AVG ... Not what it could be

Posted by: Arun Mehan on 19 December 2003

Just a posting for all you AVG users out there.

My friend's free subscription for Norton Antivirus 2003 ran out so we installed the 2004 version. After rebooting, we encountered some problems connecting to his high speed connection so we decided to try AVG. Seemed like everything was working fine until it detected a virus a few days later. AVG decided to exit windows and show the virus alert on the log in screen of Windows XP. Instead of attempting to quarantine or delete the virus, it told us to run the program from within windows. So we did ... only to find that after 26 mins. of hdd crunching, it couldn't find it. Nice. This went on for a few days after which we were thoroughly disgusted with AVG. We deleted it and decided to give NAV 2004 another chance. Fortunately everything worked fine this time and the viruses (not virus!) were taken care of. So I just wanted to warn all of you AVG users out there that you might have a latent virus hanging around on the hdd waiting to wake up and attack.

Maybe the professional version is better, but the free version certainly wasn't much help in our case. True, NAV 2004 is intrusive and takes up a lot of system resources, but in my mind it's worth it.
Posted on: 19 December 2003 by count.d
Everyone always comes to my way of thinking.

I'm always right.

Norton Antivirus 2004 is excellent.
Posted on: 19 December 2003 by Steve G
quote:
Originally posted by count.d:
Everyone always comes to my way of thinking.

Are you sure - I don't see too many Vauxhall owners on here? Razz

Regards
Steve
Posted on: 19 December 2003 by Tony Lockhart
I use avg, so although my fingers are crossed, perhaps these viruses could be so kind as to knock out my hdd in time for Christmas!

Tony
Posted on: 19 December 2003 by garyi
Whats a virus?
Posted on: 19 December 2003 by Steve G
No point writing a Mac virus as their users are suffering enough already...

Regards
Steve
Posted on: 20 December 2003 by Jez Quigley
The virus that AVG detected was probably lurking in your system restore. When you subsequently ran AVG it couldn't remove it as windows prevents access to the system restore files. Try turning off system restore, running AVG again, and then turning system restore back on. AVG is an excellent product that doesn't f*** up your other software (DVD writing for example) like Norton can.

"Be my lover, don't cause me pain, just play me John Coltrane"
Posted on: 20 December 2003 by Arun Mehan
Count, I've always been a Norton AV fan. It's just that everybody here kept singing the praises of AVG so I thought I would give it a whirl. As you can see, I won't be trying that again.

Jez, do I detect some hostility there Wink We've been burning like madman without any problems so I guess we had an isolated AVG incident and you had a Norton incident. Whatever works I suppose. But having to go through all the steps you mentioned just to get rid of ONE virus ... can't be bothered.

Garyi, perhaps I can get a friend of mine to write a virus or worm for you so you can appreciate what the fuss is about Big Grin
Posted on: 21 December 2003 by Jez Quigley
Ok Arun, peace restored!

Once a virus is 'helpfully' backed up by Windows restore I think you'll find most virus killers need it switched off in order to do their stuff. It's no effort - just a few clicks My Computer>properties>system restore

"Be my lover, don't cause me pain, just play me John Coltrane"
Posted on: 22 December 2003 by blythe
The other thought is I've heard that unless Anti Virus software is TOTALLY removed including all the bits that a normal uninstall doesn't remove, installing anohter AV software can lead to problems including false detections.
Having said that, the system restore feature on XP sounds more likely!

Computers are supposed to work on 1's and 0's - in other words "Yes" or "No" - why does mine frequently say "Maybe"?......
Posted on: 22 December 2003 by Roy T
My copy of Spybot Search & Destroy often informs me that I have a copy of LavaSoft Ad-Ware on my machine and then Ad-Ware tells me that Search & destroy is installed. It pays to keep both of them them on their toes!

Roy
Posted on: 23 December 2003 by Arun Mehan
Preach on Brother John, preach on. But AVG is free also.

Anyways, I REFUSE to pay for software even though I must have the latest version Big Grin