posted on: 04 May 2008 by Slabwax
quote:
Originally posted by Chris West NANA:
it can be darned disappointing to open the intended Radiohead CD jewel case, and find a Spice Girls or Andrea Bocelli CD in it or somesuch!... or just plain empty Frown

Chris,

I think I'd rather find my favorite Radiohead case empty,then to find a Spice Girls disc in its place. Smile

Dean
Posted on: 04 May 2008 by pcstockton
I guess Naim isnt for me....

I REALLY like the sound though.

It like you people are brainwashed or something. It is a cult isn't it?

Reading some posts in here remind me of the bible thumpers who come to my door in black suits, wishing to "save" me.

I will leave you alone to enjoy your LOVE-IN. I think that the Naim-world, is just not for me.

You guys are crazy!!!

But I will surely keep 102/180/Ariva b/c I simply am enthralled by it.

I think it would be best if I stay out of the digi music threads though.

Smile

Good luck with your $9000 PC.

400GB!!! are you kidding me?

they should have thrown a 2x1TB drives in there and RAIDed it.
quote:
It like you people are brainwashed or something. It is a cult isn't it?

Not as long as sceptics are still admitted - unless they decide to exclude themselves...