AV2, Esoteric Dv 50, Couple Naim Amps -- Set up help

Posted by: Cjones on 19 April 2005

Need a little hlep from anyone with a Esoteric Dv50. The multi player has dedicated two channels outputs (rca and XLR), seperate 5 channel outs for SACD and DVD-A. It also has a dedicated digital audio out and a mess of video bits, not important to this discussion.

The question is this, I thought I read that the the "direct" or pass-through mode on the Av2 only works for inputs 1&2. However, these are the same inputs reserved for the VIPS setup, reserved for multi channel audio (SACD or DVDA).

The dillema is that the two channel outs on the player are the best sounding parts, so running it into the 3rd analog input and not being able to use the direct mode would really bother me.

I have never been a huge fan of DVD-a, and own a few dual layer SACD's, so having the set up in not critical, but being as its there, I might as well set it up.

Am I right about the pass through? Anyone have an esoteric DV50 and want to share their experience?

Thanks

Chris J

Oh, I guess I should also share the rest of the system which is NAIM 200's for the fronts and the NAPV175 for the center and sides.
Posted on: 19 April 2005 by Jay
quote:
Originally posted by Cjones:
Am I right about the pass through?

The short answer is that you're wrong Winker

You can use direct on any of the analogue inputs (as far as I am aware). Well you can on my AV2 anyway!

Enjoy. Jay.
Posted on: 21 April 2005 by Cjones
Jay, thanks for the response.

Related, does anyone find that the 3rd analog input does not perform as well as 1 & 2. I only ask as #3 has the pre amp bypass option, and thought it might make a difference.

Thanks

Chris J
Posted on: 21 April 2005 by Jay
Hi Chris

quote:
Originally posted by Cjones:
Jay, thanks for the response.

No problem. It's great when people don't get upset when you tell them they're wrong Winker

quote:
Related, does anyone find that the 3rd analog input does not perform as well as 1 & 2. I only ask as #3 has the pre amp bypass option, and thought it might make a difference.

That's a new one on me. What's this pre amp bypass thingy?

Jay
Posted on: 22 April 2005 by Cjones
quote:
No problem. It's great when people don't get upset when you tell them they're wrong Winker

Ha! yes, there are some fragile ones on hereRazz

quote:
That's a new one on me. What's this pre amp bypass thingy?

From page 8 of the Naim AV2 manual

The input THREE socket also carries a stereo audio output signal. If the av2 is to be
integrated into a conventional stereo audio system this input/output socket should be
connected either to the system’s “tape monitor circuit” or in the case of a Naim system to
the appropriate preamplifier, power supply or power amplifier input socket.

More! Integration of the av2 with a conventional stereo audio system may
require a non-standard “reversed” connection cable. Your local Naim Audio
representative or dealer will be able to offer advice.

Thanks

CJ
Posted on: 22 April 2005 by David Dever
FWIW, Naim's own DVD5 uses the same DIN connection for the front two channels (which are 192 kHz/24-bit) in both two-channel and multi-channel modes.

If the front-channel DVD-A/SACD signals cannot be passed out through the main outs, you will need to make a hard and fast decision as to priorities.

The issue described here is not unique to your Esoteric player, but solved marvelously in Naim's own unit....
Posted on: 22 April 2005 by Cjones
quote:
Originally posted by David Dever:
FWIW, Naim's own DVD5 uses the same DIN connection for the front two channels (which are 192 kHz/24-bit) in both two-channel and multi-channel modes.

If the front-channel DVD-A/SACD signals cannot be passed out through the main outs, you will need to make a hard and fast decision as to priorities.

The issue described here is not unique to your Esoteric player, but solved marvelously in Naim's own unit....

My head is spinning! And I thought only the video side was a pain!

Mr Dever's, thanks for the heads up.

Yes, the Esoteric can do exactly the same thing, using the same front channel out for two channel and for multi channel. Fortunately, they have RCA and XLR's outs so, I can connect the 5 channel with rca VIPS cables and the dedicated two channel to another input on the av2 via the XLR to DIN. All of this with 192/24 plus a rather capable up sampler.

Would you also happen to know the answer to the previous question, is the #3 analog input the same quality as 1 & 2 as #3 "carries an stereo audio output signal".

Thanks

CJ
Posted on: 28 April 2005 by Cjones
Dave, I have tried a couple times today, trying to reach you in Chicago. The shop asked me to call to clarify my cable needs. I've got a mess of equipment begging for install, all I need are three simple (or so I thought), cables.

Thanks

Chris