remote controls

Posted by: artist on 10 March 2005

I have amassed a collection of remote controls it is getting out of hand i need one control to cover everything(one for all look cheap)it heeds to be able to control sky+
Posted on: 10 March 2005 by Two-Sheds
I had similar issues several months ago and after seeing a thread on this forum decided to go for a Philips Pronto. I've got an older version of the pronto (no colour screen), but it looks like the layout etc. is the same.

On the plus side it has loads of devices set for it doesn't take too long to find all your devices on it. If it doesn't have your device then it can learn (point your remote at it and it can record the signal). You can program multiple functions to one button, for example press one button and it turns your tv on, dvd on, switches the tv to the dvd channel, turns on your amps and sets the input from your dvd.

To pick the layouts you want you do really need to hook it up to your pc and they include software to design your screens and navigation and then you download it to the pronto.

The bad sides are the price (it is pricey) and it eats batteries, after it went through tht efirst set I bought the additional base station and rechargable battery pack. Alos there are not many physical buttons (handy ones for volume, channel up and down and mute), but in general the rest are touch screen which you can't find by touch.
Posted on: 10 March 2005 by artist
i don't think i am willing to spend £500 on a remote control,that is a bit out of my range
Posted on: 10 March 2005 by TomK
The Universal Mosaic is a bit more reasonably priced (mine cost £70 from Richer Sounds for the rechargeable model). It handles 15 (I think) devices and is extremely flexible. It's also touch screen but I confess I miss the positive feeling of real buttons. It's a good compromise though and handles my Pace cable remote better than any other universal I've come across.
Any views on the logitec 655 and 688
Ihave been looking at the philips range and you can get the 950 pronto from £180 which does most of the functions of the more expensive 980 and above
Posted on: 11 March 2005 by Roy Donaldson
Have a look at the Home Theatre Master MX-700.
I had a Pronto for ages and changed to the MX-700. Much better remote and my wife likes it too.

Roy.
Posted on: 12 March 2005 by artist
Hi Roy where can i get the mx700 any links
quote:
Originally posted by artist:
Hi Roy where can i get the mx700 any links

also i have noticed that software supplied with most remotes is pc based i use a mac which can be a problem
Posted on: 12 March 2005 by Roy Donaldson
I got my MX-700 on eBay from a retailer in the US. They are custom installer remotes and as such are not meant to be sold without the programming. You can however find them on eBay for about 100 pounds brand new.

Roy.
I have found a dealer who can do it for $200 $205 inc shipping
Posted on: 13 March 2005 by SimonJ
I've had a pronto and hated it as you obviously couldn't feel the buttons. I've got a HTM MX-600 and it's pretty good, but I just bought a Logitec H655 from the Bristol show the other week and it's really cool and I would definatley recommend!! Has the 4 coloured buttons for teletext/sky and also has 4 directional buttons and a select button rather than a dodgy joystick type device that my girlfriend cannot work. You have to have a pc and an internet connection though to program it.
Posted on: 26 March 2005 by Richwleeds
I'm looking at the Logitech - to replace a number of remotes. Question - will it manage/control all of the following:
- Naim gear (252, CDX2)
- Sky + Box (including the record, pause etc functions)
- Denon Surround Sound Processor (3802) (source selection and volume primarily)
- Denon DVD Player
- NEC Plasma screen
Posted on: 26 March 2005 by SimonJ
Yes, no problem. It really is very universal. I have :

- Naim gear (282, AV2, CDX2)
- Sky
- PC media centre
- Panasonic DVD/HDD recorder
- Pansonic plasma

It took 3/4 attempts at programming it to get it just right and I had to put on a few custom buttons in the display bit, but myself and more importantly my girlfriend are very happy with it.
Posted on: 31 March 2005 by Philip Cogswell
Has anyone any experience with the Loewe RC1 with Naim Audio gear?
Posted on: 01 April 2005 by Marc Evans
I like the look of those logitech / harmony remotes. I just went though the "test drive" setup on the website and was pretty impressed. I see that they have a spiffy new one now with a colour screen and lots of hard buttons (Model 880) - I don't suppose anyone's got one and would care to comment?

When I got the pronto it was unbeatable, but I'm starting to think that more hard buttons would be nice!
Posted on: 02 April 2005 by Richwleeds
My Logitech 688 arrived this morning. I cannot get it to recognise input selection on my naim 252. I think its because the preamp is controlled by the same remote as the CDX2 and the Harmony is not allowing it to switch to preamp mode. Any tips for setting this up?
Many thanks
Posted on: 04 April 2005 by BigH47
Can the Logitech not learn the code(point the NAIM at it) to switch to pre amp mode?

Howard
Posted on: 05 April 2005 by Richwleeds
Thanks - after much trial and error I've got it working