Apple and Firewire

Posted by: DHT on 22 October 2008

I was thinking about buying an Apple laptop, and perhaps a firewire dac ,but I have just read that Apple are dropping firewire, is that from all their machines or just laptops?
Posted on: 22 October 2008 by garyi
Firewire is on the way out, get a USB dac or use the optical facility on mac computers.
Posted on: 22 October 2008 by js
quote:
Originally posted by garyi:
Firewire is on the way out, get a USB dac or use the optical facility on mac computers.
I think it's only their cheapest laptop that lacks it.
Posted on: 22 October 2008 by garyi
Apple are ditching firewire, its well known.

That and the fact that most PC laptops don't even have it and never have the logical conclusion is might as well go with whats not going anywhere, USB.
Posted on: 22 October 2008 by Mark R
quote:
Originally posted by DHT:
... I have just read that Apple are dropping firewire, is that from all their machines or just laptops?

Just the new Macbook. The lower-priced, older-style Macbook still sports Firewire 400 and the new MacBook Pros support both Firewire 800 and 400. Also, the older Macbooks and Macbook Pros are getting heavily discounted on sites such as Amazon right now.
Posted on: 22 October 2008 by DHT
I think i read somewhere that ethernet was the future although it's been around for years in PC's.
Posted on: 22 October 2008 by imperialline
quote:
Originally posted by DHT:
I think i read somewhere that ethernet was the future although it's been around for years in PC's.

Oh come on man! Ethernet has always been the de facto standard of wired networking for more than 10,000+ years (please note it is not a typo).