Archos 5/7 media tablet with HDX?

Posted by: Peter Williams - Ainm Eile on 26 November 2008

Hi all

Has anyone tried these WiFi tablets with the HDX?

Might be a very nice solution. They have a Flash9 enabled version of the Opera browser on them and seem very slick...

Cheers

Peter
Posted on: 27 November 2008 by David Dever
Thanks, Peter, for the heads-up-will check this out shortly.
Posted on: 28 November 2008 by gary1 (US)
Peter, looks interesting. I like the fact that the web page gets fully exposed without all of the additional brightness you see at the periphery on a typical pc/mac web page interface with tools bars, etc... I will check out if if I can find a local dealer. Reviews have been very mixed from what I found and appears to be a bit high priced, esp. when you start with the adds ons, docking station etc..., esp. when the prices of "Netbook" computers is coming down into the $350USD range and I read that Asus will be looking at introducing a $200 one very soon.

The problem I see with all of these devices is the battery life. I use a tablet which works great, but find it necessary to keep it plugged in as I only get 2-3 hours on the charge. We really need devices to be 6 hours or so to be really convenient.
Posted on: 28 November 2008 by David Dever
A diskless version would be ideal in that regard–but the screen size definitely looks as if I'd stick to the front-panel movie (duplicates HDX front panel), not the TV movie, on these.
Posted on: 28 November 2008 by Peter Williams - Ainm Eile
Hi

Gary1 - True about the pricing - I am looking at it purely to run the front panel as a remote..

The new Lenovo netbook has an interesting twist compared to other netbooks in allowing the browser to be started 'instantly' without booting using an embeded version of Linux, with the XP installation available for full boot to handle the desktop client when needed.. The 8" version with the SSD option should be sufficient as a remote and seems to offer a decent battery life as well..

David - What is different about the TV movie - looks the same to me, although I must admit to not having looked too closely at it. I have been too busy feeding the damn thing disks Smile

Cheers

Peter
Posted on: 28 November 2008 by Gary S.
quote:
Originally posted by gary1 (US):
The problem I see with all of these devices is the battery life. I use a tablet which works great, but find it necessary to keep it plugged in as I only get 2-3 hours on the charge. We really need devices to be 6 hours or so to be really convenient.

Out of interest, which tablet do you use? We use a Nokia 810 and the battery life seems to be excellent. We only stick it on charge about once every four or five days.

Gary
Posted on: 28 November 2008 by gary1 (US)
Gary you are using an internet tablet and I currently use a tablet pc which we no longer needed at work. I like the much bigger user interface than a Nokia, but battery life is only about 3 hours. Even most of the new netbook computers with 8-10 inch screen last only about 4 hours with the 6 cell battery. If I hadn't had the extra tablet I'd probably go with the Nokia, but I do like the concept of the Archos and the "full web page" view.
Posted on: 28 November 2008 by Gary S.
Ah! my mistake, I thought you were talking about a similar device.

Regards

Gary