Linear or Log volume control ?

Posted by: Roy Donaldson on 14 May 2005

Hi there,

So, if I'm playing my AV2 at a volume level of 60 into a 140 power amp, then 4Ohm speakers, what effective percentage of the amps power am I putting out into the speakers ?

I'm wondering how much there is left in them, dependant on the AV2 volume control level ?

The 140s are running luke warm to the touch, so I guess I'm not running them too hard ?

Roy.
Posted on: 14 May 2005 by David Dever
With the volume on the AV2 set to about 87, you get an equivalent output through DIN 3 (the tape output feed, if you will) to a two-channel Naim preamp as you would from a two-channel analogue source itself.

I'm not sure what the difference in output level is between the "INPUT 3" DIN output to Naim preamp and the DIN-4 output for the front speakers, but this may be a place to start.

The equivalent volume control setting on an older-style Naim preamp at unity gain is just about twelve o'clock, so, think of 87 on the AV2 as its equivalent.
Posted on: 23 May 2005 by Johns Naim
This reminds me of a few thoughts I've had in the past re unity gain and how a vol pot in the Naim preamps works (and maybe vol pots generally)

Is unity gain a kind of 'mid point' i.e. does the vol control attenuate the signal before unity gain, and boost it after the 'unity gain' mid position?

Further, when coupling an AV2, or other processor with one of the older Naim preamps which lacks the unity gain switch, why does one 'need' to position the volume control to around the 12 o'clock position, and not say 10 o'clock, or 2 o'clock for instance?

Most curious to know if anyone has an accurate answer.

Best regards

John... Cool
Posted on: 24 May 2005 by Manu
The 12 o'clock position is just an easy one to remember and not too far from unity gain (but it is not).
Posted on: 24 May 2005 by Steve2701
quote:
The equivalent volume control setting on an older-style Naim preamp at unity gain is just about twelve o'clock, so, think of 87 on the AV2 as its equivalent

Interesting..
I was led to beleive it realy was not that important what you set the volume control to on 'older' pre's (32.5!) so long as it was 'easily' repeatable?

Then, when the correct 'balance' had been set (with the use of a db meter for accuracy) in the AV2 settings, the brains in the AV2 then worked out everything else out to set the correct output to each channel?