HDX playback quality

Posted by: Neil Bennett on 13 May 2008

Just read the blurb on the Naim website; at what level of Naim CDP hierarchy is the CD playback? I assume the hard drive replay can't be any better than this? With/without a 555PS to power it?

Neil
Posted on: 13 May 2008 by Neil Bennett
And what is the RRP?

Neil
Posted on: 14 May 2008 by Rockingdoc
"Close to the CDX2"
Posted on: 14 May 2008 by Huwge
I think it is too early to comment as the unit that I heard was still "in development." The second listen that I had, gave the impression that the bare HDX had a slightly digital tone - harsh and crisp, but very correct. The addition of the XPS2 removed this and, to my mind, placed the replay somewhere between a CDx2 and a CDS3. It is important to remember that these units have a significantly different character - some like the immediacy and propulsion of the CDX2, others the fluidity and sweetness of the CDS3.

It is probably better to say that a HDX + PS has the capacity to be a big hitter, and so it should given the price of the unit plus a PS. It will be interesting to see whether the production units can tame the slight digital edge that I perceived on the bare unit. Bear in mind that this was in a show room and under very difficult conditions for even the very best equipment.

I think the nature of the beast is that it will polarise opinions, for and against. Everyone will have to listen for themselves and determine what works best for them and their budget. There is no right or wrong, just individual taste.

Huw
Posted on: 14 May 2008 by Frank Abela
Just to clarify something...

Neil, the hard drive replay can be better than CD playback since the HDX is capable of replaying higher resolution 24/96 formats. These aren't common yet, but they are becoming more prevalent in the download market. Look at itrax.com or Linn's offerings, and Naim have said they intend to make high resolution downloads of their catalogue available too.

As for the quality of the unit, I haven't heard it yet so can't comment, but the stories I'm hearing are surprisingly good indeed.