555PS and the CDS3 + HDX

Posted by: Consciousmess on 13 May 2008

To those much more in the know than myself...

As the 555PS has two outputs for the CD555, I was curious as to whether - if it were powering the CDS3 - it could also power the HDX??

Id be grateful for your help as my 'ambition' might then span to having a CDS3 as a digital source and have the HDX for the high definition to come.

Im due to get a CDS3 soon, you see and the next item after this will be the 555PS.

All the best

Jon
Posted on: 13 May 2008 by Adam Meredith
No - the other socket is only used with the 555 and does not duplicate the supplies available on the socket used for non-555 combinations.
Posted on: 13 May 2008 by Consciousmess
Thats a shame- thanks for that Adam.

Looks like its two 555PS....
Posted on: 13 May 2008 by hungryhalibut
quote:
Im due to get a CDS3 soon, you see and the next item after this will be the 555PS.

I suspect the money would be better spent on a new preamp though. Why not wait to hear the HDX and then go for it OR the CDS3, rather than aiming for both; one of which will likely be underused? Just a thought.

Nigel
Posted on: 13 May 2008 by Guido Fawkes
quote:
Originally posted by Consciousmess:

Looks like its two 555PS....

Or wait for the 1110PS Eek

You could have one on the CDS3 and physically swap it on the odd occasion you used the HDX.

What would you use the HDX for when you had a great CD player?
Posted on: 15 May 2008 by Colin Lorenson
A thought..

Hows about a switching unit, so you can use a single 555PS to power a CDS3/555, or an HDX, but not at the same time.

The switch could contain a simple power supply to keep juice going to the non-playing unit, just to keep it waremed up and ready to go.

Yhis would encourage 555PS owners like me, into buying a HDX
Posted on: 16 May 2008 by Steve S1
quote:
Yhis would encourage 555PS owners like me, into buying a HDX

What? Lose the opportunity to sell another one? Are you mad? Big Grin
Posted on: 16 May 2008 by daddycool
quote:
Originally posted by Steve S1:
What? Lose the opportunity to sell another one? Are you mad? Big Grin

Guess one is supposed/offered to modernize into the 21st century by migrating from CDX2/CDS3 to HDX whilst keeping one's 555PS.

Or NaimNet one's house alltogether. Smile
Posted on: 16 May 2008 by Guido Fawkes
quote:
Hows about a switching unit, so you can use a single 555PS to power a CDS3/555, or an HDX, but not at the same time.

What a great idea - Smile