Message to Mike Sae re:Tour of duty

Posted by: Jonathan Hales on 07 December 2003

Hi Mike,

Finally got through Pegasus after working out the sequence of Panzerfausting the tanks, avoiding the infantry just within the time limit imposed. What a level!!

I am now, as I understand from other gamers in the other 'level from hell' in Stalingrad defending the building from tank and infantry attack with nothing to destroy tanks but an old Soviet pop gun.

What fun.

How far are you through and any clues?

Cheers from peace`loving NZ.
Posted on: 07 December 2003 by Mike Sae
You panzerfausted the tanks? I used the 88 but had a hell of a time at it.
Anyways I kind of muddled my way through Pavlov's house- take the tanks out ASAP, keep chucking grenades down the stairs, save lots and load lots. I couldn't recognize a pattern but did notice that no matter where you are, you need watch at least 2 angles and hiding in the corner most definately doesn't work.

Sorry can't be more helpful- all hell breaks loose and basically I just had lots of luck.
Posted on: 07 December 2003 by Jonathan Hales
Thanks Mike,

I'm sitting at my desk anticipating another evening in hells cauldron and will take your advice.

On Pegasus I'm talking about the last level on the bridge?

How the hell did you get to the 88 without being shot to hell by the infantry?

Bloody impressive!

Isnt it a great game!

Cheers,

Jonathan.
Posted on: 07 December 2003 by Justin
Clue me in on this. Is this a an online game, or harddrive game? (Or PS2, etc.)?

Judd
Posted on: 08 December 2003 by Toksik
Justin, it's a 1st person shooter loosely based around Band of Brothers 1940's combat.
i've got the two demo's here and they are fun if you are into gaming in any way,have resisted the urge to buy it as i go BROADBAND this week and look forward to playing it while the wife etc cook XMAS dinner.

dennis Smile
Posted on: 08 December 2003 by Bruce Woodhouse
I've never been into computer games much, I probably buy one for a laugh every five years, but just been given 'Call of Duty' by my brother to use on my all singing and dancing laptop. I think he actually bought it for his 11 year old son and decided it was too violent.

It is mightily impressive, intense and gripping (resembling the opening scenes from Private Ryan at times). I think this is as much to do with excellent sound effects than the graphics. You definitely end a short session with sweaty palms. There does seem to be a place for a bit of thought and strategy too.

I've only scratched the surface, but if subsequent levels get any better it will be very addictive.

I presume 'Tour Of Duty' is a different game but can see why people get into these things in a big way.

Bruce
Posted on: 08 December 2003 by matthewr
I presume "Call of Duty" is "Tour of Duty" renamed in the UK market as the latter term is not as well known over here.

If you like this game then you might also like to try Medal of Honour : Allied Assault. The original game (now available on budget label IIRC) has an amazing recreation of the D-Day landings closely modelled on the opening scene from "Saving Private Ryan" you mentioned. There's a new version out as well set in the Asia/Pacific Theatre called Medal of Honour : Rising Sun (or something).

Matthew
Posted on: 08 December 2003 by Rasher
I'm more of a Barbie Funhouse man myself...
Posted on: 08 December 2003 by Tim Jones
I bought it on Saturday. It's pretty good - although very, very similar feel to Medal of Honour and Wolfenstein. I think the graphics and gameplay are slightly better.

The Pegasus Bridge mission is one of the best so far - the combination of Bren gun and 88mm are a blast. Don't bother with the Panzerfausts. Try using the 88 (between tanks) on some of the enemy infantry...

I only really bought it for the Eastern Front section - looking forward to that.
Anyone played it online yet?

Tim
Posted on: 08 December 2003 by Jonathan Hales
Tim,

I am well into the The Stalingrand level and its awesome with the opening scene straight from the movie enemy at the gates.

Playing on-line is in another league evidently but cant be done with a 56K super slow link, broadband the only way to go.

The game definitely raises the bar over Medal of honour for PC and was developed by the same people who got the pip and left EA Games, who went on to produce the two expansions packs; Spearhead and Breakthrough that just arent as good. If anything, too hard as they progress.

Happy gaming.
Posted on: 08 December 2003 by Tim Jones
Imagine if we'd had these kind of toys when we were kids. It's no wonder all those nine year olds are just lardy blobs with over-developed thumbs...
Posted on: 08 December 2003 by Jonathan Hales
So true,

My dad is 65 and his prime goal in life is having enough computer speed to run the games
smoothly.

All WE had was some Lego and a Skateboard and if you were really privileged, a slug gun.

I well remember the night my dad bought home the first ancient equivalent of the Playstation, the table tennis on TV game with the black breakable plastic controller.

Coooooo, we all said.

Now days it's massive landscapes, 3D vision glasses, steering wheels and pods you can get into, surround sound etc etc.

Kids dont know how lucky they are and you are right, the days of kicking a ball round the garden and jerseys for goalposts are long gone.