Airport Express, Netgear Router, Vista Laptop HELP

Posted by: djftw on 05 June 2008

HELP!!! Have tried just about everything imaginable, but every time I think it is configured right and save the settings the Airport disapears and can't be found until it is reset and connected to directly again!

Has anyone done this themself and know what is going on?

Thanks,

Dom
Posted on: 05 June 2008 by garyi
Assuming you want to use it for music you need to set the express up as a print server.

Plug the express into you router then into a wall socket.

Open the airport utility which came on a CD.

The express should appear. Set it up as a wireless print server. It will scan the area for networks, pick your network and enter a password if it has one.

Click through until it is all set, the express will go green.

Unplug it from the router and wall and place it near your hifi, attach a SPDIF cable or mini jack cable and attach to your DAC/HIFI

you should be set.

Where people go wrong is setting the express up as a self contained wireless point. You want to set it up as a print server. (This is not very clear in the manual)
Posted on: 05 June 2008 by djftw
Now I am just getting a "Param -4" error from both the utility and assistant and can't get into the settings at all!
Posted on: 05 June 2008 by winkyincanada
Yeah, I had a similar problem with the AE disappearing from the Airport utility as a device to configure. I use a PC-based laptop with Windows XP pro. I was originally using the AE fine as both my main base-station and iTunes streamer. I then recently bought a TimeCapsule which I set up as my main network using the utility. As soon as I did that, the utility was unable to detect the AE at all (nor could Windows, I think). I ended up disconnecting from my main network (Timecapsule based) in Windows, restarting the utility and the AE then appeared all alone. I then added it to my main network (add to existing network option) in the utility (TC connection still disconnected in Windows) then re-connected to my main TC network in Windows, restarted the utility and both Apple devices then were present and working fine.

Hope this helps....
Posted on: 05 June 2008 by thesherrif
Well vista is a pain for a start but here goes. I recently installed an AE on my daughter's vista laptop and it took ages but this might help.

You need to ensure that you are going to add the AE to an existing network. You will need to know the name of the network and the network key. I've used this method on my XP laptop as well so I know it works.

I presume you are using the Airport setup assistant? I would suggest you reset the AE first by pressing something into the tiny hole on the AE, and then try the assistant.
One thing that does happen is that during the process you will get several messages saying connection has been lost etc etc....... be patient !! Don't press anything !! Wait a good while to see if the network is just sorting itself out to accept the AE. When the assistant says "congratulations" you've done the job !

You might like to check out this link

http://www.syschat.com/setting-up-airport-express-base-station-587.html

....... your problem is not uncommon !!!

Apple's documentation is absolutely crap with this product, but once it's working it's worth the wait.

Good luck
Posted on: 05 June 2008 by thesherrif
I should have said "existing wireless network". My AE is on a wireless network, not connected by ethernet to anything
Posted on: 05 June 2008 by djftw
Thanks all! Finally sorted, have had to change the security setting for the whole network as the AE wouldn't support the (then) existing ones! What a faf!