HDX Alternatives

Posted by: joc3721 on 11 September 2008

The main alternatives in this category seem to be the Sooloos and Qsonix units. Both of these have superior user interfaces and greater internal storage capacity than the HDX. And, with Qsonix, the music giants store. Has anyone compared the HDX to these units? The only advantage I can see for going with the HDX is better sonics, if that's true. Anybody know or have direct experience?
Julian
Posted on: 11 September 2008 by David Dever
Sound quality, clearly–there are more:

- HDX streams natively over DigiLinX / NaimNet network. Neither unit (Sooloos or Qsonix server) does otherwise, without a load of additional hardware. Multi-room capability is quite important when you have all your music residing in one location.

- User interface for HDX does not require proprietary touch panel in order to operate machine–fully Adobe Flash-based UI can be viewed on Web browser, for example, or one can add a flat-panel display via the VGA output on rear of unit. Multi-room control of Qsonix requires video-distribution hardware (VGA) to remote stations, HDX does not.

AFAIK all three units use AMG (All Media Guide) for disc metadata. Internal storage is a throwaway feature once you exceed 600 CDs, as you'll likely send any number exceeding these out for ripping onto NAS, really.

Watch this space as regards Music Giants.

Sound quality is where it's at for a two-channel source component, and in this respect, the HDX handily wins.
Posted on: 11 September 2008 by joc3721
Thanks. Make sense. Re. sound quality, would the HDX have an edge going through a DAC? I have evaluated a Qsonix and it was good (through a DAC) but not as good sounding as a dedicated transport.
Also, will the HDX recognize and play WMA files on a USB connected back-up drive and sort/organize and bring in meta data?
I know, for now, HDX can not rip to to an external drive.
Posted on: 12 September 2008 by David Dever
HDX analogue output stage is quite good on its own, let alone with upgrade supplies.

HDX digital output(s) are generated as separate streams in software, subject to performance of external DAC.

I've had no problems playing tagged WMA files from USB thumbdrive–but I'd be careful to point out that there is no schema for backup via USB (not a confidence-inspiring interface from an IT perspective). Use network-attached storage, as it is the BEST practice–USB is for children. Big Grin
Posted on: 12 September 2008 by DaveBk
I'm currently using a Slim Devices Transporter which was the first real attempt at at audiophile network player. There is no internal storage, but as high capacity fault tolerant network attached storage keeps coming down in price I do not see this as a problem. The analogue output is really good, although others have said it can be improved further with an external DAC such as that within the SuperNait.

The Transporter also supports streaming internet radio, and has a wide community of independent software developers adding new features. 96kHz 24bit content is also supported.

The only real disadvantage is the need for a PC to rip the CDs and manage the tags.

I can't comment on the relative audio performance against the HDX - I've never seen any unbiased comparisons. My current system is not revealing enough to really push the Transporter to the limit, but as as I have just bought a NAC252, Supercap, NAP300 and a pair of Guru QM10s this could be about to change Smile
Posted on: 12 September 2008 by pylod
dave...so how does the guru qm 10 sound in your set ?
Posted on: 12 September 2008 by joc3721
I'm still searching. I want a total solution, i.e. rip-store-access-enjoy. Simplicity and reliability. Don't want to go the route of mac/pc. Want somebody else to have already sweated the details. When you have 2000+ CD's, access and the user interface becomes pretty important. This is where the Sooloos and Qsonix systems shine. If the HDX is really sonically superior, I may bite. Would need to see the PC client interface to determine if it's acceptable. Would also need to be convinced it sounds better (through a DAC) than the competing solutions.
Note: I'm not a Naim-o-phile. Nothing against the equipment, just never owned any Naim gear.
Posted on: 12 September 2008 by Adam Meredith
quote:
Originally posted by joc3721:
If the HDX is really sonically superior, I may bite. Would need to see the PC client interface to determine if it's acceptable. Would also need to be convinced it sounds better (through a DAC) than the competing solutions.

A trip to a Naim retailer would be a useful next move then.
Posted on: 13 September 2008 by DaveBk
quote:
dave...so how does the guru qm 10 sound in your set ?

I've not got them home yet... They sounded fantastic at the demo using the same pre/power amp driven from a CDX2. I should have them in another week or 2.