DVD5 Probs... yet again.

Posted by: niceguy235uk on 20 August 2005

Well, i think i may just give up.

Settled down to watch a dvd the other night, only to find it wouldnt output a picture.

So, whilst fuming on the sofa stabbing at the tv AV button trying to get a picture i had a sudden thought- DVD5 set to display off when i was playing cd's the night before.

So i switched the dvd5 display on and hey presto, a picture.

Thats not all.

Playing a cd, if i press the next button to skip a track it doesnt play a small part of the beginning of the track, but then, thats only sometimes. Other times its ok.

Whilst i am over the moon with everything about the DVD5 i have to say im dissapointed with the, shall we say, 'stability' of the machine.

Anyone else with similar or other probs?

Maybe another firmware update?

We live in hope....

Regards
Jason
Posted on: 20 August 2005 by Manu
The last software version (2.6.6.112/DVc01-01) improves the CD track navigation and other bugs. Get it from your dealer or Naim, you can do the upgrade yourself.

Emmanuel
Euphonie
Posted on: 20 August 2005 by karyboue
I had a W-DOG on the screen of the DVD5 this afternoon playing a DVD. Image frozen, player frozen, impossible to start/stop/open/or anything. I had to turn it off in the back two times before it plays something.

How do we know the firmware version of the player ?
Posted on: 20 August 2005 by niceguy235uk
Thanks Manu but i do already have the latest version.

Keryboue, your dealer should be able to tell you how to access the firmware version of your player.

i was just interested to know if anyone still had any bugs after they had the update done.

My Arcam reciever has already had a firmware update and the unit has only just gone on sale.
I know most of you here may turn your nose up at Arcam but i have to say, that when they know about problems they get them sorted...and fast. Not that Naim dont sort things but i am starting to loose interest somewhat.

Just my opinion at the mo.
Regards
Posted on: 20 August 2005 by Ancipital
Haven't had any real problems since I updated the software, the only minor issue so far has been in Deep Space Nine series 4 on disc 6 where it picked up the german soundtrack first - a little bit odd!

That's just a minor niggle, not had anything happen since.

I have also played cd's through the DVD5 without any video issues anymore.

Steve.
Posted on: 20 August 2005 by David Dever
quote:
I had a W-DOG on the screen of the DVD5 this afternoon playing a DVD. Image frozen, player frozen, impossible to start/stop/open/or anything. I had to turn it off in the back two times before it plays something.

I had this happen (again) as well, after a brief power outage. Turning the machine off for 5 min. solved the issue.
Posted on: 24 August 2005 by karyboue
That's it, I updated my DVD5 with the latest firmware. Final reset is ... frightening Big Grin . When it first read a CD, it took 1 or 2 minute to "launch". After that, CD playing was ok.

I use the VGA NTSC 60hz output with pal discs, I noticed that the image was more fluid than before.

Anyone noticed that blacks and light were different ? Blacks seem more profond and a bit softened while the light of the image is darker ... or am I dreaming ? From the first images I saw, I think that I have to redo my TV settings, but I watched it by day while my VGA inputs are set for night-watch.

Next will be my AV2 update ... when my dealer finally learns how to ...
Posted on: 25 August 2005 by HiDefBob
They was one small problem in the beginning that if I left the unit on standby it would not remember the settings for syncing the video. I quickly solved that problem.

Ever since then it has performed almost perfectly (sometimes the drawer is slow to open). Whether I play DVD's, CD's or DVD-A's it does the job wonderfully! And I have often used the forward and backward buttons when watching movies. In fact all the buttons have worked flawlessly!

My dealer has the upgrade disk for me to borrow next time I visit ... but I am almost reluctant to install it! Why fix something that ain't broke!