Questions from a newcomer...

Posted by: Jean-Denis on 02 May 2005

Hello all,

I am new on this site and I have few questions, because I am considering the DVD5 as a DVD/CD player... Could you please give me your advises?

I have currently an Onkyo TX-DS989 amplifier and a JM Lab Cobalt 5.1 speakers system.

I am considering to start a Naim AV system, following these steps :

• DVD5 player.
  • Then I was thinking to buy a Naim pre-amp (AV2?) and use my Onkyo as power amp.
  • Then change my TV with a 34" or 37" Plasma (do I need to buy the scaler card for the DVD5 now?)
  • Finally buy the NAP175 and NAP150 power amp (I don't understand the
    quote:
    Please note that for DTS use a further NAP150 will be required.
    in the AV2 spec : does it mean I would need 2 NAP150???)

Of course, these steps would be differed in time, as this represents a lot of money...

Could you please let me know what you are thinking : is it the correct way to plan, or should I be looking for something else, or to do otherwise?

Thanks in advance for any guidance,
    Jean-Denis.
  • Posted on: 02 May 2005 by Jay
    Welcome JD

I think you've made a good fist of it all in all. I'd start with a DVD5 in your position too, starting from just about scratch. I assume you're listened and got a taste for Naim AV, hence the interest?

quote:

• DVD5 player.

• Yup, great start, you can use that with your Onkyo and speakers...

quote:

• Then I was thinking to buy a Naim pre-amp (AV2?) and use my Onkyo as power amp.

• Yup, that'll work too. You'll just need some din to rca leads made up to run the various signals into the Onkyo.

quote:

• Then change my TV with a 34" or 37" Plasma (do I need to buy the scaler card for the DVD5 now?)

• Scaler card is not available yet and you may not even need it. As long as your new Plasma/LCD/projector has a DVI or HDMI you'll be laughing.

quote:

• Finally buy the NAP175 and NAP150 power amp (I don't understand the "Please note that for DTS use a further NAP150 will be required." in the AV2 spec : does it mean I would need 2 NAP150???)

• For 5.1 you'll need 5 channel amplification and an active sub. The 5 channels can be NAP150 and NAPV175 for example. I think the quote you reference is referring to DTS 6.1. That would need an additional NAP150 to run those last set of speakers.

Hope that helps. If you're looking for a complete system that does music (very well) and movies (bloody excellent!) then you're on the right track.

You might want to think about speakers too at some stage.

Best of luck. J
    Posted on: 02 May 2005 by Cjones
    Hmm, I think I would go a different direction, based on the adage; you’re only as good as your weakest link.

I would start with the Av2 and or the amps. Naim is known for amps, preamps and CD players.

I really like the sound of the av2 and enjoy its relative simplicity. It does not sound like you need video switching, so I would hop on it.

Further, I would also jump on the amps. My own two cents would be to get a 200 for your front mains. I have the NAPV 175, and was not blown away for use with mains, but the 200 was and still is very impressive. I should add that I think the 175 is fine for the surround bits.

As for the DVD5, until you have something that you can actually enjoy a 16:9 aspect ratio, and truly capitalize off your DVD player, I would wait.
    If there is anything that will change due to technology, it’s going to be this. And for what it costs, I think you want a couple of fully enjoyable years out of it!

Good luck

Chris
    Posted on: 03 May 2005 by Jean-Denis
    Hello and thank you for your comments,

This is really helping me to make up my mind Razz ... In fact this is rather confirming what I though is right...

I think I will go for the DVD5 now and the Plasma screen next (I will be careful with the DVI/HDMI input), then I will upgrade the audio part (AV2, then power amps). Because for the time being, I can live very well with my Onkyo...

Best regards,
    Jean-Denis
    Posted on: 03 May 2005 by karyboue
    And don't forget the Fraim.

... may be it is the first article to go for in the Naim range.