Those Centrino Adverts

Posted by: garyi on 27 November 2003

On Tele I keep seing adverts for portable notebook computers with wirless centrino in them.

On one there is a guy I mount everest connecting with the world.

Apart from the fact the computer is unlikely to function at minus 20, how does this technology work? Does it require phone masts, or is it somehow connecting via a satalite or what?

What I am driving in at is can this geezer feasably use this technology to connect to the web at the top of everest?
Posted on: 27 November 2003 by nap-ster
As far as I'm aware it is a bit of false advertising. You would still need a satellite phone to be able to "speak to the world". The Centrino chip in the laptop would just enable you to go cable-free to the phone, assuming the phone had a suitable interface.

Don't believe the hype.............
Posted on: 27 November 2003 by Paul Ranson
For example http://business.cisco.com/prod/tree.taf%3Fasset_id=104266&MagID=104151&public_view=true&kbns=1.html

And the horse's mouth, with loads of nice photos, http://www.linkingeverest.com/

Paul
Posted on: 27 November 2003 by Stephen Bennett
Basically, there are 2 wireless systems in use with computers at the moment.

One is usually just called 'Wireless'. With this you can connect without cables to a 'basetation' or another wireless equipped computer. The basestation is usually connected to the Internet. In my house, I have a basestation connected to broadband. To connect to the net I just open my laptop anywhere in the house or garden. Some public spaces also have wireless 'hotspots' - Starbucks for example. The US has many more! These are just basetations set up in shops and airports and so on. The range is usually up to tens of metres.

The other connection is called Bluetooth. With this you can use Bluetooth equipped mobile phones as a sort of modems to connect to the net. Range is a few metres.

I guess in the advert they would have to use a satellite phone on Everest - are there any Bluetooth ones? I recently sent some pictures & mp3s of a band I was recording with from the rural studio via my laptop & bluetooth - they appeared on the website right away.

Cool

I love technology

Regards

Stephen
Posted on: 27 November 2003 by Mekon
I rarely use the bluetooth capability of my PDA, but I have a wireless network at home and work. I have a Belkin access point at work, and a Netgear DG824M AP/Router/ADSL modem/hub at home. The one at work is in a really good position, and has a range of a 100+metres, the one at home, probably half that. I have WEP (a form of encryption) on, which I believe reduces the range.

At work, it means I can use AIM to stay in touch whilst wandering about, and can surf the net in the cafe. At home it means I don't have wires everywhere, and my 3 laptops, pda, and desktop can all be online, and share files and print without any hassle. For less than £500 (including my PDA), it's made my life a lot less stressful.
Posted on: 27 November 2003 by nap-ster
Yes............but it isn't quite Everest is it!!!!!!!............hmmmmmmmm Smile
There is wireless internet available at Everest Base Camp and in the surrounding area. Check the links or ask Google!

Paul
Posted on: 27 November 2003 by garyi
Fair enough, but the adverts did imply all you need is the computer.

I got a blue tooth mac keyboard today, I love this technology!

Does anyone know if I could use my sony ericsson to surf the web using the broadband on my computer?

I don't need it too, but it would be funky!
Well, all you do need is a Wifi enabled computer. Which Centrino implies. I think.

I just have a widget in the side of my 4.5 year old Toshiba....

Paul