Bel Canto Evo6 or Meridian 558

Posted by: Cjones on 03 March 2005

Due to design limitations, I need an all in one amp box. So, I need something that has at least 5 channels. I have narrowed it down. It's between a Bel canto evo 6, 6 channel amp with 120w and the Meridian 558, with 5 channels at 200w each . Anyone with any experiance with either, I would appreciate your help. Also, any help in regards to interaction with naim would also be good.

thanks

cj

processor is a Naim av2 powering a selection of joseph audio speakers.

thanks
Posted on: 04 March 2005 by Neill Ferguson
Cjones

I use the Naim AV2 and a Bryston 5 channel power amp. Cost is around £3.5k. I have a space problem myself and found this to be the perfect answer. I tried the Tag, Primare, Krell Showcase 5 and the Theta. The Bryston out performed them all by a along way and although not the cheapest was the best value for money. It also comes with a 20 year warranty and works very well with the AV2 it comes in black and silver. It has five leds on the front panel that are green so it fits well with the AV2. I had a listen to the new Merdian g seris five channel amp comes in at £2.5k but I really can't say I was to impressed yet have liked the new g seris home cinema kit.

Neill

Ps The Bryston is the 9SST I really urge you to give it a try
Posted on: 06 March 2005 by kuma
cj,

How difficult to drive your Josephs?

I use the eVo6 ( bridged ) with the ATC SCM10 ( 80db/8 ohms ) and Vienna Acoustics speakers for the rear. The eVo is an excellent ampilfier but they don't do well with a tough load.

I never cared for the Meridian amplifiers altho, I think they suffice for the HT duty but never quite make it for straight 2 channel playback. But it can have more horse power with demanding load.

Sorry, no clue how they interface with the AV2 but I know in the case for eVo, the balanced inputs sound better than RCAs.
Posted on: 09 March 2005 by Matt F
Beautifully built and great sounding though the Bryston is, I would bet on the eVo6 outperforming it on the sound front. On top of this you have an extra channel to play with which you could either bridge to give the centre channel more power or perhaps use for a single ‘surround back’ channel if you ever go EX/ES etc.

The comment about difficult loads is relevant but the eVo6 is still a powerful beast and will only struggle when presented with really difficult to drive loudspeakers.

Matt.
Posted on: 09 March 2005 by Cjones
Thanks for the feed back guys. As for ability to drive, Joseph speakers are very easy to drive. I have looked at the Bryston and am aware of their quality. They are on the short list as well. Too many decisons, trying to narrow, not add!!!