Well its started

Posted by: Neill Ferguson on 23 August 2005

Dear All

Like I said in a previous post I intend to change the system somewhat and the first change has been made. I sold the Meridian DVD player and have ordered a DVD5. I have the dealers on loan so I can now give you all first hand experience of Naim vs Meridian vs Linn.

I put the Naim in the system and played a Cd can't say i was impressed however I remembered reading here the for best results via Cd to connect via two phono leads. So I took the dust of a pair of chord Chorus I have had for a bit and plugged them in. Bingo better than my old CD3.5 it really sung and was exactly what I was looking for as a CD machine. I can say now it bets the Linn 2.1 and the Meridian for straight cd reply.

On picture its good but for me the meridian has the edge in the black area there just blacker if that makes sense. I won't say the picture is bad its not, picture quaility is very good I just think the Meridian is better. Its on par with the linn if not slightly better I have not had the chance to do indepth tests with various connections so when I do I'll let you know the outcome

DVD sound well trust Naim to be different. It just sounds different from both the Meridian and the Linn. I have just had my AV2 updated and I plugged the two of them together via a Cat5 lead. Got everything working, but I can't get both units to switch on/off into standby together anyone any idea's. Anyway back to the sound, better than the Linn which is now looking like a rather expensive mistake. The meridian was a transport so the AV2s DAC had to do the work. But somehow they both sounded good together both are very different sounding neither in a bad way. So its a tie for my ears. However I have to give it to Meridian I tried the G68 and the G98 as a combo bets the Naim combo not by a lot but is better, but then again those two units cost another £2K more.

So overall I am very happy with the Naim combo, Dealer has advised me to keep my Bryston and not to change to Naim power amps as he does not feel they would be as good as the Bryston. So for the time being that beast is staying. it has green lights so it matches not to bad

Neill
Posted on: 23 August 2005 by garyi
I don't get it?

If you already own the meridian, and it beats the naim on picture quality and just beats it on sound...

Why are you swapping it for the naim?
Posted on: 25 August 2005 by Neill Ferguson
Garyi

Cause of the sync fact of the AV2 and the DVD5, I also can't afford to make the changes to my system and get the matching G68. So i have a settled front end now I just need to change the speaker package

Neill
Posted on: 26 August 2005 by Mr Underhill
Neill,

I found your observations interesting - especially following my extended dem of the Meridian and top of the range Denon.

I agree that overall the M. has a better picture than the DVD5 - fractionally.

However, I think the Naim is the clear winner in the sound stakes - from a certain view point.

In terms of film sound stearing I think both the Meridian and Denon beat the Naim. But in terms of musical involvement and enjoyment the Naim wins by a street.

This was the reason I stuck with the DVD5.

Martin
Posted on: 05 September 2005 by Neill Ferguson
Mr Underhill

How did you find outright DVD sound with that of the meridian and the Denon. I found the DVD5 sounded different from my Meridian. I do however agree with you that outright CD replay it is very impressive. I am more than happy with the Machine as a cd spinner

Neill
Posted on: 07 September 2005 by Mr Underhill
Hi Neill,

It was the DVD musical sound I was refering to.

As an example:
I was watching the Firth version of Pride & Predjudice. It contains a number of musical scenes. On the Meridian and Denon they were both acceptable, through the Naim I found the music very engaging. I found the same with musical soundtracks, on DVD, and musical DVDs.

I did like both the Meridian and Denon - but for me it was the musically engaging nature of the DVD5 that made up my mind. I could easily understand another person choosing either of the other players.

I agree the CD side is good to.

Martin
Posted on: 08 September 2005 by Neill Ferguson
Mr Underhill

I was more meaning with DVD movie soundtracks, I really have found the DVD5 to be just different sounding than anyother DVD machine I have heard. The sense of being there that is created is very very good. I really have not had a chance to demo the DVD5 with music soundtracks at all.

I really like it as a Cd machine and feel the performance is very very good. I do belive it does for me beat the other two machines you have mentioned hands down

Neill
Posted on: 08 September 2005 by Greggles
Not for the first time, I've been toying with the idea of replacing my Arcam DV29 (great picture, average CD replay) with a DVD5. I have arranged a home dem and will be picking up from dealer on Friday.
Before money changed hands, I would appreciate some advice/information. Firstly, have all the minor operating bugs that I've heared about now been ironed out of the DVD5? Secondly, would I be better off keeping the Arcam and investing in a dedicated (Naim?) Cd player?
Posted on: 08 September 2005 by Mr Underhill
Hi Greggles,

I've had issues with the DVD5 - but the latest software update has sorted all the main issues for me.

I use the DVD5 with a Benchmark DAC1 - and I think this is a great combo.

I would advise doing what I did - some extended home demos.

Martin