Which music playing app sounds the best?

Posted by: SteveH on 20 August 2008

So far my experiments with playing back music from my MacBook Pro into both the SuperNait and the Chord Dac indicate that every music playing app sounds different.

This is using the MBP as a Mac or running Vista and taking the digital out optically via a Chord Optichord. Have set the sampling rate correctly btw, the Mac isn't doing any sample rate conversion.

The best results are using VLC so far.

What other apps really sound good?
Posted on: 20 August 2008 by PMR
Well, you have to find a reference that is equal to a CD player plugged directly into toslink or coaxial just to ensure you have a bit perfect, bit transparent stream from your PC. iTunes, Winamp, Foolbar all support bit transparency with the right settings. I.e. software settings matching the bit rate/sample rate of the file being played, with the volume control set to maximum or disabled. The only issue I can see by using the SuperNait and Chord DAC is whether they are immune to jitter like the Benchmark Media DAC1.

Peter
Posted on: 20 August 2008 by james n
Hi Steve - which ones have you compared ?

Cheers

James
Posted on: 20 August 2008 by gary1 (US)
quote:
Originally posted by SteveH

The best results are using VLC so far.

What other apps really sound good?

I believe for Mac this is what Benchmark has found. However, Steve this complicates the debate on the many threads currently going on distributed audio over ripping, DACS, playback quality since every program sounds different. I guess either you find a combination that each individual likes or you rely on Naim to determine what they like and sounds best with their equipment eg HDX and you pay the piper so to speak. With any stand alone dac their are many complicating issues determining playback. The individual needs to determine which is the best route for themselves.
Posted on: 20 August 2008 by pcstockton
They should all sound EXACTLY the same if they are:

1) Bit-transparent (perfect)
2) NOT over/up sampling
3) correctly bypassing K-mixer (in XP)
4) system volumes kept at 100%

My personal favortite is Foobar2000, BY FAR!!! I have tried Itunes, VLC, Winamp, WMP, J river, etc...
Posted on: 20 August 2008 by james n
I'm curious as to the differences. Steve what do you find different with VLC ?

James
Posted on: 21 August 2008 by SteveH
So far I've tried VLC, iTunes and Media Player seriously and Foobar quickly.

VLC produces the best balanced most interesting performance. iTunes seemed to bit a bit lacking in weight in the chest area. Media Player just didn't seem to involve me.

These were all used set so no resampling was needed or occurring afaik.

The Chord DAC has a four second buffer to reduce jitter - nothing is immune imho. DACs cab be good at reclocking maybe but not immune.

When I get a few spare minutes I'll do some more listening: this time with a notebook in hand.
Posted on: 22 August 2008 by NewNaimy
Hello,

I found out the same problem running iTunes on my iMac. The sound was flat, less of emotions and there was no real good bass. More by accident I had Windows running vie bootcamp and the sound was more complete. On the Mac side I tried several apps and I found the free Audion Software. That works pretty good, but I only used the analog way. But this threat shows, that the problem seems to be on the digital way as well.