Which portable MP3 player?

Posted by: Top Cat on 29 December 2003

Hi folks.

I want an MP3/portable audio player for general use - not fussed about having 300 cds worth of capacity but to be able to store (say) 10 or 20 would be fantastic. Do care about sound quality, but also do want solid state if possible, and something that's small enough to wear whilst running or secreted in a jacket pocket whilst out & about, relatively well put together and if it can be done for under a ton-fifty then more the better.

Obviously iPod is out, being both too big, non solid state (I believe) and too pricy (gotta save for that Supercap, you know...) but I really don't know what's good and what isn't in the world of portable audio.

I've discounted portable cds and tape players for various reasons, but wouldn't mind whatever player I get having some sort of radio capability...

Can anyone advise?

Ta,

John

TC '..'
"Sun went down in honey. Moon came up in wine. Stars were spinnin' dizzy, Lord, the band kept us so busy we forgot about the time."
Posted on: 29 December 2003 by ErikL
Take a look at Nomad. They offer a wide variety of styles and capacities. iRiver's supposed to make a good player too, although I've never used one.
Posted on: 30 December 2003 by Rockingdoc
I use the tiny Sony. Get 2CDs on each 128Mb Memory Stick at best quality, I usually carry 3 or 4 sticks with me.
Advantage; very small and light, decent sound into Etymotic phones.
Disadvantage; expensive Memory (won't take clones), Sony protection system can be a pain if you want to use more than one PC as your "library"