Sky+ Excitement

Posted by: throbnorth on 08 December 2003

Just thought I'd mention for the few Sky+ owners here that after almost a year of broken promises, Sky have finally released the software which enables you to record two programmes simultaneously whilst watching a third [previously recorded] programme.

Your box may well be able to do it already [but you won't have noticed anything except maybe the fact it was mysteriously tuned to the welcome channel when you last switched on] - this is the way software updates occur,- by stealth.

Try setting up a dual recording - if it will have none of it, then force a software download by switching of at the mains, waiting about 15 secs, then switching on again with the 'backup' key pressed. When all the lights on the front panel come on, take your finger off the backup key and let it do its thing. With luck, dual recording will now work.

This, BTW, is what you also do when your box locks up for no apparent reason, and helpfully isn't mentioned in the manual.

Coming next, apparently, is the ability to set up recordings by mobile phone. Not quite as exciting, perhaps - but it might occasionally be useful I suppose.

throb
Posted on: 08 December 2003 by Derek Wright
Throb

Do you find that when playing back a Sky+ program that the bass is a bit harsher than the original off air program.

I did a mains power off test to see if the box remembers what one has programmed - and yes it did.

Derek

<< >>
Posted on: 08 December 2003 by MichaelC
quote:
Originally posted by alexgerrard:
What wasn't exciting was when

sound from channels 301, 302 & 303 is intermitently not there

otherwise bloody marvellous.

Mike
Posted on: 09 December 2003 by TomK
Do you have the same flexibility in timer recordings as with an average VCR? E.G. daily, weekly, set on Monday to record on Friday, etc. Sounds like a silly question but we've had Telewest digital for two or three years now and all this stuff was promised at the time but has never happened. Their analog service had perfectly adequate timer facilities.
Alex,
That's similar to how Telewest digital works, the problem being you can only ever highlight today's programmes. Totally inadequate and I've had many arguments with them about it. Their initial sales blurb for digital said something like "Never miss any more favourites when you're on holiday". Fine if you don't go away for more than a day at a time! Their analog system was fine, and in this (for me at any rate) very important aspect was vastly superior.
Posted on: 09 December 2003 by Derek Wright
On Sky+ you can also do a manual record as per a VCR - ie select the channel, day, start and end time time frequency,ie one off, daily weekly etc.
You need this for stations without an EPG entry - for example the sound only channels

It also has a very fast fast forward with instantaneous switch to normal speed so skipping the commercials is faster than on a VCR and also spinnng to a specific part of program is fast.

Great fun

Derek

<< >>
Posted on: 09 December 2003 by throbnorth
Derek, - no can't say I've ever noticed a change in the bass, but then I don't have a home cinema setup, just an oldish biggish Panasonic telly which is resolutely refusing to go wrong so that I may satisfy my LCD/Plasma fantasies. As the box just writes the mpeg2 stream before it's decoded, logically there should be no difference, [but on a forum seriously debating the sonic merits of the different sides of a piece of glass, logic might not get a look in]. You may well be right, but I can't see how degredation might occur just in those bytes that affect bass without other aspects being noticeably altered.

Alex & Mike, - I suppose we have to draw slight consolation from the fact that despite its shape and pretty lights, the thing is actually a computer, running an admittedly elegant, but still hand-crafted, computer program. Looked at in this light, things could be a lot worse. I lost my R3 recording of 'Alcina' in the same way, and I'm still peeved about it [didn't think to try the on/off thing].

TomK, - as well as the standard way of recording [which covers the next two weeks] there is a Manual Recording menu, in which you can specify recording schedules & specific times/days which cover the Mon-Fri, every day, every week type of thing that you are looking for - just like a VCR in fact. This is the way you have to set up radio recordings, as there isn't enough room in the onboard rom to store the times of all those upcoming shopping channel bargains as well as R3 & R4. Personally, I'd rather be able to record interesting looking concerts at the touch of a button than not worry about missing Raquel Welch's Wig Hour on Ideal World, but then that's just me.

throb
Posted on: 09 December 2003 by throbnorth
Great minds, Derek Wink
Given that after 4 years Telewest haven't even been able to come up with a satisfactory timer for their digital system gawd knows when we'll get the equivalent of Sky+. It's just about enough to make me ditch cable and go for satellite although I still think that in the long term that would be a backward step.
Posted on: 09 December 2003 by Derek Wright
I forgot to mention - there are web pages that describe how to swap the fixed disk in the Sky+ box for a larger capacity drive so that you can store even more drivel and trivia <g>

The Sky installer who installed my box suggested that one should wait for the warranty to run out before one starts enhancing the box.

Derek

<< >>