Pathetic

Posted by: Duncan Fullerton on 06 August 2008

Where has the thread gone where a paying customer asked for some help with his HDX and connecting it to the internet to fetch information?

Adam, if you are the moderator responsible for removing thread this then you should be ashamed.

Unless I'm badly misreading my browser this thread no longer exists and has been pulled for no reason other than that it contained a modest HDX "issue". If it's been moved elswhere - and I've searched but cannot find it - then I apologise. But as it stands it looks like censorship of the most pathetic kind.

I'm not likely to get any response other than banning, deletion or some hagiographic butt kissing so I think I'll raise this on PFM (that's bound to get this thread deleted now).

I've been a Naim customer for over 20 years and been a fan. I have three Naim systems at home. JV would be embarassed at the lack of open discussion now allowed. Adam, do us all a favour and quit.
Posted on: 06 August 2008 by David Dever
No offense, but I'm not sure Adam's even seen a working HDX, enjoying his respite in the south of France–attacking him for not being able to help is a tad bit over the top, clearly.

However–assuming a properly configured home router which can provide a network address and DNS server automatically to the unit (in some cases not an entirely "given" assumption), a unit sent fresh from the factory ships configured for DHCP, which should work fine using a wired Ethernet connection (for best results and least amount of headaches).

I'm not a big fan of Ethernet-over-mains or wireless USB adapters, as these require pre-configuration to work which, once installed, may not always work exactly as planned–stick with wired Ethernet. (You can't "dummy-proof" network setup, with apologies to those who are IT-challenged, no intended slight to you.)

If I were an end-user with this type of problem, and, given the nature of the unit (which requires an external software utility to change IP address / gateway / netmask / DNS), I'd contact the retailer or integrator who supplied the unit first, not this Forum where few if any people have any real experience with HDX (or NS01, for that matter).

If the unit has had it IP setup changed along the way, again, I'd contact my retailer / integrator to re-configure the unit for proper use in my own setup. (This is probably one opportunity to insist that the equipment be installed by a trained, certified professional.)
Posted on: 06 August 2008 by imperialline
quote:
Originally posted by Duncan Fullerton:
Where has the thread gone where a paying customer asked for some help with his HDX and connecting it to the internet to fetch information?

Adam, if you are the moderator responsible for removing thread this then you should be ashamed.

Unless I'm badly misreading my browser this thread no longer exists and has been pulled for no reason other than that it contained a modest HDX "issue". If it's been moved elswhere - and I've searched but cannot find it - then I apologise. But as it stands it looks like censorship of the most pathetic kind.

I'm not likely to get any response other than banning, deletion or some hagiographic butt kissing so I think I'll raise this on PFM (that's bound to get this thread deleted now).

I've been a Naim customer for over 20 years and been a fan. I have three Naim systems at home. JV would be embarassed at the lack of open discussion now allowed. Adam, do us all a favour and quit.

Yep, I have been puzzling as of why the HDX thread got deleted!
Would Naim give some explanation regarding the HDX thread deletion? Could it be a technical reason or software bug or some kind of over-enthusiastic censorship at work?
If I recall right, some of my postings got deleted without any explanation (maybe per forum rules), my request for removal reason got deleted as well, although, to the best of my knowledge, I did not say anything commercial or detrimental to Naim.
Posted on: 06 August 2008 by dave simpson
Sorry fellas--put the conspiracy theories back in their box for another day. Hints are two posts above if you'll read a bit more carefully.
Posted on: 06 August 2008 by Exiled Highlander
Plus Naim Forum posters who take their personal gripes to other forums (and have them locked for breaching AUP rules there as well) and them come back here to complain again...amazing huh?

Jim
Posted on: 06 August 2008 by kuma
It takes all sorts.
Posted on: 07 August 2008 by Paul Stephenson
calm down guys, I took it out, the original poster did not reply to the request for more info, we mailed him directly, he had a problem seeing dtc on his laptop, he needs to go via his router.
the rest of thread ended up trying to have a cheap shot at adam so i nuked it.
best
paul
Posted on: 07 August 2008 by Duncan Fullerton
quote:
Originally posted by Paul Stephenson: The rest of thread ended up trying to have a cheap shot at adam so i nuked it.
best
paul
My apologies to Adam for pointing the finger at him for the original thread dissapearing.

Duncan
Posted on: 07 August 2008 by Adam Meredith
quote:
Originally posted by Duncan Fullerton:
]My apologies to Adam for pointing the finger at him for the original thread disappearing.
Duncan

Thank you for that - it IS easy to make assumptions but one should be able to acknowledge these may be wrong.

I was, in fact, in touch with R&D but the feeling was this was likely to be something simple (!) to do with the normal piece of cake that is router configuration. As such, it would be dependent on a number of variables and best dealt with directly.

I was then forced offline by a series of intense thunder storms (just when I was thinking "We don't seem to have had many storms this year").
Posted on: 07 August 2008 by PMR
quote:
Originally posted by Adam Meredith:
I was then forced offline by a series of intense thunder storms (just when I was thinking "We don't seem to have had many storms this year").
Yes, it was a bit of a light show last night.
Posted on: 07 August 2008 by Mr Underhill
I feel soooooooo sorry for you both; just HAD to open another bottle while you sat out the rough weather eh.

M
Posted on: 07 August 2008 by garyi
Haha, yea I would take rain in Andover to rain in France anyday.
Posted on: 12 August 2008 by nocker
I am the paying customer Duncan mentions above. To keep you all informed, Paul emailed me whilst on his holiday to try and sort the problem out. He then got Tom to phone me in the evening whilst he was also on his holiday to talk me through the set up problem I was experiencing.
Three hours later (I am not too hot on the computer!!) and I am up and running.....many thanks guys for the excellent service you provided. Jon