Thomas Dolby and the B-52's

Posted by: Andrew L. Weekes on 29 March 2001

No, not some strange marriage of the two on one album, but just an enquiry as to what is worth investigating by the above mentioned.

As I was in the mood for some upbeat and humorous sounds last night I listened to Thomas Dolby - 'Aliens ate my Buick' and B-52's 'Good Stuff', both fantastic albums.

I've also got 'The Flat Earth' by Dolby and 'Cosmic Thing' and 'Dance this mess around' a best of compilation by the B-52's.

Are all the albums I can find worth buying, or are there some noteables in the back catalogue?

Thanks,

Andy.

Andrew L. Weekes
alweekes@audiophile.com

Posted on: 29 March 2001 by Pete, Mad Bad and Dangerous to Know
Hi,

My fave B52s track is Planet Claire from the first album it realy gives your system a work out loads of things going on, I got an early copy secondhand on vinyl cracking sound quality, so thats one to get for a start.

pete

Posted on: 29 March 2001 by Tony L
quote:
Are all the albums I can find worth buying, or are there some noteables in the back catalogue?

I would consider the first self titled B-52s album from 1979 to be an essential purchase. This is a hell of an album, and has a fabulous raw sound to it. It has the classic 'Rock lobster' and 'Dance this mess around' which you probably have already, but the rest is just as good, and it flows well as an album. The stunningly well titled 'There is a moon in the sky (called the moon)' is on it too. Sounds great off vinyl as judging from my copy which I purchased pretty much when it came out, it is a really good pressing.

I also have 'Whammy' and 'Mesopotamia', both of which are good, but ultimately lack the impact and edge of the first album.

I've even got a couple of Thomas Dolby albums, 'The golden age of wireless', and 'Aliens ate my Buick', though I personally don't feel they have aged that well. Will have to dig them out for an airing.

Tony.

Posted on: 29 March 2001 by Hammerhead
Why?

The rest kick ass though.

Thomas Dolby: So which album is the 'Blinded me with Science' on then? Magnus Pike Rocks!

Steve smile

Posted on: 29 March 2001 by Ron The Mon
Andrew,
Both the B-52s and Dolby have many vinyl 12
inch releases, as remixes and unedited singles.
My favorite is the Hyper-active! "Heavy
Breather Subversion". It kicks ass!! It is
backed with a "Dolby's Cube" remix. Any
"Dolby's Cube" records are dance or dub remixes of Thomas Dolby songs even though it doesn't
say so on the jackets. What I like most about
these records is that they all play at 33 1/3.

All my B-52s singles on the other hand are
45s(7 and 12 inch). Love Shack "Dance
remix" and "Instrumental" are really cool
versions worth seeking out. "planet claire",
"Rock Lobster", and "Private Idaho" all sound
better on the single versions than the LP, so
pick these up when you come across them.

BTW, "She Blinded Me With Science" is on the
record Blinded By Science.

Ron The Mon,
Fan of the 12-Incher

Posted on: 30 March 2001 by Steve Catterall
before he had hits, Thomas Dolby put out some really good singles under other names. My favourite being The Fallout Club - where he used Trevor Herion as a singer - Dream soldier and Wanderlust. Both have a heavy spagetti western vibe over a typical Dolby type synth track
Posted on: 30 March 2001 by Hammerhead
DOH! roll eyes

I'll find a copy.

Cheers,

Steve

Posted on: 30 March 2001 by Andrew L. Weekes
I'll look some of those up.

I've been listening to Prefab Sprout 'Life of Surprises' tonight, a best of compilation, and I've just noticed Thomas Dolby was producer for a large number of the tracks, which explains why they sound so good.

I'm not normally a fan of primarily synth driven music, but Dolby is an exception, as it's all done with huge skill and a good chunk of emotion, the thing that often seems lacking in this type of music.

Andy.

Andrew L. Weekes
alweekes@audiophile.com

Posted on: 30 March 2001 by Rico
quote:
Thomas Dolby: So which album is the 'Blinded me with Science' on then? Magnus Pike Rocks!

Steve

that would be "The golden age of wireless". "The Flat Earth" is worth exploring for more than just the obvious reasons.

B52's? If you can find "Party Mix", it's worth having... I have a vinyl copy, sound is particularly punchy, and the remixes of "Party gone out of bounds" and "Private Idaho" are great - not in the same vein as typical 80's droning boring remixes eg the "dance mix" of Gloria by U2...

Red Planet didn't seem to have the same impact as B52's. I still regret turning down a ticket to see them in 1980.

Mesopotamia and Whammy are pretty good but lack the freshness and edge of the first album; Cosmic Thing follows this straying from the roots, only wins by virtue of being a great pop record.

Rico - all your base are belong to us.

Posted on: 30 March 2001 by John G.
1. Party Out of Bounds
2. Dirty Back Road
3. Runnin' Around
4. Give Me Back My Man
5. Private Idaho
6. Devil in My Car
7. Quiche Lorraine
8. Strobe Light
9. 53 Miles West of Venus

Their second release from 1980. This one and their first album are my favorites. 1-5 and 7 are the strongest cuts IMO on this one. I recall quite a few parties during college where these two albums playing.:-)

Caught them playing Rock Lobster at a local fest a year or so ago. Great fun!