What is the procedure for a software update on AV2 ?

Posted by: karyboue on 05 August 2005

My dealer never updated any AV2. He received the software updates but couldn't manage to upload it in my AV2 (still in AVC03).

So, can anyone tell me what is the specific procedure ... that I could teach to my dealer ?

After my still buggy DVD5, I hope that my AV2 is not faulty Confused .
Posted on: 05 August 2005 by SimonJ
He will have to load some software onto a laptop, plug the laptop into AV2 and update the AV2 from the laptop. I came in whilst my dealer was still doing my AV2 and DVD5 and the software to do the AV2 looked pretty fancy, but I did not see him set up the laptop and plug it all in. I think the CD comes with some pretty comprehensive instructions though. My DVD5 is now much less buggy and my AV2 now integrates with the DVD5 via an RJ45 network cable.
Posted on: 05 August 2005 by karyboue
Thanks Simon,

My dealer kept my AV2 one afternoon plus one more day to check why the update failed but he doesn't know if he did it right or wrong as he never did any update of that matter before.
Posted on: 05 August 2005 by Manu
Karyboue,
I can`t believe what you say, your dealer has never done an update on an AV2. Has he ever used one at least....
Are you sure you can trust him to do it...

Anyway, the kind of info (How to do it?) should not come from this forum but from the distributor (or Naim) and directly to the dealer.
Posted on: 06 August 2005 by SimonJ
quote:
Originally posted by karyboue:
Thanks Simon,

My dealer kept my AV2 one afternoon plus one more day to check why the update failed but he doesn't know if he did it right or wrong as he never did any update of that matter before.

I think it's very important that the pc is setup with the right com port connection settings. I think the CD comes with very detailed instructions that should be followed to the latter.
Posted on: 06 August 2005 by karyboue
Hi Manu,

My dealer has an old chip AV2 ... so he cannot update.
The other point is that unless we read the forum we never know when an update is available (that's the point of an other topic) and from what I have seen on Naim's firmware list, the latest update for the AV2 is AVC0106 (never heard of it before on the forum).

And If I had not seen on the doc of the DVD5 that it could be linked with the AV2 with a new firmware, I would have had never looked for an update I guess.
Posted on: 06 August 2005 by SimonJ
Mine reads AVC0106 - F658
Posted on: 08 October 2005 by karyboue
I can't believe it, my AV2 has a dead chip, that's why it refuses the upgrades. My dealer can't do anything about it, it has to be sent to the distributor. Frown
Posted on: 08 October 2005 by Manu
How do you know a chip is dead.
Posted on: 10 October 2005 by karyboue
My dealer told me so. He tried again to upgrade my AV2. The PC finds the AV2, but it can't upgrade, something like the AV2 doesn't answer. He had a talk with the french distributor who told him that he had the same problem before. Like mine, the AV2 is perfectly working and sounding but it is blind to update, it was a dead chip. My unit has to be sent to him.
Posted on: 10 October 2005 by Manu
Strange, never happened this side of the Ocean.
Are you sure the settings of the PC RS232 port are ok? the right cable is used (not a nul modem)? The PIC upgrade has been done?
Is the Naim service department aware of this problem?
Because changing a chip in an Av2 is not an easy task (they are all SMT).
I'm rather sceptic....If it is a possible problem, i'd like to know about it.
Posted on: 12 October 2005 by karyboue
quote:
Originally posted by Manu:
Strange, never happened this side of the Ocean.
Are you sure the settings of the PC RS232 port are ok? the right cable is used (not a nul modem)? The PIC upgrade has been done?
Is the Naim service department aware of this problem?
Because changing a chip in an Av2 is not an easy task (they are all SMT).
I'm rather sceptic....If it is a possible problem, i'd like to know about it.

I have no idea about all this but I believe (hope Confused ) that my dealer set up everything right even if he never updated any AV2 before. The PIC is the last one in O3 software version.
All I know is that I have to pack the AV2, bring it to my dealer who will send it to the distributor who will fix it. If you want, I ask some more infos about the failure when I bring my AV2.

By the way, what is a nul modem cable ... I am a Mac user ?
Posted on: 13 October 2005 by Adrian F.
karyboue: Being a Mac user is a bad excuse Roll Eyes I'm one too... <zynical mode off>

No thread Hijack, just a short IT info: When you use a serial cable to connect a modem to a computer, or to connect two computers together, there is a difference. The cable and the connectors look the same, but inside the pins are wired differently. Send has to go to receive, and vice versa. The other way round you get send to send and receive to receive. Not much chance to establish a connection!

You perhaps know the problem with ethernet patch cables? Computer to switch = standard cable. Switch to switch = crossed cable. That's the same thing. More up-to-date switches or hubs have separate "upconnect" ports or buttons to cross-out the send and receive pins inside one port. So you don't have to use special cables.

Btw. good luck with your AV2 upgrade. I think naim dealers and computers are like flat earth and round earth. They don't go well together.

happy listening
Adrian