We Popped our Cherry!!

Posted by: Justin on 23 December 2003

Well, who among you Canadians and Anglos will be the first to welcome us to the club?

Beef exports were one of our strongest export markets - accounting for, I think, almost 25% of the world's consumption of beef. I'm guessing those will be cut by 90% overnight. McDonalds, Burger King and Taco Bell are going to take it on the chin, no doubt. And what are all the Atkin dieters going to do?

I'm predicting that we will see 5-10 more sick cows in the US, McDonalds will annouce either (1) full testing of every cow in the chain or (2)nothing but imported beef. You know there might not be enough beef produced in the world to feed McDondalds that does not come from Canada, UK, Japan or US. Australia will corner the market.

Judd
Posted on: 24 December 2003 by oldie
Tom,
very good but,where the h-ll do you find them?
oldie.
Posted on: 24 December 2003 by Derek Wright
So at last the US admits to having BSE - I wonder how many other cases have been lost on the prairie

I was in Austin in 1996 when there was a conference/meeting of farmers associated with beef cattle and there was concerned talk about BSE in the corridors.

Derek

<< >>
In the corridors

absolutely - it can spread to all the rooms including the kitchen<g>.

PS I like the windoze shutdown animation on the mad cow site.

Derek

<< >>
Posted on: 24 December 2003 by Justin
You are all too cynical. Is that the story then? That for years we've been getting postive tests for BSE, and we decide, finally, two days before Christmas, with the economy on the upswing and Bush's popularity on the rise, to go to media with one case.

This is a disaster, and it could not have come at a worse time for the US or for Bush. Even if this is contrived, this would have been the worst time to bring it out.

Besides, look at Canada. They had ONE cow with BSE in thier history. ONE cow. What are the odds of just having ONE cow with BSE? You'll need to be prepared to accuse them of the same sort of conspiracy. I don't think you can. We may have more cows with BSE. But I cannot fathom the notion that this is not our first cow.

Judd
It is not that positive tests have been ignored - but that testing may have been ignored, or suspect cows have been quietly put down without any paperwork being raised, who knows - are all people involved in the business publicly minded?

It is very difficult for any country to claim to be free of BSE - I think that a large number of the European countries have the disease - it is more a matter of how much they are prepared to discuss the subject.

Derek

<< >>
Sorry ag,
but have to disagree,the worst side effect was seeing young people suffer,who had been encouraged to eat burgers "it's all beef"
It's what happens when politicians and business start to interfere with nature ie feeding meat to herbivores to maximize profit.
Sorry wrong time of year to get heavy.
oldie.
Posted on: 24 December 2003 by Roy T
John Gummer and a beef eater, one of the long enduring images that made the public quite sick at the thought of Gummer and BSE.

Roy
Posted on: 24 December 2003 by Mekon
As a youth I used to weep in butchers shops.
It was politicians that made me weep ! still do as a matter of fact
oldie.
Posted on: 24 December 2003 by MichaelC
quote:
Originally posted by oldie:
It was politicians that made me weep ! still do as a matter of fact
oldie.

It didn't take long to arrive at the politicians but then they are all mad cows Big Grin

Merry Christmas

Mike
Posted on: 25 December 2003 by HTK
quote:
Originally posted by Justin:
Well, who among you Canadians and Anglos will be the first to welcome us to the club?
Judd

You are not welcome in this club. It's a bad place to be. Inevitable I suppose. Bad luck - time to officially join the mysery.

I find it very hard to make light of, and impossible to be smug about such things. It's a tragedy.

Harry