DVD5 Sound Quality with CD's

Posted by: Le Chef on 09 March 2005

I have just about enough money to buy a CDX2 and a cheap DVD player. Or...I could buy a DVD5 and get both CD and DVD in one box.

So how good is the sound of the DVD5 compared to say the CD5X and the CDX2?

Whic option would you go for? Or is there another option not thought of as yet?

MTIA
Posted on: 09 March 2005 by Steve2701
How much do you want a DVD player that is one of the best you can get is another thing you should ask yourself!!
As for the cd replay, you need to hear it for yourself, but it is very good. Certainly up to the 5x standard that you mention, though I doubt to the standard of the cdx2.
Its picture quality has to be seen on a well set up display to be beleived.
Posted on: 11 March 2005 by Mr Underhill
I'm working on this at the moment!

Interestingly my older daughter consistently picked the DVD5 over my current CD player; my wife the CD player.

The CDP is not a Naim, but is well considered.

I'm currently running the DVD5 in properly.

More anon....

M
Posted on: 12 March 2005 by Jedi
I would Say that the CD replay of the DVD5 Is somewhere between the CD5i and the CD5X in terms of performance.
You need to ascertain wether the DVD performance or the CD performance is your main priority. The DVD5 is truly an exceptional DVD Player, yet a good CD player, if CD performance is more important to you, by the CDX2 and get an Arcam DVD Player!
Posted on: 12 March 2005 by Le Chef
In truth CD performance is much more important than DVD. I listened to a CD5X against a CDX2 and I really would like the CDX2. (But then again who wouldn't?)

That leaves me with much less to spend on a DVD player (less than $1000). I also want a DVD player that's all region. I live in the States, but I'm a Brit, so getting DVD's of the 6 Nations Rugby and that kind of thing is something I would like to be able to do.

My DVD setup would be straight stereo for a while, going through a pair of SBL's.

What Arcam DVD player or other recommendation is going to give me good enough video performance with a 42" plasma screen and reasonable sound with SBL's, without costing a fortune?

As you can tell I'm just getting my feet wet on this stuff so any help is a real help.

MTIA
Posted on: 12 March 2005 by slim
If you cannot go for a dvd5 which is the most movie like machine I have seen get a cheap pioneer or denon for about $300 they are pretty good,if you go up to Arcam price you may as well get a dvd5.
Posted on: 12 March 2005 by Mr Underhill
Le Chef,

This is a few thoughts I have had...and NOT a final opinion on the DVD5.

A few years ago I wanted to buy a good quality DVD player that could also play my very limited number of CDs. I finally bought the ARCAM DV88.

In due course I had it upgraded for Progressive Output via the Silicon Graphics card - as used in the DV27. The picture quality was excellent. I never found the CD replay to be that good, it was OK for non-vocal pieces. Give it a choral work and it was painful. For rock it was .....well, boring.

I then bought my current CDP, as a result of which I now have a few hundred CDs. This is a machine that has been favourably compared to the CDX.

As the 'new' high def formats were being discussed I bought a 2nd hand 757ai. I posted a review here and on another forum. Basically on my system I prefered DVD-A to SACD.

With SACD in 95% of cases I enjoyed the CD layer more than the SACD - when playing the CD layer on my CDP.

Having laid some background why have I bought the DVD5?

Potentially it allows me to reduce three boxes to one.

The picture quality is excellent - especially when viewing poor quality DVDs. Any reasonable player should be able to make a well produced DVD look good. The DVD5 can take something like 'High Society', which on the ARCAM had issues with things such as the wallpaper and always displayed artifacts, and give a solid image.

The sound quality on a DD or DTS soundtrack is a definite step up.

DAD-A?

Still playing it in, but concentrating on CD. Nothing nasty though.

CD?

Well it beats the ARCAM into a cocked hat. I have listened to it for many hours and it is never boring. That said I can understand why my wife generally prefers the other CDP.

She describes the NAIM as 'tinny' in it's sound.

The NAIM is dynamic. You can listen into the music and easily hear the musical elements......but, with my CDP the music works more holistically, it hangs together. The mid-range is to die for. The NAIM lets you hear what is happening at both frequency extremes far more. Maybe this is why my eldest daughter consistently picks the NAIM.

An example is the soundtrack from the Coen Brothers film 'O Brother Where Art Thou?'. The first track on the CD is of a chain gang. It starts with a group of six or so picks hitting the ground....it made me jump!

The tracks that Juliette prefers on the NAIM tend to be non-vocal with strong dynamics. I know the tracks I can play that she will prefer on the NAIM.....and I understand why.

I am using the DVD5 a LOT. I am hoping that as I play it in the quality J. describes as tinny will settle down. After all, it would be great to get rid of the CDP as well.....but I'm not convinced yet. But there is certain music I will listen to on the DVD5 in preference.

Le Chef, from your point of view I would have thought that you must borrow these boxes and review them at home.

The DVD5 I borrowed was very new and so I bought it on DVD replay quality, and a hope about CD. For you you'll need to borrow one that has been properly run in.

Do let me us all know how you get on!

M
Posted on: 13 March 2005 by Steve2701
Very interesting comments there Mr Underhill.
In my case I purchased the DVD5 purely for dvd playback, as I doubted it would rival the CDI in the music dept.
To be honest, I wouldn't want to give up the CDI at all, it most definitely plays cd's more musically, but having said that, I can see exactly where you are coming from with your comments.
Playing back music DVDs via dts / digital coax into the AV2 is stunningly good, but then you also get the picture to almost 'enhance' the sound & the very real sense of 'being there'
Out of interest can I ask what you use to get the cd to the pre? A dedicated cable from the outputs, or via an AV2?
You have my support also in the strongest terms suggesting that a good home dem over a few days is required by the Chef if he is going to fully realise what a '5 can do.
Posted on: 13 March 2005 by Mr Underhill
Hi Steve,

I use:

1. Dedicated phonos from the DVD5 to my pre for CD.

2. A coax for DVD DD/DTS to the AV2. I'm going to borrow a DC1 next week.

3. Naim red cables for the surround sound DVD-A into the AV2.

Pre = heavily modded 42.5 with 3 rail psu.

Amplification is 250s for front and rear. 140 for centre.

Speakers are ART Skibo front and centre.

Linn Kan Mk 1 for rear.

M
Posted on: 13 March 2005 by Steve2701
Let us know how you get on with the naim digital interconnect!
It would be interesting to hear your comments on it v the one used currently.
I do wonder how many of the '5s will be sold on the strength of their music replay.
Posted on: 15 March 2005 by karyboue
My dealer received a new DVD5 so I listenned to it again today. And I still find it very wide, detailled but light. I hope it will better with time because I have ordered one Big Grin (well ... almost ... because I forgot to check if the BNCs can ouput a 60hz RGBHV signal with PAL discs, I have to borrow it tomorrow to test it on my TV).
What I can say is that RGBHV (with a very poor cable) is far far better than progressive YUV. We now know why Naim has launched an RGBHV cable.
Posted on: 16 March 2005 by Frank Abela
We've had our DVD5 for ages and we feel it's still running in! It's a slow slog.

Le Chef, if music is that much more important to you, I would go with the CDX2. It's a fantastic machine which makes music over and above everything else. The format has been fixed for some time and we are finally getting some really quite musical results from machines designed specifically for the job of CD replay. In order to 'fill in' the DVD requirement, you have several oiptions. We're not looking for music replay here, just excellent pictures and good audio. The Denon DVD2910 is £600 here ($1000 or so), it has DVI output for your plasma (assuming you have DVI) giving excellent pictures for the money and the sound isn't bad either so it will fare well in a 2-channel scenario as you wish to use it.

Of course, if you'd said that DVD replay was as important to you then I'd be recommending the DVD5 highly, but I don't thin this makes sense with your priorities.
Posted on: 16 March 2005 by BLT
I just demmed the Arcam DV79 vs the Denon DVD3910 last weekend, to my (and my Wife's) ears and eyes the Denon was better. The image was unquestionably better, but surprisingly we both preferred the sound of the Denon, even on CD. The Arcam somehow sounded constipated and although it was giving more detail, the overall sound was less satisfying. Needless to say we have ordered the Denon along with the AVR3805 receiver.
It would have been nice to consider an all Naim AV setup, but I'm just not prepared to spend that much at the moment.
Posted on: 16 March 2005 by Peter Gear
BLT

Are you intending to use the pre outs of the 3805 through a naim system to the two front speakers?

The reason I ask is that I'm also looking at cheaper AV alternatives to the naim DVD5/AV2/175 to go with my 52/250/SBL's.

Thanks
Peter
Peter

Using the 3805's preouts is an effective way of getting good surround sound for a reasonable price. You may need to exercise some care with earthing in order to avoid hum, but otherwise, it'll work well.

Just ensure you match the speakers appropriately for best results i.e. N-Sats at the back and N-CENT or better at the front. And of course, there's the *amazing* N-Sub (what a fantastic sub-bass unit)!
Frank

Thanks for that. I am intending to use the n-sats/cent and sub having heard them at a demo before chritmas.
Do you have any other DVD/receiver combinations you could recommend I audition?

Peter
Peter, no - I'm afraid not. I am about to go Naimless. I was using a DSP E-800 with my 32-5/Hi-Cap/250 and it worked really well, but I am suffering from too much clutter in my living room (seems to have something to do with starting a family in 2003). I have also found myself listening to less and less music in the house and watching films a lot more(may have something to do with the sprog too). Combining those two facts led to a decision to flog off the hi-fi and just use a DVD/Receiver for music and AV duties. Sad, I know, but I would really need a seperate room for music and if I spend the money on a bigger house I won't be able to afford to put any decent kit in the music room.
Peter

In my view the Arcam kit is a good match. I am surprised at BLT's results since I would have thought a DV79 would beat a 3910 soundly. Therefore my first recommendation would be the Arcam DV79 and AVR300 combination.
Frank

The arcam combo is certainly on my list. One thing I have only just noticed is the size (depth) of the AVR300 and the denon 3805. It doesn't look as though they will fit on a fraim!

Peter
quote:
I am surprised at BLT's results since I would have thought a DV79 would beat a 3910 soundly. Therefore my first recommendation would be the Arcam DV79 and AVR300 combination.

That is what I thought too, until I heard them...
Posted on: 16 March 2005 by HiDefBob
By the way, when my Home Theatre Dealer first set up the Naim DVD5 in their store, they did it in a room that had been running the Denon 3910. They told me that they were amazed at the improvement in picture quality with the Naim.
Posted on: 19 March 2005 by Mr Underhill
Steve,

Borrowed a DC1 from my local dealer - burning it in at the moment.

M
Posted on: 19 March 2005 by long-time-dead
...... where's Adam when you need him ?

Can we get the definitive statement from Naim ? They surely must know EXACTLY where it fits sonically............
Posted on: 20 March 2005 by Steve2701
Morning Mr Underhill..

Looking forward to hearing your comments... Wont say anything much at the moment on it, but will be facinating to see if your experience mirrors mine.

May I ask what sort of cable is it replacing?
Posted on: 20 March 2005 by Mr Underhill
Steve,

Chord CODAC Silver Plus.

M
Posted on: 21 March 2005 by karyboue
Despite my problem of Hi-Def I listen to music.

For sure, the DVD5 (using Naim interconnect) is better than the AV2 internal decoders (using Chord Caoxial Digital Signature). The AV2 is not bad but it tends to send you bits in your ears and the DVD5 swings, I think it is more FT that my ex-CD5 (Hard to finish that post listenning to Jimi Hendrix playing Johnny B Goode without feeling like dancing Big Grin ).

I think it is something like an upgraded CD5 with a much better definition and crazier, I really enjoy it. I have never listenned to a CD5x so I don't know.