AV2 with Linn Power (LK series, active)

Posted by: olgoat on 02 May 2005

All
Brand new to the forum and would appreciate any comments.

I currently have an "largely" Linn system (AV5103 into LK85's actively biamping Ninkas and a 5120 center. Lk100 passive into Tukans for surrounds. LP12/Ittok/Aurum BetaS with Monolithic phone stage.)

I have been a Linn fan for quite a long time and this is my second Linn System.

I am looking to change out the 5103 in a move to start moving away from Linn. The AV2 has been suggested as a something to consider.

I would be maintaining my amps and speakers for a while longer and wondered if any on the forum have experience running the AV2 into active Linn LK series amps.

I spoke to Dave at Naim and he indicated that this is something that other customers have done.

Thank you for any consideration as this is going to cost a "pretty penny" to move into.

TWC
Posted on: 02 May 2005 by Jean-Christophe
hi TWC

I am one of those having changed my linn amps (Kairn/klout) for naim amps... on the basis the kairn klout was in my opinion, and in my system (LP12/kans), outperformed by a nait2 (sound level apart).

In your case, I would suggest you should decide whether you prefer naim, and then directly make the jump to a full naim AV system including AV2, amp + Naim Arriva or nSat/nSub. I assume it would be more coherent than a mixed naim-linn system.
Moreover, NSats seems to be killer speakers!!

Jean-Christophe
Posted on: 03 May 2005 by olgoat
That kind of investment is not an option. Moving from Linn to Naim in more gradual steps would work. But thanks for the opinion.

TWC
Posted on: 04 May 2005 by mburch
TWC
I am in the same situation as you and in fact I have switched from Naim to Linn and am now heading back to Naim. The first change to Linn was in search of the convenience of having a Linn 5103 that could play stereo and AV. Out went my 72/HiCap/140 and in came the 5103 and 3 AV5105 amps. After not too long I just missed the Naim stereo sound and wasn't that impressed with the 5103's AV's sound either. So I sold the 5103 and bought an AV2 which is currently plugged into the 5105's and in turn into Naim SBL's. I am having no compatibility problems but realise I am very much in a transition. Next step is to change the Power amps for Naim ones and ultimately get a Naim pre amp to go with the AV2. Despite some comments on this site I would place the 72 head and shoulders above the AV2 on stereo.
Hope this helps.
Simon