Sleeve Cleaning?

Posted by: Ade Archer on 23 April 2001

I have often found that second hand vinyl is often sold with irritating sticky price labels on the sleeve, which can sometimes leave a residue on the cover after removal, and I have sometimes had trouble completely removing labels from some CD covers.
Also, as CD's come in clear plastic cases, the inserts are protected from constant handling, but LP sleeves can become a little grubby.
Does anyone have any suggestions for gently cleaning covers without causing damage.

Cheers
Ade

Posted on: 23 April 2001 by Tony L
quote:
I have often found that second hand vinyl is often sold with irritating sticky price labels on the sleeve, which can sometimes leave a residue on the cover after removal
Also, as CD's come in clear plastic cases, the inserts are protected from constant handling, but LP sleeves can become a little grubby.
Does anyone have any suggestions for gently cleaning covers without causing damage.

Record sleeves come in three main types as far as I am concerned:

• Laminated: These are the thick heavy glossy covers I associate with 50s and 60s albums, they are by far the best quality, the strongest, and the easiest to clean. Often the label just peels off, though it is safe to use lighter petrol and soak the label first. I am never put off buying a album with a laminated sleeve because of labels.

• Coated: These have a slightly gloss finish, though the material appears to have been printed / sprayed rather than laminated. It is pretty easy to bugger these up, as peeling the label may lift the surface sheen leaving a matt area that is very visible. I once again advise soaking with lighter petrol for a few minutes, and then very slowly and gently peeling the label off.

• Matt: These are a real gamble, especially if they are a light colour. Lighter petrol can be surprisingly effective, though with certain labels can leave a stain. The petrol itself does evaporate leaving no real trace. Matt covers in light colours also pick up dirt over the years, a good tip is to use an artists putty eraser, these lift most dirt without leaving the traces of a conventional eraser. These sleeves need a protective outer more than the other types.

It is worth complaining to your second hand record shop if they use crap labels, most are collectors themselves and will change to a non-destructive label. The worst labels I have ever come across are those used by Music Video Exchange in London, they are responsible for destroying the covers of much very rare vinyl.

Tony.

Posted on: 23 April 2001 by Ade Archer
Thanks Tony,
A couple of useful tips there, I'll give them a go

Cheers
Ade