9624 -vs- Vinyl

Posted by: Mr Underhill on 27 July 2008

....and for those of you who cannot wait the answer is VINYL, but ...

I can drag out any number of albums that sound bad, either due the way they have been treated, not by me, or cut, or mastered. I am not a VINYL junkie, that is I DON'T automatically believe vinyl is best.

When CD first arrived I found the main difference between it and my turntable was that I could do other things when a CD was on, with an album I found myself just listening to the music.

After many attempts I found a CD player that I really did like about seven years ago.

When Naim bought out their DVD5. In some areas I prefered the DVD5 to my CDP as a CD spinner. I auditioned a Benchmark DAC1 - which worked brilliantly with the DVD5, NOT something that I found all disc spinners will do; the DAC1 is a sensitive SOB, responding to the transport, the digital cable and mains cables.

I then found that the spdif output from the DVD5 was lobotomised, which did eat away at me so I bought a second hand Meridian 596 DVD player for a very resonable price - which DOES output 9624. Now I needed to get the HiDef soundtracks off my DVDAs and burn them to DVD-V. Having achieved this I could now do a comparison between the HiDef files and my albums.

The soundtracks were, where neccessary, re-sampled to 9624 and then converted to DVD using Lplex to produce an ISO file, and Brasero to burn it.

This will not be a like for like comparison, as the different formats will have been mastered in different ways. When SACD first arrived and Dark Side of the Moon was made available I was surprised at the way in which reviewers would hail the clarity of the spoken sections as evidence of the resolving power of the medium, rather than, perhaps, the way the new format had been mastered.

The Gear
LP: Linn LP12 + Naim Geddon > Naim ARO > Dynavector DV20
9624: Meridian 596 > Benchmark DAC1

Spine: EAR 864 > EAR 534 > Art Skibo

Transport -vs- PC
Meridian use a DVD transport as a DVD Transport, they do not try to turn it into a CD Transport. Data is read into buffered memory using their FIFO methodologies and then fed out via the spdif. In effect the file is being handled in memory - as it would be in a PC.

Listening
I use my daughters, aged 14 & 17, as my control. They have NO interest in HiFi. They listen to music reduced to MP3 via headphones. So I asked them a simple question - which do you prefer.

For this write up I decided to use Fleetwood Mac Rumours as the example, an album I have enjoyed for far too many years and know very well.

In order to try and be fair I played the tracks LP - DVD - DVD - LP. I did not touch the pre-amp, other than to vary the source; this will have been to the advantage of the DVD as the volume was slightly higher. Although my girls could not see which was being played the LP was obvious.

The Result
Q: Which did you prefer?
A: First/Second (whichever was the LP).
Q: Why
A: Sounds better.

Well, thankyou for that edification! I agreed. What I did notice was that the vocals where more forward with the LP - but also the music just bounced along, like to be more technical but I'd just end up sounding like a wine critic!

What I liked about the HiDef tracks is the dynamic range, lack of noise, impact and detail. As I said to a friend of mine - all the 'HiFi' things, which is damning with faint praise. There is no doubt in my mind that these tracks beat CD into pulp and throw it out the nearest exit.

Download -vs- Rip
Got to say that not all 9624 files are born equal. The DVDA sourced tracks seem to be consistently hi quality. There are a number of files I have sourced from the internet that have not been to the same standard, they give a partial view on what can be achieved; whether this is due to the source material or their handling of it is a matter of conjecture.

Some Reflections
Although vinyl is prefered by the three of us I am very impressed by the HiRes material.

In due course I will be interested to hear what they sound like when taking the transport completely out of the equation - I suspect not that much due to the way Meridian handle the files.

I have been listening to these HiRes discs pretty solidly for the past fortnight - and will always get HiRes when it is available. In fact I am buying DVDAs like they are going out of fashion, which, of course, they are!
Posted on: 29 July 2008 by Allan Probin
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Underhill:
In fact I am buying DVDAs like they are going out of fashion, which, of course, they are!
Same here! In fact I bought three more DVD-A's just this last weekend. Sheryl Crow - Globe Sessions, Alan Parsons Project - Turn of a Friendly Card and Beach Boys - Pet Sounds.

I'm ripping the hi-res stereo tracks from DVD-A directly to WAV then losslessly compressing using Flac and playing back through an Akurate DS. I don't have a vinyl setup to compare it with but 96kHz/24bit (and 192kHz/24bit!) from DVD-A sounds incredibly good.

Allan
Posted on: 29 July 2008 by Mr Underhill
Hi Allan,

DO you notice the difference between 192/24 & 9624?

If you haven't done a comparison could I ask VERY nicely whether you'd downsample a file and report back?

Thx

M
Posted on: 30 July 2008 by Allan Probin
quote:
If you haven't done a comparison could I ask VERY nicely whether you'd downsample a file and report back?

Sure. I'm away from home atm and working this weekend but can do that the following weekend. What would you recommend for downsampling a 192kHz WAV using a windows PC?

Allan
Posted on: 30 July 2008 by PMR
Hi guys,

Lets be honest, whether you rip in 24bit/96khz or 16bit/44kHz it's extremely unlikely you will hear the difference. Possibly on complex recordings, but don't forget, the 16bit/44kHz is theoretical good enough for human hearing.

In respect of vinyl, if you rip vinyl to CD using a decent program on your MAC or PC at 16bit/44kHz, and then played through a decent DAC like the Benchmark DAC1 or Lavry DA10. Again, it’s unlikely you will tell the two apart.

It’s a hoax and the same applies to high-end CD players. Indeed, what you are really paying for is good technical specification and equalization. What is it worth? You pay ya money.

Peter
Posted on: 30 July 2008 by Mr Underhill
Hi Peter,

I can definitely hear a difference between the 9624 files on DVD-V and CD in the context of my system. Now some of this may be down to mastering, but the increase in dynamic range & detail that I hear - even with poorer 9624 files have satisfied me that it is a worthwhile investment.

Hasn't stopped me buying CDs.

M

Allan,

On windows I use this:

http://www.voxengo.com/product/r8brain/

M
Posted on: 30 July 2008 by Allan Probin
quote:
On windows I use this:

Thanks, I'll give it a try.

Allan
Posted on: 31 July 2008 by tonym
Wow, this is very interesting! I've always felt that DVD-As had some great recordings locked up in them.

Having had a fascinating day with Steve's Mac/Lavry/AE setup through my system yesterday (of which more later no doubt!) It would have been fascinating to rip a DVD-A onto Steve's Mac (or onto my computer then transfer the file) & see what it sounded like, OK downsampled to 24/96.

Fascinating. Everyone interested in ultimate high-quality sound reproduction needs to be taking this technology seriously!
Posted on: 01 August 2008 by Mr Underhill
Tony,

I've enjoyed following the mac post - and the comments comparing the mac/lavry to the 555.

Most DVDA have 9624 soundtracks, normally both as straight stereo as well as 5.1. A few have lower rates or 192/24.

I agree with you that this is a great time to be into high quality music reproduction.

M
Posted on: 09 August 2008 by Allan Probin
quote:
Allan,

On windows I use this:

M
I've not forgotten about this! I installed the above program earlier but it's having a problem reading the WAV files produced by my DVD-A ripper. When I try to open the WAV file it's saying it "has unsupported tag FFFEh and thus cannot be read". I didn't think WAVs had tags but examined it using Tag & Rename anyway and can't see anything obviously wrong. The sample rate converter can read other WAVs ok so it's something peculiar to the WAVs produced by the DVD-A ripper that I'm using - DVDA Explorer.

I'll investigate further, see if I can find an alternative sample rate converter or DVDA ripper.

Quite a few DVD-A's don't appear to have a discrete high resolution 2-channel soundtrack. E.g. the Sheryl Crow DVD-A mentioned above, Natalie Merchant - Tigerlily and a few other DVD-A's I have here. They appear to rely on the DVD-A player to mix the multi-channel tracks to stereo. So I'm still on the lookout for something that can take multi-channel 24/96 WAV's and convert them to 24/96 stereo or a DVD-A ripper that can perform the down-mixing before writing the WAV.

I notice that DVD-A's seem to be getting quite pricey now, probably due to them being out of print. I've got a copy of Kamakiriad on DVD-A that I had to pay about £25 for not long back. The Fleetwood Mac - Rumours DVD-A you mentioned is currently £36 on Amazon marketplace, John Coltrane - Blue Train £65, etc.
Posted on: 09 August 2008 by neil w
alan

ive a copy of fleetwood mac , if you want to borrow it . If u do and leave it till after next friday then all the 2.35 cinema stuff will be installed . You can then have a look at that aswell
Thanks Neil, I'll definitely take you up on the offer. I'm off on my hols in a weeks time so I'll come over after that. I'm intrigued by the 2.35:1 setup, it'll be intersting to see what lens you've gone for and what you've used for the video processing. I'll drop you an e-mail in a few weeks time.
Posted on: 09 August 2008 by Mr Underhill
Allan,

Different programs seem to write the headers in different ways - which then causes issues.

I have solved them in two different ways:

1. Use flac in Linux to compress the wav file. Then decompress it - seems sort out the header in 95% of cases; although it shouldn't make any difference!

2. Open the file in Audacity and then export it as exactly the same file type. Sorts out the other 5%.

Hope this helps.

M
Converting to flac and back to WAV has sorted it out! I've now got a 24bit/192kHz and a 24bit/96kHz version of Pixeleen from Steely Dan's Everything Must Go, both in WAV format.

They sound remarkably similar but much to my son's surprise, who switched between the two so I didn't know which one was playing, I managed to identify the 192kHz version. I confess though that I had to do a few 'sighted' comparison before hand until I picked up on the bass line (oddly enough) as being a reliable identifier. The 192kHz version sounded tighter and more solid and tuneful in the bass. I also felt the 192kHz version sounded just a tad cleaner and more transparent, the 96kHz version had just a touch of haze.

It's telling though that I had to do a few comparisons before I could reliably pick up on the differences, which are not huge but nontheless are discernable. I guess it's entirely possible that these differences could have been introduced by the sample rate conversion software itself.
Posted on: 10 August 2008 by tonym
OK chaps, how the dickens did you find the audio tracks and successfully rip them please?

I confess I've only "looked" at my DVD-A copy of "Automatic for the People", but there were umpteen files on there, none with extensions I recognised. A troll through Google didn't throw up anything (or rather, anything I could understand...) Confused
Posted on: 10 August 2008 by Allan Probin
Tony,

I'm using a program called DVD-A Explorer. I'll e-mail you a copy.

What will you be using to play back the rips?

Allan
Posted on: 10 August 2008 by Mr Underhill
Glad it worked.

I'm not able to play 192/24 files at the moment.

I'm looking at various options - but enjoying the 9624 files enough that I'm going to wait and see how the market develops.

M
I think I've solved my problem generating a 2 channel hi-resolution mix from a multi-channel 24bit/96kHz per channel source. I'm using a program called 'EAC3to', it has a conversion option to simply down-mix a multi-channel WAV to Stereo. It works but my only issue is that the resulting WAV appears to be about 9db-10db down compared to a normal CD rip or the equivalent 2ch track on the same DVD-A (where there is one). Other than that, turn it up and it sounds great.

I've just taken the first track off Sheryl Crow's 'The Globe Sessions' DVD-A, multi-channel 24bit/96kHz downmixed to stereo 24bit/96kHz and compared it with the regular 16bit/44.1kHz version and there is no comparison. The high-res version sounds larger, warmer (yet cleaner) and just more realistic and convincing, especially noticeable with the vocal. The 16bit version sounds simultaneously harsh and boomy in comparison.

This will definitely get me going until I can get to the bottom of why the downmix appears lower in volume. Maybe the multi-channel soundtracks are simply mixed that way anyway. I'd need to use a DVD-A player to confirm. I think I'll keep a copy of the 6-channel WAVs offline so I can quickly convert again if I find a better solution. They are quite large though at about half a gigabyte per track Eek

Allan
Didn't DVD-A Explorer downmix work for you?

Although it has then same effect of lowering the volume.

M
Martin, DVD-A Explorer doesn't seem to have an option to downmix a multichannel track to stereo unfortunately. At least not the version I'm using, which is "2008.03.21 (Alpha 12)". Do you have a version which does? That would be a lot easier than passing the WAV through another piece of software.

The version I have can take the Group 1 channels (Lf-Rf-Ls-Rs) and mix them with Group 2 (C-LFE) to produce a single 6 channel WAV but there doesn't appear to be an option to downmix that to stereo.

Allan
Allan,

2008.06.05 does.

M
Brilliant! Thanks Martin. Downloading it now.

I also noticed when searching for this version that the reduced volume issue seem's to be quite normal - and a good thing! It might also explain why, when I was comparing a downmixed version of a multi-channel track with the stereo version (both 24/96) I thought I actually preferred the downmixed version - but dismissed it as being too unlikely. Damn, you know what I'm going to have to do now!

Allan
Posted on: 11 August 2008 by Allan Probin
Quick update. Now using the latest version of DVD-A Explorer. Yes, this version can downmix multichannel tracks to stereo but only where the disk contains "SMART Content" (System Managed Audio Resource Technique). Basically, a table of values to inform the audio mixer inside the DVD-A player the relative levels of the channels. Unfortunately, this table is only used on a sub-set of those DVD-A's that only have multichannel soundtracks.

For DVD-A's that have a stereo soundtrack but you want to downmix the multichannel track to stereo (sometimes one sounds better than the other) or DVD-A's with multichannel only and no SMART table you still need to use something like eac3to for the downmixing.

The downmix feature in the latest version of DVD-A explorer didn't help with the Sheryl Crow DVD-A, for example, but for Natalie Merchant - Tigerlily and The Beatles - Love, DVD-A Explorer managed to rip the 24/96 multichannel soundtracks to 24/96 stereo flacs in a single pass. Gapless playback on Love worked perfectly as well.

Allan
Posted on: 11 August 2008 by PMR
Guys,

I know these are big files, but can you upload them anywhere so we can download and play. Would be interesting to hear what you experiencing and whether it is DAC specific.

Regards,

Peter
Posted on: 11 August 2008 by pcstockton
quote:
Originally posted by PMR:

I know these are big files, but can you upload them anywhere so we can download and play.

That would be illegal. Just figured it should be said.

-Patrick
Posted on: 11 August 2008 by Mr Underhill
quote:
Originally posted by pcstockton:
quote:
Originally posted by PMR:

I know these are big files, but can you upload them anywhere so we can download and play.

That would be illegal. Just figured it should be said.

-Patrick

Yep.