Terminal Mac Mini

Posted by: james n on 07 September 2008

Well after 6 years of various Mac Ownership (Powerbook, Powermac, parents Mac Mini, Ipods etc) An Apple product has finally let me down. My 3 week old Mini has been having issues after a software update (think its hardware related as it won't even boot now from the install disks) so its back to the dealer for a new one tomorrow. Apart from a couple of hours messing around to try and fix it it's been no real loss - all my music sits on a Raid NAS drive (with backup to a separate USB drive) and the Mini was just bought as a pure iTunes server.

So with thoughts turning to Computer Audio and large music collections stored - Make sure all your valuable data is backed up Smile

James
Posted on: 07 September 2008 by Jim Lawson
Is the internal hard drive shot?
Posted on: 07 September 2008 by james n
No that's fine - can use it in Target mode and verify the disk from my laptop. Seems to be in the Leopard install which it doesn't seem happy with. I've got a feeling that one of the RAM cards could need re-seating but after opening it up it was too much hassle to get to the RAM. The dealer can sort it tomorrow - after 3 weeks i'd expect a new one no questions asked.

James
Posted on: 07 September 2008 by u5227470736789439
Surely no one is going to rely entirely on one un-backed-up hard drive to store music?

That way is bound to lead to tears.

George
Posted on: 07 September 2008 by Jim Lawson
So all your valuable data is intact on the internal hard drive. Under the circumstances you've explained, one would only need to to get the valuable data off the drive from the dead Mini Mac, no backup/restore needed. Your comment that "Make sure all your valuable data is backed up" is a good practice but even without one you would be fine.
Posted on: 07 September 2008 by Guido Fawkes
Hi James

Have you tried flushing the PRAM

Command-Option-P-R : Flushes the PRAM if held down immediately after startup tone. Your machine will chime when it’s erased the PRAM, most people will hold this combination for a total of 3 chimes to really flush the PRAM out.

If a MAC won't boot from initial install disc then this can be caused by corruption in the Programable Random Access Memory (PRAM) - you can clear such corruption by flushing the PRAM as above.

I've known this to happen on several MACs I've encountered at work - most times I was able to cure it as above without returning it to Apple.

Another thing to try is repairing the internal HD

Boot to single user mode by holding down Command-S during the boot sequence - you should get a prompt. At the prompt type

fsck -y

and hit return

This will do a File System ChecK and automatically repair any damage if it can (and it usually can).

As your booting for a Target drive, you could do a file system repair from Disk Utility, which is virtually the same as fsck.

HTH Rotf
Posted on: 07 September 2008 by daddycool
Thanks for the insider tips ROTF!

I have saved them in case anything similar happens to any of our Macs.
Posted on: 07 September 2008 by james n
Thanks ROTF - been through all those options - in verbose mode Command V - it's got to the point now of not being able to create internal files and then hangs - it ain't a happy bunny.

Jim - agreed although in my case no data is stored on the internal drive (apart from the OS, applications and configs). Just reminding people (and i'm guilty of it myself) to back up data Smile

Cheers

James
Posted on: 07 September 2008 by Guido Fawkes
quote:
Originally posted by daddycool:
Thanks for the insider tips ROTF!

I have saved them in case anything similar happens to any of our Macs.

Hi daddycool

Do you use Carbon Copy Cloner? It has got me out of gaol a few times; sometimes I have to harden MACs (i.e. delete all but the essential programs) and if I go too far it won't start Eek CCC is my resident rescue package. CCC is free BTW.

ATB Rotf
Posted on: 08 September 2008 by rega1
james. you posted on another thread (supernait trouble...on distributed audio I think) a picture of the mini toslink for the mac output. What is the cable brand, and what local store could you find one? I want to try a mac book through my SNAIT tomorrow (today for our British friends), and I cannot find where best buy, etc. has a mini toslink for sale off the shelf?

rega1
Posted on: 08 September 2008 by Exiled Highlander
Scott
quote:
and I cannot find where best buy, etc. has a mini toslink for sale off the shelf?
I can loan you mine...

Jim
Posted on: 08 September 2008 by winkyincanada
My Mini toslink is done via an adaptor that steps the square-ish toslink down to the minijack form to plug into my AE (or MacBook). I'm not that surprised you're having trouble sourcing one. In my experience they aren't that easy to find, either as a complete "cable" or as an adaptor. It's maybe a bit of an Apple thing?
Posted on: 08 September 2008 by garyi
They are extremely common and come in the bag with many optical cables.

Type in toslink adaptor on ebay for an idea.
Posted on: 08 September 2008 by imperialline
quote:
In my experience they aren't that easy to find, either as a complete "cable" or as an adaptor. It's maybe a bit of an Apple thing?

Go to any Apple store or order it online from Apple, Amazon, or eBay or other electronics stores on the web. There is in excess of 1,000,000+ billions of them out there, just google it.
Posted on: 08 September 2008 by winkyincanada
Gee, it must be just me. I looked at the new Apple store here in Vancouver and at Future shop and they didn't have them in stock. Nor did Apple seem to stock the adaptors in their online store. Only the cable and adaptor complete, and then in the wrong length. Oh well - I must have been unlucky. You know that feeling when the universe is ganging up on you?

I just looked at the online store again and the 4m cables are back in stock. Still no separate adaptors, though. That'll teach me to shoot my mouth off about things that I have no clue about. I'll just go away quietly now. Nice to know you guys. Have fun.
Posted on: 08 September 2008 by james n
Rega 1 - The cable was a Chord Optichord - you can order a mini toslink to toslink version.

Cheers

James
Posted on: 09 September 2008 by james n
One of the Ram modules had become dislodged - i'd opened the mini up but the Intel based unit buries the ram cards and i didn't have the tools i needed with me at home to go further. Oh well all sorted now. All i need is the bloody Lavry to arrive Roll Eyes

James
Posted on: 13 September 2008 by aht
The easiest way to get a mini-to-standard Toslink cable is to order the "AirPort Express Stereo Connection Kit with Monster Cables" from the Apple Store online. $39 USD.
Posted on: 13 September 2008 by glevethan
Google monoprice dot com - they are a great cable supplier. Three foot mini toslink to toslink for about $4. Anything Monster is a total waste.

Gregg