Will Naimnet's software be pc and/or Mac based?

Posted by: Voltaire on 08 September 2007

as per title if anyone knows?

Confused
Posted on: 08 September 2007 by kuma
As all macs now are running on Intel chipset, I don't think it matters any longer.

I hope, however, the user interface is good as the Mac. ( PC still has the way to go and the Window blows )
Posted on: 08 September 2007 by prowla
A Mac is a PC, as are Linux desktops.
I sure hope the Naim systems don't run Microsoft Windows, though...
Posted on: 08 September 2007 by Voltaire
Sorry, out of practice at being precise, I meant of course Mac or Windows.
Posted on: 08 September 2007 by Signals UK
My understanding is that they should be able to read music data files from Mac, Windows or Linux machines. Proof of the pudding with be trying it out.

We have Macs here, so should be able to find out as soon as we get a music server. I'm not sure that the Power PC (G4 /G5) / vs Intel versions will make a lot of odds, since it is more a matter of the OS allowing access.

Regards,

Alastair
Posted on: 08 September 2007 by Guido Fawkes
My hope is the Naim Music Server is self contained with its own operating software; I don't want to have to use a computer just to play a song; to me that would be a step backwards. I thought the Naimnet installation tools ran under Windows (which is unfortunate, but tolerable); however, once the set-up was done, you could throw the Windows stuff away and it would could continue to work. I really don't want to connect a music server to Windows PC or the Internet and risk viruses and other malware.
Posted on: 08 September 2007 by Signals UK
quote:
y hope is the Naim Music Server is self contained with its own operating software; I don't want to have to use a computer just to play a song; to me that would be a step backwards. I thought the Naimnet installation tools ran under Windows (which is unfortunate, but tolerable); however, once the set-up was done, you could throw the Windows stuff away and it would could continue to work. I really don't want to connect a music server to Windows PC or the Internet and risk viruses and other malware.

Fear not it is, or at least can be, self-contained. The computer compatibility is in allowing it access to external data files. The digilinx system, which is used to control the IP based multi-room element is indeed windows based (dammit). As I understand it, some of the internal operational software within the Naim units is similarly windows based but it is designed to remain properly isolated away from potential malware on adjacent PC's.

It all made sense when the guy explained it to me . . . now I think I'm out of my depth.

Alastair
Posted on: 08 September 2007 by garyi
I would assume the main issue is if the software recognises the drives formatting. i.e. Apple Extended, Fat32 or NFTC.

The premise of the NaimNet stuff seems to suggest if it can read a harddrive then it can find music files. In which case the supporting OS is neither here no9r there, If naim net can see MP3 or AIFF then it should see it regardless of OS.
Posted on: 08 September 2007 by JonathanP
What is the latest in delivery of Naimnet? We are about to commence a 3-month home renovation programme and would like to be able to consider incorporating it, but so far it appears to remain enigmatic.
Posted on: 08 September 2007 by Macker
quote:
Originally posted by garyi:
I would assume the main issue is if the software recognises the drives formatting. i.e. Apple Extended, Fat32 or NFTC.

The software does not know how the drive is formatted, it is irrelevant, Naimnet is using standard TCP/IP as a communication protocol (just as the internet does).

Devices that can comunicate using TCP/IP do their own interpretation of their hard disks and break that information into packets of information formatted to comply with the TCP/IP standard, then send it to another device which then decodes the packets and uses it in the way it needs to for it's own operating system.

Think of TCP/IP as a common language that allows devices to communicate regardless of what operating system language they normally use.
Macker, you seem to understand this better han many. Does the naimnet system just require standard inetrnet cabling (i.e. if the house is fully wired, we need to simply plug in the control/amplifier units in each room and the gubbins in what is akin to a server box)? If so, it would be simple enough to wire the house in advance and then install as-and-when it becomes available.
A scondary question would be whether the cabling should be unique, or whether just one cable is needed for home automoation and regular internet usage in addition to Naimnet.
Posted on: 08 September 2007 by Macker
As I understand it (and I may be wrong) but NaimNet is licenced to use Netstreams technology, the products in their range have a number of keypads and room amps, etc that require 28V DC to be supplied to them...there is a dual cable that combines a good quality ethernet cable and a 4 wire cable that can be used to supply the 28V or be used as speaker wire between their room amps and speakers.

It is a little difficult to comment on exactly what will be required but I think it would be fair to say that if you are contempling pre-wiring for NainNet then you would be advised to contact your nearest Naimnet dealer for advice. there needs to be quite a bit of thought given to what you want, where you want it and at what level of performance...
Thanks Macker. Good point, but do Naimnet installers actually exist yet?
Posted on: 08 September 2007 by Cjones
quote:
Originally posted by Macker:
As I understand it (and I may be wrong) but NaimNet is licenced to use Netstreams technology, the products in their range have a number of keypads and room amps, etc that require 28V DC to be supplied to them...there is a dual cable that combines a good quality ethernet cable and a 4 wire cable that can be used to supply the 28V or be used as speaker wire between their room amps and speakers.

It is a little difficult to comment on exactly what will be required but I think it would be fair to say that if you are contempling pre-wiring for NainNet then you would be advised to contact your nearest Naimnet dealer for advice. there needs to be quite a bit of thought given to what you want, where you want it and at what level of performance...

Exactly, it is fairly involved. Netstreams just released a mess of product a CEDIA. Considering running CAT6 or at least two runs of CAT5e. Then there are separate lines to power all the units and control pads. Finally, there is a series of black boxes...

I don't think I fully realized the commitment when I signed up, but I am committed now@. I really like the idea of putting these naimnet boxes at my parents, mother in laws, etc. and being able to access the collection globally!
Posted on: 09 September 2007 by garyi
Macker I understand the protocol thing, however my mac for instance may well be on the network but naimnet is going to need software in order to recognise a mac is there, and then further to look on the harddrive for music?

In other words I am confused. I have lots of things on the network, a printer for instance advirtisig itself as a printer that the macs with appropriate software can pick up and use.

How is naim net going to know I have 3 macs with 6 harddrives, how is it going to probe them harddrives (In many cases my harddrives are asleep) and how is all that going to be controlled.

I have 16,000 tunes on one harddrive, this is connected to a mac via usb, how is it going to know to look there for that music?

I am interested to know, currently I am only able to access this harddrive with appropriate software, i.e. my Macs operating systems.
Posted on: 09 September 2007 by Voltaire
this was more or the less the same thing confusing me.
Posted on: 09 September 2007 by Voltaire
still is...
Posted on: 09 September 2007 by Macker
quote:
Originally posted by garyi:
Macker I understand the protocol thing, however my mac for instance may well be on the network but naimnet is going to need software in order to recognise a mac is there, and then further to look on the harddrive for music?

It may know what OS you are using (big brother knows everything) but, more importantly, it doesn't care. In the same way that your MAC doesn't care that to browse the internet it is accessing servers running Linux, Sun, Microsoft, Netware & Unix (to name a few) operating systems....it is only concerned about talking to other OS's in a common language...Your MAC will respond to requests via TCP/IP and will do it's own internal thing in the way MAC's are designed to before sending information back to the requesting device in a standard TCP/IP manner...

Don't be too worried about how or why it works, people far more intelligent than you and I are paid vast sums of money to know how to do all this stuff...they try to make it easy for mere mortals to use - well that is the goal anyway.