NaimNet website - no longer a 'work in progress'

Posted by: joe90 on 31 January 2008

Anyone been across to Naimnet and had a look?
Just thought I'd point it out.

Make a nice change to talk about something interesting as opposed to broadside each other as to whether Naim 'have lost their way' with the you-know-what...
Posted on: 01 February 2008 by garyi
With the greatest of respect to naim who the hell does their websites?

Assuming I was new to all this, perhaps never considered how servers or even what the hell a home server is. What exactly is that naimnet website telling me?
Posted on: 01 February 2008 by connon price
It is telling us that the servers will be ready in March/April of 2007.

I hope we will see a sexy and informative site soon.

Moreover, I hope we see a sexy and informative server soon.
Posted on: 01 February 2008 by ightenhill
Its looking nice but I agree the website is a real mess

Posted on: 01 February 2008 by Jack Barron
quote:
Originally posted by garyi:

Assuming I was new to all this, perhaps never considered how servers or even what the hell a home server is. What exactly is that naimnet website telling me?

I agree. I had a look at the website the other day trying to figure out what NaimNet would do for me, what I would need to buy and how it would fit in with my other Naim Kit? It didn't tell me very much. I came away a bit confused and downloaded the NaimNet brochure.

What I now wanted to know is if I bought a Supernait could it be incorporated into a NaimNet system? The Supernait has got an RS 232 interface so I assume it can.

The Supernait wasn't, however, on the list of RS232 controlled devices in the Naimnet brochure, so maybe it doesn't work with the system? On the other hand could this be because the RS232 is an option on the Supernait?

Obviously a lot can be done via NaimNait other than just play music. However perhaps Naim are trying to cram too much information into their brochure and it is confusing because it isn't set out in bite-sized pieces?

What I would like to see is simple paragraphs along the lines of "If you want to install NaimNet in your flat/house the minimum amount of equipment you will need is XXX. This will allow you to play CDs and digital files. If you want to play DVDs, however, and listen to surround sound from within in a NaimNet system you will need YYY. If you would like to incorporate albums you need ZZZ."

The opening words of the NaimNet website make me laugh: "NaimNet is an easy to install and, more importantly, easy to use and entirely flexible whole-house distribution system regardless of where you live - in a modest apartment or the grandest of mansions."

It is just a shame that NaimNet's website and brochure aren't so easy to use. Heh-heh-heh.
Posted on: 01 February 2008 by garyi
I think opening lines of the naimnet site sum it up well, distribute what?
Posted on: 01 February 2008 by joe90
I admit I didn't look at the site from that angle, but yes, it could do with some clarification.

I myself have gathered what NaimNet is about, having had a good look at the Netstreams site also, but the beginner could come away confused...
Posted on: 01 February 2008 by BigH47
So you can go from the NAIMNET W/S to the main W/S but not from the main to the NAIMNET, unless I'm missing something.
Posted on: 02 February 2008 by connon price
quote:
Originally posted by munch:
Sorry i love my Naim system.
But i wont be going any where NaimNet for at least five years.
I had a n/vi.
Munch

An n-Vi had you, perhaps? Truly there have been some bumps but the efforts and attention to solve those problems have been very good in my view.
I really hope Naimnet is smoother, and, trusting Dave Dever as I do, I think it will be.

Plus, they had whole extra year to work on it.

"What are they building in there?"

"Well I tell you one thing, it's not a swing set for the children." TW
Posted on: 02 February 2008 by Steeve
quote:
Originally posted by garyi:

Agreed. I consider myself reasonably intelligent and by no means technophobic, (although admittedly not up on all the latest technologies), but a lot of it beats the crap out of me!

I think I'd just want a simple music server with some sort of touchscreen, not necessarily on the unit itself, that I can plug into my existing pre-amp. Does that mean I could get away with just a NS01 or do I need anything extra?

I guess when the time comes, the dealer should be able to answer all the questions though.

Steeve
Posted on: 02 February 2008 by Jonathan Smith
Just to keep you informed on the NaimNet site, it will be updated by the end of Feb and all the information about each product and how NaimNet works will be plain to see!
Posted on: 02 February 2008 by Jack Barron
I'm happy to read that.

Jack
Posted on: 02 February 2008 by garyi
Thanks Jonathan, but, erm, who are you?
Posted on: 04 February 2008 by Jedi
Jonathan Smith is Naim Net's sales manager.

By the way, has anyone heard any of the servers other than at a show?
Posted on: 04 February 2008 by Jedi
I only ask as I've had a go with one at my local retailer and it's a top toy.

Very close to a CDX2 performance wise.