video projector

Posted by: Nuno Baptista on 24 April 2005

Recently,I was at a friendīs house.He has bought a new video projector,and we start to see a movie.Itīs really amazing the quality of image,watch the movie on a big ecran!I start to think think itīs better to buy a video projector rather than a plasma.Just my thoughts,sure!
Posted on: 24 April 2005 by John G.
I agree, certainly more economical and if you want to get the proper viewing angle ya pretty much have to.
Posted on: 25 April 2005 by Mr Underhill
I spent some time on this decision - and finally plumped for the plasma.

Having used a projector I came to the view that if I had a dedicated AV room I would get a projector - I don't.

The main reason for this was the need to darken the room for the proj.

M
Posted on: 25 April 2005 by Nuno Baptista
The plasma is better for watch TV but for watch movies I prefer the video projector!
Posted on: 28 April 2005 by djorg
Mr Underhill:
Same conclusion as you...
Dark room necessity is the main desagreement of videoprojector.

But, I prefer videoprojector to watch DVD, and it's clearly more economical!

Finally, it's the poor quality of TV program that make me choice Videoprojector

Djorg
Posted on: 28 April 2005 by Rico
I've not yet seen a plasma I could live with, yet have seen projectors I could live with. Go figure.

In the mean time, enjoying my CRT TV. I'd enjoy it more with a DVD5 and AV2...
Posted on: 29 April 2005 by Richard Dane
Having recently installed a fairly inexpensive DLP projector (Infocus 4805 - thanks Chris Murphy for the "vertical dem" during my visit down under) along with a 7ft screen in the living room, I am discovering that the principle of source first applies just as much to video as it does to audio. With a DVD5 spinning discs at the front end and connection to the 4805 made via component lead (still waiting for the adaptor from Infocus to use DVI), the picture is pretty incredible - and that's without even considering the modest price of the projector! I have seen pictures from much more expensive projectors look not as good when fed from inferior DVD players... The picture on the 4805 when fed from my old DVD player is big but that only exposes the problems of colour balance, burn-out, artefacting etc.. more obviously, something that the DVD5 avoids.

Needless to say I'm watching my DVDs anew and I'm starting to wonder how much better it can get with a projector costing 10 times as much....

Just my 10p worth....
Posted on: 29 April 2005 by JonR
So you've got a swanky new DVD5 to play with eh, Richard?? Perk of the job, is it?? Big Grin Big Grin

Nice to see you back on these boards by the way, if only temporarily.... Smile

Cheers,

Jon
Posted on: 29 April 2005 by Steve G
I've the luxury of a dedicated AV room so went with a projector. The project was considerably cheaper than a reasonable plasma at the time, and IMHO the quality better. Add the much bigger screen size (42" v 8') and it was a no brainer.

I still wouldn't mind a plasma tv for the living room though as it'd take up much less room than the 32" widescreen CRT we currently use.
Posted on: 29 April 2005 by Richard Dane
quote:
Originally posted by JonR:
So you've got a swanky new DVD5 to play with eh, Richard?? Perk of the job, is it?? Big Grin Big Grin

Nice to see you back on these boards by the way, if only temporarily.... Smile

Cheers,

Jon

Swanky yes, but new, no.... a very early unit but wonderful all the same. The perk in question is to to try out the software and firmware during development and then take notes on any areas where problems may arise. Development work can get pretty frustrating at times but the hard work pays off eventually.

I try to post when I can but the travel commitments tend to get in the way sometimes. And of course Adam seems to be doing a much better job than I ever could.... Hopefully the BBC won't discover him and cast him as the next Dr Who....

Richard
Posted on: 02 May 2005 by arf005
I'd have to say beamer over plasma any day, but that's just my opinion based on our house and what we can do with it.....

Will, some day, be putting a beamer in our Den and am wondering what screens you went for - Steve or Richard...??

IE. Manufacturer.... Did you use a local company in Edinburgh Steve.... Fixed to the wall or pull down...??? etc etc.

Cheers,
Ali
Posted on: 03 May 2005 by Richard Dane
Ali,

I am using a Grandview 7ft widescreen. This is a manual screen with a decent drop to it, nicely blacked off for Widescreen viewing. It seems rugged and well made, the only demerit being that on particularly white scenes you can just make out the tension cables in the screen. Not a big issue and considering the very reasonable price, quite forgiveable. The screen drops nice and straight with no evidence of curl and the flatness is good too with no odd distortions from peaks, troughs or undulations.

I have it hanging on two ceiling hooks. So long as your ceiling is white then it's very unobtrusive when rolled up.

Good stuff, although I realise that if you spend much more on a dedicated screen it gets even better. For now this will do me just fine and it takes just a moment to turn my living room into a full-on home cinema...
Posted on: 03 May 2005 by Steve G
quote:
Originally posted by arf005:
IE. Manufacturer.... Did you use a local company in Edinburgh Steve.... Fixed to the wall or pull down...??? etc etc.

My screen (and all the rest of my AV setup) was from Sevenoaks in Edinburgh. I don't recall the make of the screen but it was a couple of hundred quid for an 8ft manual pull down (the layout of my room makes than necessary).

No complaints so far. I haven't taken any pictures since the room was completed but here's one taken just after I'd put the screen up:

Posted on: 03 May 2005 by arf005
Thanks guys for the info.

Our ceiling is white Richard but the rest of the room is anything but! Plus, like Steve, we are using our upstairs room in the extension of our bungalow. And as the pic shows space is at a premium....

If I spread the CM's a little further apart we have room for a 6 foot screen but I'm thinking we'll have to go for a fixed screen. Not a problem as it's a dedicate room anyway, with a futon so doubling as a spare bedroom, but the combed ceiling could be a problem.
I've checked throw distances and room dimensions etc and there is room for it, but the actual purchase will be some time......I'm just doing my research early!
We popped into Sevenoaks in Edinburgh on our last visit to our home town, and were both impressed with the Infocus 4805 in their demo room, which was the beamer I had half an eye on anyway. Plus we now have a Sevenoaks in Aberdeen, again, and hopefully it will be here for a while....

Plus by the time it comes round for us to make a purchase the prices will have hopefully dropped.....

Cheers,
Ali
Posted on: 03 May 2005 by olgoat
I can just see one of the kids coming through the door now ;-)
Posted on: 03 May 2005 by Steve G
quote:
Originally posted by olgoat:
I can just see one of the kids coming through the door now ;-)

The room we use is a an extension over our garage and that door only leads to an ensuite bathroom. Even if someone is bursting for a pee during the film there is another bathroom behind where the picture was taken from.

We considering building the room without the en-suite but for future re-sell the house is more valuable with the extra ensuite - despite screwing up my home cinema layout!