AV2 Subwoofer setting

Posted by: David Young on 17 June 2005

When we select no subwoofer and main front speakers as large speakers, will the AV2 channel the LFE signal to the main front speakers or not?

Thanks

David
Posted on: 20 June 2005 by Adrian F.
Hi David.

Yes, that's exactly what he does (and what every surround-sound processor should do). I have this kind of 4.0 setup without subwoofer and center for the moment.

But you must feed the signal via a digital input into the AV2. Over the analogue outputs of the DVD player, you have only the mixed-down 2 channel track. The LFE channel gets cut out there completely (defined by Dolby Digital specifications). I found that out, after moving up to AV2 from direct connected DVD player to analogue preamp.

happy listening
Adrian
Posted on: 20 June 2005 by Adam Meredith
quote:
Originally posted by David Young:
When we select no subwoofer and main front speakers as large speakers, will the AV2 channel the LFE signal to the main front speakers or not?

Thanks

David

Yes that is what it does.
Posted on: 20 June 2005 by Mark R
Hi Adrian,

quote:
The LFE channel gets cut out there completely (defined by Dolby Digital specifications). I found that out, after moving up to AV2 from direct connected DVD player to analogue preamp.

I'm curious - how significant was the effect for you when you moved from direct DVD-preamp connection to going via the AV2? Was it very noticeable with a e.g. 2.0/4.0 setup, or was the effect more subtle, and dependent on range of the front speakers?

Many thanks,
Mark.
Posted on: 22 June 2005 by Adrian F.
Hi Mark

Yes, the difference was significant! And not only because the surround speakers take you more inside the movie. That's what I expected. But I was quite surprised, that I had become more grunt in the lowest registers and spectacular sub-bass effects that where missing before. That's why I searched the net and found out about this mentioned dolby specification, which explained me why this was so... The chapters 3.4 and 3.5 of following PDF document might be of interest (only the last paragraph of each for diagonal readers):

http://www.dolby.com/assets/pdf/tech_library/46_DDEncodingGuidelines.pdf

About compatibility in downmixing multichannel to stereo. And about LFE + bass management.

Of course, the results are dependant of the dvd material, and the capabilites of your speakers. Btw. I use DBL's as front-speakers Cool Take a look in my public profile for the full setup. Your mileage may vary.

When you need to know, where to look for good bass demos, check out that list:

http://www.svsubwoofers.com/faq.htm#moviedemos

I'm sure, you'll find some of these discs in your colletion.

happy listening
Adrian
Posted on: 23 June 2005 by Mark R
Hi Adrian, Many thanks for the document links. I will try and demo this myself sometime (must ... resist ...). I'm sure your ears were opened when good LFE went through your DBLs for the first time!