iPOD - NOT SHURE

Posted by: The Strat (Fender) on 25 May 2008

Thanks to Adam for this section indeed. Nice to be able to debate modern technologies with people who still aspire to better quality music.

Have just re-ripped my music library in lossless I would like like to exploit it better. Incidentally I tried a couple of CDs in WAV as well but couldn't really tell any difference. I've currently got Senn CX 300s but as an experiment I tried my Senn 650s and wow that was good but as my daughter pointed out you can hardly sit on a train or plane with them stuck on my head or indeed for my listening during the lunchtime!

I'm tempted by the Shure 530s and I quite like the push to hear facility but even with lossless £300+ seems a lot of £s for MP3 so would I be as well of with say the 310s. Problem is you can't really demo like proper hi-fi so any experiences/advice would be welcome. My iPOD is the previous style 80gb.

Regards,

Fender (Strat)
Posted on: 25 May 2008 by 555
quote:
Nice to be able to debate modern technologies with people who still aspire to better quality music.

Aspire being the operative word;
don't hold your breath!

quote:
Problem is you can't really demo like proper hi-fi

Perhaps because it isn't proper hi-fi?! Big Grin
Posted on: 25 May 2008 by The Strat (Fender)
quote:
Originally posted by 555:
quote:
Nice to be able to debate modern technologies with people who still aspire to better quality music.

Aspire being the operative word;
don't hold your breath!

quote:
Problem is you can't really demo like proper hi-fi

Perhaps because it isn't proper hi-fi?! Big Grin

WinkerWell no but as we have said to one degree or other all mediums have their limitations.

Fender (Strat)
Posted on: 25 May 2008 by 555
True, but some more so than others! Winker
Posted on: 25 May 2008 by markah
Hi Fender,

I have the E500's which are, to the best of my knowledge, the previous version of the E530's. Apart from aesthetics I don't think there is any difference - the same 3 drivers and crossovers being used.
Before these I had a cheaper pair of Shure earphones (E2c or E3c I think) but can say the improvement now is fantastic. Whether you can justify the price only you can decide, but if you want the best possible sound from your ipod then these are the ones to go for, IMHO.
I spend half the year away from home so use the ipod a lot, so for me I wanted the best I could afford to get. I have not been disappointed. One other thing - I bought the PTH version but after a while stopped using it, just never really needed to. I think you'll find that buying without that facility brings the price down a bit. Shop around, though from memory there are not many dealers who stock these earphones.
A final point - I left the carry case containing a cable extension and also a set of sleeves on a plane once. When I got home I phoned Shure customer services to enquire where I could buy the spares, and they sent them out to me free of charge the very same day. You get what you pay for!

Mark
Posted on: 26 May 2008 by The Strat (Fender)
quote:
Originally posted by markah:
Hi Fender,

I have the E500's which are, to the best of my knowledge, the previous version of the E530's. Apart from aesthetics I don't think there is any difference - the same 3 drivers and crossovers being used.
Before these I had a cheaper pair of Shure earphones (E2c or E3c I think) but can say the improvement now is fantastic. Whether you can justify the price only you can decide, but if you want the best possible sound from your ipod then these are the ones to go for, IMHO.
I spend half the year away from home so use the ipod a lot, so for me I wanted the best I could afford to get. I have not been disappointed. One other thing - I bought the PTH version but after a while stopped using it, just never really needed to. I think you'll find that buying without that facility brings the price down a bit. Shop around, though from memory there are not many dealers who stock these earphones.
A final point - I left the carry case containing a cable extension and also a set of sleeves on a plane once. When I got home I phoned Shure customer services to enquire where I could buy the spares, and they sent them out to me free of charge the very same day. You get what you pay for!

Mark

Thanks Markah - I'm going to get standard 530s - I've found a couple of places giving a good price.

Fender (Strat)
Posted on: 26 May 2008 by markah
quote:
Originally posted by Fender:
Thanks Markah - I'm going to get standard 530s - I've found a couple of places giving a good price.

Fender (Strat)

No probs - I think you'll enjoy what they do! Smile Play around with the different sleeves as well, as a snug fit ensures the best bass response.

Mark
Posted on: 31 May 2008 by Exiled Highlander
Fender

I have the 530's and they are excellent. Don't overlook the Ultimate Ears Triple.fi 10 Pro's....maybe even better than the Shure 530's....

the noise isolation on the 530's is incredible when used on long flights (something I do most weeks...yeah, I know..not green) and they just kill the noise totally.

Cheers

Jim