iTunes

Posted by: Lark on 17 May 2008

Hi

I don't particularly like the sound of iTunes tracks going through my set (no DAC) but they have some great iTunes exclusive collections and live sets. These are not available to buy on CD or anywhere else, hence I am looking to gain better sound quality and keep the iTunes exclusives.

Would a Naim HDX allow me to do so (number one choice)?

Would a Linn box allow this?

Should I buy a DAC and shut upWinker?

Cheers Karl
Posted on: 17 May 2008 by Steve S1
Why not try a DAC? You can get them to audition.

You shouldn't have any problem with iTunes 7, just make sure your settings for iTunes and your operating system are correct.

Steve
Posted on: 17 May 2008 by Lark
Hi

Do you mean with iTunes 7 I shouldn't have a problem using a HDX?

Cheers Karl
quote:
Originally posted by Lark:
Hi

Do you mean with iTunes 7 I shouldn't have a problem using a HDX?

Cheers Karl

You don't need an HDX. You might want one when you hear it but that's different.

If you have iTunes and your PC/Mac set up properly and your music is lossessly ripped, a good DAC is all you need to get excellent sound and they are not that expensive.

Steve
OK Steve

I think I will try a DAC, but the problem is having to find a good one, and as it will be a 3rd source and maybe only temp (I will probably get a Naim bit of kit latter this year or early next) I do not know where to start or how much to pay. I have read all the posts on this DAC that DAC and can find no real answer. I hate faffing with Hifi thats why I buy all Naim, clunk, click, fits and sounds A1.

In simple terms I am drawn to the simple idea of a HDX if it allows me to play iTunes downloads/ exclusive compilations.

Cheers Karl
Karl,

If you have a bit of a "google" and try a couple of the other forums, you will see plenty of comment. Popular DACs include the Beresford (£100ish, I believe), the Benchmark DAC1 and the Lavry DA10 at about £700. All of those will be a lot better than no separate DAC, the last two are excellent.

If you want a simple Naim solution without bothering to try anything else, the Supernait is a DAC with a free amplifier thrown in. Winker But costs significantly more.

Steve
Thanks Steve I will poke around PFM etc, and look further into the Lavry. Supernait would be great but I have a 552/500Winker

Cheers Karl
Posted on: 17 May 2008 by Paul Hutchings
As I understand it the HDX won't let you play anything that has DRM, so anything from the iTunes store is out, though Apple audio codecs themselves aren't a problem.

A DAC would be one solution, or if you do go down a different road you could burn the audio to CD and then re-import it.
quote:
Originally posted by Lark:
Thanks Steve I will poke around PFM etc, and look further into the Lavry. Supernait would be great but I have a 552/500Winker

Cheers Karl

Karl,

I'm getting good results. When you get one, e-mail me (address in profile) and I'll be happy to share settings info.

Steve
Thanks Steve that is very kindSmile.

That is a great idea Paul never thought of the burning option.

I will look into Lavry, SH Meridian and SH Chord. I may go cheap with a couple hundred pounds DAC, then if I like what it can do, go a little more exotic. I think I need to live with this 'new' technology a bit before I plow in with both size tens.

Thanks for all the help.

Karl