New Hi-Lan cable

Posted by: james n on 23 December 2008

From the latest newsletter - looks to be a good upgrade for those using a NAS with the HDX. I know there has been talk on the Linn forums with regard to sound quality differences with different Ethernet cables so it looks like Naim is taking this seriously. A great addition to the Hi range of cables.

Hi-LAN interconnect

During the development of the HDX, a special project ran in parallel; to develop a new Ethernet cable which would exceed the performance of standard cable CAT 5 & 6 cable.

The brief was to investigate all parameters of a signal carrier: to improve the whole rather than just improving the cable as is the more normal development practice.

Given the opportunity to start with a ‘clean sheet’ the R&D team decided to develop a much improved plug as well as a new cable.

The Air-J45 (patent pending) is designed as a decoupling device to stop vibrations from one product being transmitted, via the cable, to another product and to stop airborne vibrations being picked up by the cable being transmitted to the products it is connected to.

The many different rear sections of the Air-J45 are moulded together to form a lossy flexible section. The cable is clamped compliantly to the end of this flexible section. Other detail elements of the Air-J45 include: a significantly reduced metal content to lower electromagnetic effects; a design to reduce eddy current effects and a cable clamping mechanism that doesn’t squash the cable and affect the impedance.

The cable also benefited from a complete rethink. It had to be low capacitance, low resistance and flexible. It had to work superbly in LAN connections but it also had to perform when used in other configurations.

The cable, exclusive to Naim, is manufactured from twisted pairs of 80 litz conductors surrounded by PTFE, Kapton and PTFE tape all then covered by a semi conductive shield to reduce static charges. This is then wrapped by two spiral wound copper shields and lapped PTFE tape. Two of these assemblies side by side are then wrapped in layers of PTFE tape and finally a rubber outer covering. This gives an Ethernet cable where the signal and RF grounds are held in a static position relative to each other negating any difference in field between them.

James.
Posted on: 23 December 2008 by garyi
Wow its not even april.

Sadly though its already been done:

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/072/1047072/mo...e-250-ethernet-cable
Posted on: 23 December 2008 by james n
That's the Denon cable - no one would take that seriously at that price. But Naim...
Posted on: 23 December 2008 by garyi
I know the feeling, its gone very quiet here but we have to be here to the bitter end.

Curse my lack of holiday allowence.
Posted on: 23 December 2008 by james n
Yeah it's wind down here too - 5:30 is a long time away yet Roll Eyes
Posted on: 23 December 2008 by JY
Good one. Couldnt wait till April could we?

If this is real I promise to sell all my black equipment Smile
Posted on: 24 December 2008 by tonym
James, I feel you have too much time on your hands! Big Grin
Posted on: 25 December 2008 by Cjones
Clean sheet, that is funny. Not exactly new technology. This is just a shielded cat -5 cable. I have them for the female plug side throughout my entire house. About $3 each... They also sell a male shielded version.

When they certified my cable, they got "near" cat-6 bandwidth from my cat-5E, and the installer claims its due to shields.
Posted on: 30 December 2008 by Frank Abela
Meridian have also developed a high quality cat-5 cable of their own apparently.