Nissan 350z

Posted by: Simon Perry on 28 November 2003

Saw my first one 'in the flesh' last night, parked outside my flat. Wow. Anyone considering the Mazda RX8 should seriously look at this car too.
Has anyone here test driven one?
regards
Simon
Posted on: 28 November 2003 by MichaelC
I am seriously considering signing up for one of these - just got to persuade sWMBO that it is a suitable family car Eek

Mike
Posted on: 29 November 2003 by Onthlam
It does catch your eye....
Great colors and what,275 horses?
Every time I see one I am thinking, Hmm...Looks as good as the others your looking at and is half the price....Is another 100 horse worth another 30 grand??
Damn, just have the thing supercharged and be done with it..(another 5 grand?)....

Sweet stuff....
Posted on: 01 December 2003 by Tim Oldridge
In June, I drove and was offered a sliver Japanese import 350Z (badged as a Fairlady). I didn't buy it, at least in part because the dealer was asking a £3,500 premium to the anticipated UK list price.

My impressions, FWIW:
- Really stylish looking especially in side-on. It's even better in the metal than in photos. It's quite a short car, and has a hint of "as wide as it's long" about it. The back end is not perfect and the bonnet line from the front is a tad generic Jap coupe. I wonder whether they'll become very common on UK roads; the styling may not age well.
-great engine music. Very torquey, and plenty of power. The delivery is very smooth throughout the rev range- no feeling camminess or "switching on" a turbo. But that does mean there's no mid-range kick in the kidneys
-firm ride and very satisfying RWD handling
-great steering feel
-light clutch, short-throw and meaty gear change
-very nice two seater feeling. Good seats and cockpit. In some places, the plastics are distinctly cheap feeling. Not much oddments storage.
-I thought the rear visibility was very good - much better than I'd feared from the reviews
-rubbish luggage space, as advertised

NB: the UK spec is slightly different from the Japanese import I drove. The UK models are reportedly tweaked for a better ride for our lousy roads. I think there's a bigger fuel tank and oil cooler, luggage blind and revised under-car aerodynamic spoilers. I had heard that some of the interior plastics etc have been upgraded for UK spec cars.

Timo

p.s. go for it!