Top Gear Theme Music

Posted by: Markus S on 10 November 2003

Does anybody know which piece of music the Top Gear theme is based on? I know I have heard it a number of times but I just can't put my finger on it.
Posted on: 10 November 2003 by Lo Fi Si
It used to be "Jessica" by the Allman Brothers off "Brothers and Sisters". Have not seen the new series so it may have changed.

Simon
Posted on: 10 November 2003 by Roy T
Markus,
Shazam! try this idea from Garyi.
Posted on: 10 November 2003 by Markus S
Thanks, Simon.

Roy, sounds interesting, but as I'm based in Germnay I doubt I can use this service.
Posted on: 10 November 2003 by Thomas K
Markus,

Is there any way of receiving British programmes here in Germany? I know you can get BBC World on cable, but I have no intention of getting cable and from what I remember BBC World is nothing like their regular programmes.

Thomas
Posted on: 10 November 2003 by Markus S
Thomas,

I get BBC World on cable. Not worth getting cable for, I agree.

I'm afraid I have no idea if BBC programmes are available via satellite.
Posted on: 10 November 2003 by Chris Metcalfe
I thought you meant John Peel's programme for a minute (by the way, anyone one know what that one is/was?)

The Clarkson Top Gear is still Jessica, albeit megamixed for the new series.

Every time I watch this prog I can picture Dicky Betts on the stage at Knebworth in 1974 blasting out that riff in glorious denim...
Posted on: 10 November 2003 by Lo Fi Si
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Metcalfe:
I thought you meant John Peel's programme for a minute (by the way, anyone one know what that one is/was?)

Peely's Saturday morning thing on R4 is a Dick Dale riff might be "King of the surf guitar".

Simon
Markus, thanks. I knew I shouldn't have raised my hopes -- I've never heard of any feasible option for watching British TV over here.

It's such a shame that ARD and ZDF gave up showing films and series in the original version. I can't bear watching dubbed films ("Johnassan, es war dein Job, auf Kärrie aufzupassen!" -- "Ja, Mann, komm vorbei. Wir haben eine gute Zeit." -- "Auf Wiedersehen, Mammi!").

As a result, I've become a regular at the DVD rental place. I've not had to show my card for years and the clerks already know what I will like and what not. I'm such a sad bastard.

Thomas
Sean,

Many thanks for the offer. Unfortunately (in this respect), I live near the Weißwurschtäquator, so if Berlin is just of reach I'm bound to be way out of reach.

Thomas
Posted on: 11 November 2003 by bob atherton
We named our daughter after the track only to find Top Gear using it after a couple of months of her berth. BTW anbody out there see the Allman's at Knebworth in '74? It was a fantastic day!

Bob
Posted on: 11 November 2003 by Chris Metcalfe
Bob,

You obviously didn't read my contribution above!

No ideas on John Peel's Top Gear theme?
Posted on: 11 November 2003 by Markus S
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Thomas K:
("Johnassan, es war dein Job, auf Kärrie aufzupassen!" -- "Ja, Mann, komm vorbei. Wir haben eine gute Zeit." -- "Auf Wiedersehen, Mammi!"). /QUOTE]

So true. So sad. Do you have a stereo TV? Sometimes you get the original language version on the second channel.
Posted on: 11 November 2003 by bob atherton
Chris,

OOOOps... missed that one! What a day Doobies, Van The Man, Alex Harvey? Did you stay till the very end?

Bob
Posted on: 11 November 2003 by Thomas K
Sometimes you get the original language version on the second channel.

Markus, that's what I was referring to -- they still do it occasionally, but it used to be much more common in the 80s.

Thomas
Posted on: 12 November 2003 by Chris Metcalfe
Bob,

I stayed till the end, then spent about 2 hours getting out of the car park... actually don't remember too much about the later aspects as there was a vogue that year for certain stimulants which unfortunately I was persuaded to indulge in!! Long time ago...
Posted on: 12 November 2003 by bob atherton
Chris,

I don’t remember it too well either…. We got serious munchies and I queued for seemingly hours to buy some food, all they had was Wagon Wheels…. Perfect…!

Bob
Posted on: 13 November 2003 by Chris Metcalfe
I don't remember the Doobies being on but I do remember the Mahavishnu Orchestra (who were sublime).

Strongest memory is of Gregg Allman singing 'Come and Go Blues' for some reason. Great gig. I had queued for 12 hours outside the Rainbow in January 1974 for their first UK gig - which they then cancelled!
Posted on: 13 November 2003 by bob atherton
You don't remember The Doobies....! They were on before the Allmans. I was too out of it to remember Mahavishnu Orchestra... only joking, they were great!