HDX how does that little screen work

Posted by: Briz Vegas on 03 November 2008

Hey, why didn't Naim put that screen on the remote control, like an iphone.

I would prefer to see my menu selections in my hand rather that trying to read it across the other side of the room
Posted on: 03 November 2008 by Alco
quote:
Hey, why didn't Naim put that screen on the remote control, like an iphone.

I would prefer to see my menu selections in my hand rather that trying to read it across the other side of the room

Unfortunately I have to agree...it's 1 reason for me why I would/could never buy a HDX, even if it was half the price.

Perhaps if the CD-cover art option was not included in the display the text/info might be more readable.
I mean, I'm not that interested in seeing a CD-cover the size of a stamp, but others might disagree ofcourse.

You can hook up the HDX to an external device as a laptop or monitor, as I've seen in a demo at a Naim dealer, but imho it's a bit odd that such an expensive device more or less needs it to use it.

(must confess though that the menu itself looks very user friendly and the HDX sounds superb)

regards,
Alco
Posted on: 03 November 2008 by KTMax
This thread belongs to (and will probably move to) the distributed audio forum but I think Naim should take a good look at the brilliant remote from the Squeezebox Duet.

Richard.
Posted on: 03 November 2008 by Andrew Jackson
quote:
Originally posted by KTMax:
I think Naim should take a good look at the brilliant remote from the Squeezebox Duet.

...and the iPod-touch!
Posted on: 03 November 2008 by gary1 (US)
The only time I use the touch screen on the HDX is for following rips when I had an entire collection to convert. Otherwise, I never use the TS and have it set to turn off the backlight after 1 minute as I don't want to even see the screen when listening and the TS is slow.

When I control the HDX from my tablet it is instantaneous. I agree with the Duet remote, but who knows the cost to develop or should it have been included for the price of the HDX?

If, and that's if, itouch has flash then this would be an easy way to go. DD says the Nokias work well, but with all of these things so far what I really don't like is that the scrren isn't fully filled with the Naim screen and you still see the other computer edges around the outside.

The touch screen was put in so that you didn't need a computer, but it really didn't need to be added and I would have much preferred the set-up with a duet type remote as opposed to the TS. This way the tablet wouldn't even be needed.

I don't know what is different between the Naim screen and Sonos since they now have Sonos for itouch. I am assuming they don't need flash for their touch screen to work.
Posted on: 03 November 2008 by teabelly
The hdx doesn't have wireless ethernet so it would be difficult to create a remote that would have the current real time information from the hdx without it. I just used the flash interface from my mac to control it remotely instead. Much easier. Any wifi enabled phone/pda with a flash (swf) player would also work just as well.

The notion that you don't need a computer is false as some of the functionality can only be accessed via a pc eg deleting cds. Ditto changing some of the settings. That is the most annoying thing about it. Either everything can be done via the touch screen or you remove it altogether and have a better remote and a screen which shows you what track/artist/playlist is playing so that you can see from your sofa. It's a half way house at the moment.
Posted on: 03 November 2008 by Briz Vegas
I thought that whole appeal of this device is that it is stand alone - you should not need a PC, although I guess the whole digital music thing assumes that we will get our music from the internet in the future. This raises the esperate issue of what I do with my browsing time. "I'm just popping out to check out whats new at the record st.............on second thoughts I'll just sit and stare at this stupid screen a bit longer"

I digress.

Maybe the next HD player will have this "hand held" functionality.
Posted on: 03 November 2008 by Paul Stephenson
In the next software release you will be able to change names and delete from the front panel.
Many hand held devices can operate the hdx now as suggested above.
Posted on: 03 November 2008 by gary1 (US)
Paul I really feel that no matter what Naim does to the front panel of the HDX in terms of functionality most users, not all, will resort to another device to control the kit. It's a nicer , ie larger, screen and the fact is that the changes done via HH or PC are instantaneous or nearly so. I searched and played music via the HDX TS and while you can certainly do so, browsing and pulling down with your finger is somewhat cumbersome and defintiely slow. Much more control with a mouse, stylet or tablet pen.

I guess my question is however, why is control of the HDX via TS so much slower in terms of speed of access and data visibility than if one uses the same TS interface, but accessed through a remote device as above. It clearly is accessing the data via a different route.
Posted on: 04 November 2008 by u5227470736789454
I think someone at Naim missed a trick about the remote - I have tried the touch screen and personally I can't get on with it as it is too small, not user friendly ( drag with fingernail) and I would not have an HDX at eye level (which is where it would need to be) to easily work easily with the existing TS. At the moment I run a CD5x and a mac/iTouch, one for music quality and one for ease ( you choose which is which Winker ). I want an HDX, and will buy one when the interface is sorted out, I would personally suggest no screen, a decent TS remote, or the ability to use an iTouch, and the ability to link to computer for working in greater detail when needed.
I don't mind spending the money but not want to pay for something which does not add value (the TS) and would prefer either the screen removed and price reduced, or screen removed and CDS level performance for the existing price.
I am certain that Naim is on the right track and I look forward to seeing the "finished "version of the HDX/HDS
Barrie
Posted on: 04 November 2008 by David Dever
The Nokia N800 works fine, especially when Using the same movie as the front panel interface. The N770 does not look nearly as good, with scroll bars down the side.

By the way-I am using a screen-less NS01, and I can assure you that most of you would complain if there WASN'T a front panel UI-I miss it.

The iPhone/iPod touch screen is small, and Apple seems to have locked out Adobe as regards Flash-may have to wait for the Apple tablet.
Posted on: 04 November 2008 by garyi
Well basically there is an HDX without screen its called the ns01 I think. Its cheaper giving you enough money left to buy an uber touch screen device, then run the naim flash application on that device, job done.

As far as I am concerned naim have made sure to appeal to plenty of potential users, its down to customers to ask the questions of their dealer.

IMO of course.
Posted on: 04 November 2008 by Paul Stephenson
On a device which is able to render graphics quickly then the user interface will appear more sprightly than a device which is slower to render the images. (The same applies for processing the text data from searches and rendering the fonts required in displaying that data.
The HDX front panel is not as quick as some devices and therefore is likely to appear a bit slower - there are faster units available but they cost more, consume more power and produce more heat. I here what you are saying but in general the reception to the screen and speed is not an issue.

Gary there are very big differences between the 01 and hdx, the sound performance of the hdx is in another place... much much better!plus you can add the xps or 555ps
Posted on: 04 November 2008 by nocker
quote:
Originally posted by Paul Stephenson:
In the next software release you will be able to change names and delete from the front panel.
Many hand held devices can operate the hdx now as suggested above.

Paul what hand held devices are most compatable?
Hi,
Sorry, I've obviously not been clear - I do not want an NS01 - or I would have bought one. I am saying that I really like the HDX ( and as far as I have been told ( not having heard it ) the sonic performance of the HDX is better, I really like idea behind the HDX and the twin hard drive, the ripping method etc, and I don't need an "uber touch screen", just one that helps me avoid crawling around on hands and knees to use the built in touch screen, which apart from agravating my back problems looks seriously uncool Frown
I am just saying that I would like an HDX, without the glitches/ommissions and given the numbers of comments - yours included Gary, there does seem to be an area or two for improvement.
Given the number of software updates to press (is it 3 or 4 ?) Naim are obviously really working on getting it right, my comments are merely more grist to the mill, for their next model, if thats OK with everyone else.
Hi Paul,

Thanks for the confirmation on the sound quality of the HDX vs NS01 that is what I had been told previously.

Barrie
Posted on: 04 November 2008 by gary1 (US)
[QUOTE]Originally posted by David Dever:

By the way-I am using a screen-less NS01, and I can assure you that most of you would complain if there WASN'T a front panel UI-I miss it.
QUOTE]

Agree with that. The front panel screen is nice as an option if you need it. Always good to have choices.
Posted on: 04 November 2008 by Paul Stephenson
baz, we always intended to release features on an ongoing basis, much more too come. The nokia 800 if you are using windows os2007 works well but basically anything that will run flash.
Sorry guys I did not mean to suggest the NS01 was on par with an hdx sound wise.

However if you totally must not have a touch screen because it upsets you so much, naim have given you options Winker
Posted on: 04 November 2008 by gary1 (US)
Barrie, the playback of the HDX is really excellent, especially like the other CDPs when you add the PSUs.

My comments regarding the HDX really are based upon the UI and not musical performance. While I do expect performance upgrades for the HDX via software development I think that you'll see changes to the UI to make it a more user friendly device. All in all, I'd have to say that despite the glitches in the UI, overall it is a really positive experience, just takes a little time to figure things out, but no big issues.

I'd be interested to hear the feedback on the new development vis a vis Jon Honeyballs experience that led to some internal HDX changes and whether these have an effect on electronics interaction only or also an improvement in performance.
Hi Gary,
I really believe the HDX is the way forward, certainly for me, my comments are based on the fact that if many users tend not to use the TS in anger and prefer either a tablet ( for more intricate work) or other UI ie Nokia etc for simple usage, then Naim have actually overspecified the TS performance, which from a cost perspective does not make a great deal of sense.
Just my three ha'pence worth, and I am really looking forward to getting mine
Thanks for all the chat on this - passion about your hobby/brand is a very good thing Smile
But baz when you are laying on the floor sorting through your CDs with your 4th glass of wine, I can imagine that screen being really nice to check rips as they are happening whilst you listen to some awesome music on your HDX.

I would see it more as a really nice extra, as it can be configured to be off, I don't see the problem.
Hi Paul,
I'm not knocking the updates and I am really pleased to see the responsiveness of Naim, it's great to see this level of response and support as it bodes well for product longevity, which given the initial investment is good for supporting the purchase decision ( and reducing the cold sweats).
On the UI front, I am just echoing others comments that a good UI ( sonos/iTouch-like) is good for the user, for WAF ( wife appreciation factor ) and bragging rights if so desired.
The HDX is a great product and I am certain it will get even better
Barrie
Gary, you are absolutely right, I hadn't thought of that - what a cracking selling point.

Naim - please include this in you marketing material it's a definate USP

Barrie
Hey now now! I was being quite serious. Or put another way if you want to do something quickly, if you want to stick the new cd in and keep an eye on the rip or you have just walked in the door and want to get some music underway. That is why I imagine the screen is there.

Munch, no product with a computer in, none what so ever in the history of time ever went to market 100% perfect , and from that point I think you very much did mean to get peoples backs up.
Hi Gary,
Ah, now I see, although I think my interpretation works well too - sell only to audiophile short, drunken folks with good eyesight, small fingers and the patience of Job, I think that is what they call niche marketing.

Just joking, I do take your point, but once again it does seem a bit over specified just to check rips - I mean Macs just regurgitate the disc when the jobs done, no chance of anything so mundane for us though.
Barrie