Horror movies

Posted by: Robbie on 04 December 2003

Just bought Nosferatu,eine geschichte des grauens on DVD.Will arrive just before Christmass...
Earlier I bought Henry,portrait of a serial killer 1 & 2 on DVD. Watched it yesterday evening, leaving me in a troubled state of mind. This movie is very realistic and depressing, but I like it.
Any horror fans on this forum ?

Rob.
Posted on: 05 December 2003 by Bob Shedlock
Oh yeah! My fondest memories are the old 50's B&Ws with atomic bomb breed monsters.
Then there was War of the Worlds
The Thing
King Kong (Old in the 50s)
Invasion from Mars
The Angry Red Planet
The Day The Earth Stood Still

and on and on. Not a big fan of slash movies.
I like John Carpenter & Wes Craven. Recently saw THE RING. But then, I have the Marx Bros. on DVD too ----
Posted on: 11 December 2003 by Willito
Henry is a seriously disturbing film! Nosferatu is a classic with surprisingly overt sexuality. You can just feel Weimar decadence dripping from every frame! Check out Killing Zoe's witty use of footage from Nosferatu.

I am a big fan of Sam Raimi's evil dead trilogy. The first one is actually kind of unsettling, while the latter two are just pure comic horror. Apparently Army of Darkness' original title was Medieval Dead! Brilliant, but unfortunately a victim to dumbing down.

As for actually frightening films, this current wave of Japanese horror is fantastic. Enough has been said about the Ring trilogy, and so I won't belabour the point. I highly recommend Black Water: atmospheric, subtle, chilling!

My favourite horror film of all time remains The Changeling. I believe that it is / has been re-made.
Posted on: 11 December 2003 by Simon Perry
Me too.

If we are talking Japanese Horror though, then Audition is a must-see.

My favourite horror of all time is Zombie Flesh Eaters, I even have the soundtrack (excellent cheesy electonica).
Recently I have seen Cabin Fever, Freddy vs Jason and Texas Chainsaw Massacre (remake) at the cinema. This makes me sound like trailer trash!
Simon
Posted on: 11 December 2003 by Matt Gear
Watched one of Peter Jacksons early films "Braindead" the other night. Maybe not exactly horror (more of a comedy splatterfest) but fantastic none the less.

Also like: Nightmare on Elm Street (the original), Evil Dead, Blair Witch Project (stangely unsettling). Saw the remake of "Ring" and really enjoyed it. WIll probably get the original on DVD if i can find it at a good price.

Cheers

Matt
Posted on: 11 December 2003 by Robbie
Braindead is fantastic, completely over the top. Especially the lawnmower scene. Try Bad Taste, a very "tasteful" sci-fi horrormovie from Peter Jackson, made with the help of family and friends, on a very tight budget. And it shows !
Favourites of mine are:
The Dead trilogy from Romero, begins with Night of the living dead(1968).
Repulsion from Polanski (not excactly horror but ...).
Hellraiser, the first movie.The one Clive Barker himself produced.
The Thing from John Carpenter.
The Texas Chain saw Massacre from Tobe Hooper.
I also rate Coppola's Dracula quite high ,as a family movie that is. Even my wife likes it..
28 days later from Danny Boyle was not bad either.

Rob.
Posted on: 11 December 2003 by Matt Gear
Robbie

Seen "bad taste" too and love it. Was interesting to note some of the production similarities between braindead and the current LOTR films. Especially the baby running around. Clearly cutting to different sized set, with an adult dressed as the baby, then back to a model. Quite similar (IMHO) to the contrasting size of the humans and hobbits...

Forgot about The Thing, another fantastic film, as is 28 days later.

Saw "My little eye" a while ago too, and whilst a little derivative, was an interesting take on the "someone's watching you" theme. Really quite a disturbing ending.

Matt
Posted on: 12 December 2003 by Top Cat
My wife and I attend an annual horror film festival in Edinburgh called "Dead by Dawn" - basically it's 36-48 hours of more-or-less continual horror films. Anyway, if anyone can make this festival, if you like your horror it is absolutely fantastic - next year will be my fourth year and my wife's fifth consecutive year - and it's well worth the thirty-or-so quid that the festival costs.

The all-nighter is especially good fun, though I usually have difficulty making it past about 3am as my eyelids start to get very heavy...

Of the films that we've seen there, I'd recommend a few:

"May" - currently selling in Virgin on DVD for about a tenner - great film about a rather unusual girl and her somewhat unconventional adventures in life and love. Kinda like Frankenstein meets Carrie, but with a real beautiful feel to it.

"Dog Soldiers" - we saw a pre-premiere cut in March or April 2002, and it was a stonker - just got it again on DVD and it's well worth seeing if you haven't already. Kinda 'The wolfman meets Cujo with a twist of Bravo Two Zero and the Alamo'. Fantastic!

"Bubba Hotep" - Website - to quote from the blurb:
We find the King (Bruce Campbell) as an elderly resident in an East Texas rest home, who switched identities with an Elvis impersonator years before his “death”, then missed his chance to switch back. Elvis teams up with Jack (Ossie Davis), a fellow nursing home resident who thinks that he is actually President John F. Kennedy, and the two valiant old codgers sally forth to battle an evil Egyptian entity who has chosen their long-term care facility as his happy hunting grounds…

Have a peek at the Dead By Dawn website if you're interested in seeing some cracking, less mainstream contemporary horror in excellent company Wink

John

TC '..'
"Sun went down in honey. Moon came up in wine. Stars were spinnin' dizzy, Lord, the band kept us so busy we forgot about the time."