Great wines that are under $30 (or there abouts)

Posted by: maxwellspeed on 26 October 2003

I thought we could use a good wine thread so here goes.

Artadi Vinas de Gane 1999 Rioja

nose: bright, vibrant cherry and raspberry; some dustiness and leather in the finish.

mouth: cherry and raspberry into just a touch of leather; silky finish; reminds one of a very good burgundy.

Picked this up for $16.99 on sale down from $21. R. Parker gave it a 90.

Posted on: 27 October 2003 by Richard Dane
Yes, I picked up a couple of cases of the '98 some years back as a bit of a blind punt.

I eventaully decided to sample a bottle a few weeks back. It's good, very good, but still seems a bit backward. I have decided to leave it for a few more years and then get back to it.

For the money (about Ģ6.99 per bottle from Majestic, If memory serves me right) it's a stonking bargain, right up there with Wynn's Cabernet and Penfolds BIN407. Shame Parker has "discovered" it....

Richard
Posted on: 29 October 2003 by Madrid
The 2000 Artadi Pagos Viejos is excellent, too. It is a more intense, concentrated wine made from old vines.

Cheers,

Steven
Posted on: 29 October 2003 by maxwellspeed
Steven,
Do you know what type of grape/grapes it is made from?
Posted on: 30 October 2003 by Madrid
quote:
Steven,
Do you know what type of grape/grapes it is made from?

Maxwell,

Itīs 98% tempranillo and 2% other (not sure what the "other" means). The Viņas de Gain is 100% tempranillo.

The Pagos Viejos is aged 24 months in french oak, whereas the Viņas de Gain is only aged 14 months in unspecified oak.

The Pagos Viejos is more expensive (it costs about €40 in Spain), but itīs a more special wine.

Happy Drinking,

Steve
Posted on: 30 October 2003 by Onthlam
OK fine it's not 30 whatever.

Try the ZD 2000 Reserve for $47.00.........
A most wonderful Chard as ever there was.........

PLEASE do not serve it to cold...52 or lower....

Regards,

Marc
Posted on: 30 October 2003 by Berlin Fritz
Hi People, My Friend Elaine reckons you're all talkin a load ov old bollocksē and I tend to agree with her, she's a card.
2003 a Brilliant Year, Not to be looked at until later, Just , What Can I Say, Do it just .
Paul.

Graham Ricketts
Posted on: 30 October 2003 by Tim Danaher
L. A. Cetto, Petite Sirah (sic)

Mexican wine (!), amazingly good. Cost Ģ17.00 in a restaurant, obviously cheaper at source. Big, bold & luscious

Cheers,

Tim

Os nid Campagnolo yw hi, dyw hi ddim yn werth ei marcho...
Posted on: 11 December 2003 by maxwellspeed
One that I have had before, but just had again last night with parmesan encrusted cod/sundried tomato pesto, and green beans.

The Fifteen

Around $10 u.s.

nose: dark cherry into blackberry-blueberry with a hint of strawberry and bits of black pepper
mouth: blackberry and cherry into leather/pepper/oak
Posted on: 11 December 2003 by Kevin-W
Dunno if you can get it Stateside, but Chateau Musar, from the Bekaa Valley in Lebanon is a superb, great-value red which you can get for around Ģ10 here.

Kevin
Posted on: 11 December 2003 by Berlin Fritz
quote:
Originally posted by maxwellspeed:
One that I have had before, but just had again last night with parmesan encrusted cod/sundried tomato pesto, and green beans.

The Fifteen

http://www.speakeasy.org/~maxwellspeed/wine/TheFifteen.jpg

Around $10 u.s.

_nose:_ dark cherry into blackberry-blueberry with a hint of strawberry and bits of black pepper
_mouth:_ blackberry and cherry into leather/pepper/oak

I'll take a Gallon Sir, and we'll work on a future price I reckon !
Yours, Swingingly, Fritz

Graham Ricketts

P.s. Sounds like Pipeline technology to me !!!