Yellow Dog

Posted by: Minky on 06 November 2003

Read this a few days ago. Will keep my opinions to myself for fear of evisceration (or worse) at the hands of our resident anti-Amis militia, but can anyone (Herm) tell me :

(1) Where the connection between Clint Smoker and Joseph Andrews was made.

(2) If K8 really just ended up having a sex change. Either I have missed something or this was a disappointingly childish ending to a fantastically promising subplot.

(3) If 101 Heavy landed safely or not. My impression was that the comet initially created a downdraft, which caused the wing to touch the motorway but then an updraft, and a cushion and saved the day, but my impression could very well be bollocks.
Posted on: 06 November 2003 by Mike Sae
Good god man, I'm half way through this. I almost read those spoilers (I see someone gets a sex change).

Whoever said Koba the Dread is crap was right, but like hard drugs, I can't help but go back for more.
Posted on: 06 November 2003 by Minky
Oops. I didn't think there were any other fans out there in Naimland. Sorry, but I think you will agree that, as usual with MA, the rusty old peg of the plot doesn't really matter - it's, the Saville Row suit hanging from it that is important.
Posted on: 06 November 2003 by Mike Sae
Precisely. The man has a charming way with words, what can I say.

"[he] was built as tall and as wide as a toilet stall".

heh.

"Money" started it all.
I have "Other People" laying around here as well, but haven't been able to get in to it. The start seems very un-Amisesque. Is it worth preservering?

(he said seeping his eyes of the top post)
Posted on: 07 November 2003 by herm
It's been a while but as I recall the answer to (1) is the Victoria pictures and (3) dunno, 'cause I skipped the entire aeroplane thing - I always do with M.A.

Herman
Posted on: 07 November 2003 by Minky
Ahah ! Now I know why all of the quotes from Time magazine's review of YD (all of their illustrations of MA's mastery of the lingo) were from the first 5 pages of the book, and why this is a fairly common occurrence : it's because you book reviewers don't actually read the bloody books. Smile
Posted on: 07 November 2003 by Tim Jones
Mike -

'Other People' is OK, but far from his best. It lacks the really black humour and incision of the later books and wanders around in a philosophical way

My second favorite MA (after Money, obviously) is Dead Babies, which contains some of the funniest things he's written - especially the part about Keith Whitehead's family squeezing into the car.

Unfortunately some Lottery funded nincompoops had a go at filming this a few years ago, with predictable results.

Tim
Posted on: 07 November 2003 by herm
quote:
Originally posted by Minky:
you book reviewers don't actually read the bloody books.

I can't speak for other people but I always read the book from start to finish, and if that means I have to skip the occasional dead boring page, so be it.

As it happens I just can't abide the way Amis writes about air travel as if he's a hundred years old, and it's the scariest thing on earth.

Herman
Posted on: 07 November 2003 by Richard Dane
I rather gave up with MA around the time of the release of Time's Arrow.

Probably a mistake as he has invented some of the most deliciously disgusting characters in modern fiction. Keith Talent is a particular favourite of mine. I keep thinking he'll crop up one day with Vic Twemloe (sp) on TV at Lakeside....

Richard
Posted on: 07 November 2003 by Tim Jones
'"Darts", said Keith'

I dimly remember TV adaptation starring Harry Enfield as Keith and Gina Bellman as Nicola Sixx.

When Time's Arrow came out I felt a bit weird about it. (Didn't actually read it of course, oh no)

Then I did read it a couple of years ago and now think it's one of the best things MA has done.

Tim
Posted on: 07 November 2003 by Minky
quote:
Originally posted by Tim Jones:
'"Darts", said Keith'

I dimly remember TV adaptation starring Harry Enfield as Keith and Gina Bellman as Nicola Sixx.

When Time's Arrow came out I felt a bit weird about it. (Didn't actually read it of course, oh no)

Then I _did_ read it a couple of years ago and now think it's one of the best things MA has done.

Tim

Tim,

I agree. I read "Times Arrow" in one sitting (not at all normal for me) and was spellbound from start to finish. It ruined me for other books for weeks afterwards. From a purely literary standpoint, and Herm notwithstanding, I reckon it's his best.

I also heartily agree with your other post. The two Keiths are incredible characters but Whitehead is my favourite. There are shades of him in Clint Smoker (they have very similar shoes).