NS-01

Posted by: JonathanP on 06 December 2008

Seeems stated capacity if 500 tracks. With regular computer storage behind it, what is the limit?
Posted on: 06 December 2008 by garyi
Well it can stream media so is only restricted by the size of what ever drive you point it at.
Posted on: 06 December 2008 by Patrick F
NS-01 is the same capacity as the HDX.

it does 1 local and up to 4 network streams.

basically all the servers are the same with the exception of the ns03 and hdx having a touch screen and the HDX also having a far better analogue circuit. and some other things as well.

the different models are only different by the number of analogue outs and how many simultaneous streams they can do.
Posted on: 08 December 2008 by Chris Murphy
6 Streams I believe. I am up to 1Tb of off board music with no problems. Database management needs to be perfected before you start ripping and by the time your system gets installed Jonathan, overflow from the NS to outboard NAS will be managed by the NS.

Cheers,

Chris
Posted on: 10 December 2008 by JonathanP
So, no real limit to the amount of storage then? Is the ectra storage as effective as that on the NS-01?
I should probably be asking these questions to John Vivian.
Posted on: 10 December 2008 by garyi
Extra storage will not currently have been ripped with naims ripping engine. That being said they are apparently coming out with new software for HDX which will allow ripping to nas so perhaps the NS01 could benefit from that.
Posted on: 11 December 2008 by js
quote:
Originally posted by garyi:
Extra storage will not currently have been ripped with naims ripping engine. That being said they are apparently coming out with new software for HDX which will allow ripping to nas so perhaps the NS01 could benefit from that.
Files can be moved from NS01 to anywhere in a network and removed from the player.
Posted on: 11 December 2008 by garyi
If you have the password one assumes.
Posted on: 11 December 2008 by Patrick F
you can do that with all servers. yes you need the "secret password"
Posted on: 11 December 2008 by js
Nope. Network sharing. Once your network is setup, all is accessable.
Posted on: 11 December 2008 by Patrick F
you still need a password to copy the data.
Posted on: 11 December 2008 by garyi
I am confident naim themselves mentioned this not long ago. that yes the data is on the drives but you have no access from the network without the user name and password. Much like any sharing infact.

Assuming the software to run the hdx is on them drives, I wouldn't want any t,d, or h gaining access either.
Posted on: 11 December 2008 by David Dever
MUSIC folder, read-only access.
Posted on: 12 December 2008 by Slabwax
Is the NS01 still being shipped? All you see on the Naim site ( both main and U.S. ) is the HDX.

Dean
Posted on: 13 December 2008 by js
Seperate NaimNet website. http://www.naimnet.com/core/index.php