AV Amp/Dolby/DTS decoder

Posted by: Two-Sheds on 04 August 2005

My current AV amp/decoder is a Denon 2802 and I'm thinking of getting a new ones, but sonically I'm happy enough with it. It's just it only has 1 digital coax input which is faulty (constant plugging/unplugging I think) and it has the wrong power supply. I bought it in UK several years ago and bought it with me when I moved to Canada and no dealer would convert it so I'm using a transformer with it which I'd like to get rid of.

For a while I was dreaming of an AV2 and a NAP175 (I currently use a NAP200 to power the fronts), but after looking up the costs this is going to be out for another few years.

Since in the longer run I'd like to upgrade to something nice I don't want to spend a lot now, but I don't want to go back from what I have now.

In my preffered price range (around $600 - $800CAD which is approx £300 to £400) there is the
Denon AVR1905
Denon AVR2105 (neither has 2 coax inputs which I want)
Yamaha HTR5860

The last Yamaha I saw (a few years ago) didn't have individual levels for the front speakers it only had 1 level for both which could be a problem for since one front speaker is in a corner and the other isn't.

any advice appreciated.
Posted on: 09 August 2005 by arf005
Two-Sheds,

not sure about the prices over Canada but have you considered Rotel kit....??
Sound per pound (or dollar) they beat Denon, in my opinion (but then I'm biased....) and for the bucks you were talking about there is bound to be something on the market....possibly second hand.

Rotel receivers are solid (just try picking one up) and I love the sound....
Have also just been lucky enough to upgrade - see the thread below....
http://forums.naim-audio.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/78019385/m/8582943007

Which brings me to point out the second hand market, as my old receiver is looking for a new home.....not that I'm trying the hard sell.....honest....

But surely there is something like this out there......

Good luck,
Ali
Posted on: 09 August 2005 by Frank Abela
Two-Sheds,

Be aware Denon has just replaced the 2105 with the 2106 for the same money. I think it has multiple digital inputs. This means that you could get a new 2106 or you should get a 2105 at a reduced price! AFAIK all modern decent receivers have individual front speaker level adjustment. From a home theatre point of view, the Denons are very good, though I haven't played with the 2106. Musically they're not my cup of tea and I'd choose an NAD over the Denon. The NAD in this price range is the T743 or possibly the T753 if you're lucky. The NADs are noisier than the Denons, having more prominent background hiss, but musically they're more fluid and engaging - and they're pretty good at HT too!
Posted on: 09 August 2005 by Two-Sheds
Thanks for the response, I had a quick look on ebay canada and didn't see any great deals at the moment, there was 1 or 2 rotel's on there, but the current bids were already above my intended spending.

I also didn't know that Denon had just released/replaced some of thier range so I'll have to look into that.

I was surprised by the Yamaha that I saw since at the time (3 to 4 years ago) it was thier top model (or close to) costing way over £1000 I think.

Frank - what do you mean by music - stereo (from cd's, vinyl), DVD-A, SACD, a concert on DVD/music in a film?? It's just that I don't own (or plan to) any DVD-A or SACD's and all music I listen to (cd's and vinyl) goes through a NAC202 and NAP200 so I'm not intending to use the AV amp for music, just for films. The front speakers in the HT set up are also my stereo system speakers so I currently have the pre outs for the fonts going into the NAC202's av input.

I wouldn't mind an AV2 + NAP 175, but price is an obstacle and I want new speakers and maybe a CD player for my stereo system first...
Posted on: 10 August 2005 by Frank Abela
TS

By music, I meant stereo. However, it's still pertinent in my view. You intend to integrate the main stereo system with the HT system so, the presentation of the surround amp needs to be closer to that of the main stereo system and this is true of the NAD.